2014 NCAA Football Thread

Chicageaux

Winston staying in college can only hurt him. One year of good/decent behavior isn't going to change much perception... especially not after the Johnny Football debacle this year in Cleveland. Its the NFL. Its high risk, high reward. If he stays in school and either gets hurt, has a down year, or gets in to more trouble... then he is costing himself money. Who are we to tell a kid he can't go make a living.

(Regarding the bold: maybe not, but it could be really good for him)

Whether staying in school would help or hurt could go either way.

Generally, I think playing more college football better prepares a QB for the NFL than less. As good as Winston is (and Manziel was) we have to remember how young he is...he's only played two seasons of college football. I suspect, all else equal, that he'd be better served as a player if he stayed.

HOWEVER, I cannot blame him for striking while the iron is hot. He'll almost certainly be a top-5 pick. A down year next year could lead to a drop in draft status. It's also a fairly weak QB class (not that I know how good next year's will be).

And in addition, who knows whether he can keep himself eligible. There have been rumors about making money on autographs. And it's possible that some of his antics have him on thin ice at FSU. His immaturity kind of works both ways. On one hand, if he is committed to personal growth, one more year in college could really serve him well. But if he finds himself getting kicked out of school after week 3, he's probably screwed himself.

Anyway, as much as I'd like to think I'd stay in school, enjoy my youth, graduate and come out a better person, in his shoes, I'd probably get that first round NFL money too.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the Matt Leinart cautionary tale. Ever since him you haven't seen many big time prospects delay the NFL by a year. Leinart went back to USC for his senior year after winning a Heisman and a National Championship, and it really damaged his draft position. He didn't have a bad season, in fact it was better than his junior year in terms of yardage, but 2005 was a down year for QB's in the draft and a down year for the draft in general. Alex Smith went #1 overall, and Leinart probably would've gone number one if he'd come out early. Instead he fell to 10th in a stronger 2006 class and remember this is before the rookie pay scale. He lost at least 10 million in guaranteed money, and his contract gave him 6.5 million over 6 years. Alex Smith got 8.25 million a year for six years under his rookie deal with the 49ers.

That's roughly 22 million dollars that Matt Leinart paid to play the 2005 college season with USC.

Winston can't really improve his draft position at this point, but he can make it worse.

PvO6ZWJ.png

It's the Matt Leinart cautionary tale. Ever since him you haven't seen many big time prospects delay the NFL by a year. Leinart went back to USC for his senior year after winning a Heisman and a National Championship, and it really damaged his draft position. He didn't have a bad season, in fact it was better than his junior year in terms of yardage, but 2005 was a down year for QB's in the draft and a down year for the draft in general. Alex Smith went #1 overall, and Leinart probably would've gone number one if he'd come out early. Instead he fell to 10th in a stronger 2006 class and remember this is before the rookie pay scale. He lost at least 10 million in guaranteed money, and his contract gave him 6.5 million over 6 years. Alex Smith got 8.25 million a year for six years under his rookie deal with the 49ers.

That's roughly 22 million dollars that Matt Leinart paid to play the 2005 college season with USC.

Winston can't really improve his draft position at this point, but he can make it worse.

Excellent, excellent point, especially the rookie pay scale tidbit.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Jameis is making a mistake.

I don't think the NFL money is worth it and quite frankly, when you go pro after your sopohomore year.... how many times has it worked?

Being a top 3 draft pick is overrated, anyway.

The kid has literally nothing else to gain and everything to lose. Jameis could have gone pro after last season if not for the three year rule.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Didn't Matt Barkley do that too? He was the guy everyone though would go #1, but he stayed and got exposed by defenses and hurt.

Two Ducks fail drug tests and didn't travel.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2015/01/duck_ayele_forde_also_left_hom.html#incart_2box

Will there be another one before Monday?

I know Oregon filed an appeal for Darren Carrington's failed drug test, but the NCAA denied it. That's tough. You hate to see kids become ineligible for major games/championships.

So in terms of channels, here is what you have tonight:

ESPN: Fowler and Herbstreit with "traditional" game coverage

ESPN2: Film Room with Chris Spielman,Tom Luginbill, Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen, Pitt coach Pat Narduzzi, and Nebraska coach Mike Riley

ESPNEWS: Off the Ball. Bob Wischusen will host analysts Kevin Carter, Matt Millen, Jason Sehorn and Matt Stinchcomb, and Amani Toomer, study and dissect the game by focusing on the plays away from the ball, including in the trenches of the offensive and defensive lines, the wide receiver vs. defensive back matchups, coaching strategy and more.

ESPNU: ESPN Voices. A cross-section of ESPN on-air personalities from outside college football responsibilities as they watch and discuss the game, including Jay Bilas, Aaron Boone, Julie Foudy, Barry Melrose, Mark Schlereth and Michael Wilbon.

ESPN Classic: Sounds of the Game. Natural sound and the bands halftime performances.

Film Room was a revelation last year, and I will certainly be using that again this year. "Off the Ball" sounds like a wonderful concept, like Film Room on steroids or something, but I think that idea will play better when going back over the game instead of when the game is live. There comes a point where too many intricate details becomes cumbersome rather than helpful.

spacer.png

I'll probably watch a majority of the game on regular ESPN but may check out Film Room and Off the Ball just to see what they're saying during the game. Voices sounds interesting in that you're getting a group more like average fans (no former players or coaches) discussing the game but I could easily see it being worthless in that there'd be no in-depth knowledge about what's actually going on.

Can't remember if I made my pick on here or not. It's pretty bold, but I'm taking Ohio State by 20. I know that Oregon is due to win, and they have an amazing offense, no doubt. But, Ohio State put up great numbers against two of the best defenses in the nation in their last two games. I think Ohio State's defense will be the most physical defense that Oregon has faced, ahead of Florida State. I think their offense will also be one of the more well-rounded offenses that Oregon has seen all year. I like both teams, and I don't want to see either one lose, but I think Ohio State will beat Oregon tonight in what I feel might turn into a slight blowout.

Speaking of Film Room, I think Dan Mullen is gonna be the star of the show (like Sumlin was last year). Dude's pretty entertaining in interviews....getting 3+ hours of him will be a treat. He's smart as hell, too. Glad Florida lost him.

Heard Riley is pretty sharp, too. Haven't seen much with him since he's been left-coasting it for most of his career, both with the Chargers and Oregon State.

Archived