2014 NCAA Football Thread

Chicageaux

Sorry, I posted this on the Sports Logos Thread and it wasn't the place for it:

I guess I'm a little bit peeved. Everyone is saying "Congrats to the Buckeyes, they deserved to be here and they proved it." But in the next breathe, people say "Well, Alabama was overrated all year. Their defense was no where near as advertised." Then after last night, people are saying "Well, Oregon didn't look like themselves. They didn't play their normal style of football." Now people are saying "Well, TCU would have been a better Championship game." Where does the discrediting end?

Why is no one just saying "Damn it... No more excuses. Ohio State is the best team in the country. End of discussion"? I look at this team and in their last 3 games, they've played 3 completely different style teams. Wisconsin was a dynamic, running team. Alabama was a brutal, physical, pro-style team. Oregon was a fast paced, up tempo, gimmick team. They faced the 3 finalist in the Heisman Trophy voting, all at 3 different positions. So its not like it was all running backs and Ohio State had great run defense. It was a QB, WR, and RB. The Buckeye defense was thought to be the weakness in every one of these games, yet thet adapted and overcame 3 different offenses.

Because people like to talk about this sort of thing and everyone agreeing on that one point would make the discussion really short. Jeez. Enjoy the OSU win and be happy. Enough with the Ohio/Cleveland persecution complex.

FWIW, Buckeye Nation thinks of our Cleveland contingent as our "slow" cousins. They aren't exactly the part of the family that we like to draw attention to. B)

Also, I've read every NCG article, wrap up, etc. than I can get my hands on and not one of them has so much as mentioned the stuff he's talking about. Everything I've run across has been nothing but complimentary. Hell, half of them are saying things like "is this the beginning of an Ohio State dynasty?"

That's funny infared... The fandom I have come in contact with know that it is OHIO STATE Buckeyes... not Columbus Buckeyes... and they welcome and embrace fans from across the State. But I forgot you are you... and you find it necessary to have every one of your comments be so uniquely you.

Back on topic:

Sorry, I didn't mean that to come across as Ohio persecution (I see how that got mixed up). I meant it as whoever won, there shouldn't be some much discrediting. Everything was backhanded... it was "Wow congrats to *Winning Team*, they earned it, but... X, Y, Z." I guess that is the essence of being a fan. Its fanatical. You want to find reasons that are our of our control.

I was also referring to people in this thread and on these forums (not the National pundits... they have been extremely complimentary). After the Alabama game, the apologists were coming out of the wood work saying Alabama was overrated, the SEC was weak, the rise of Ole Miss and M-State hurt teams like Auburn and Alabama. After the Oregon game, people are saying well, it was the colors. Oregon didn't wear the right outfit, that contributed to how poorly they played. The Ducks didn't stay true to who they were and overthought their game plan. Now people are saying well TCU deserved to be there... it isn't really Undisputed because TCU wasn't in it. There has been a caveat at every turn.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Caveats at every turn? Sounds like college football to me.

Until there's a full-blown, NFL style playoff system with divisions and teams entering solely based on record, you'll have these squibbles. We still have polls, which is a bit of a farce when 3-loss teams get ranked ahead of undefeated teams.

This new playoff is perhaps a step in the right direction, but there will always be controversy tied to college football.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Speaking of the NFL, maybe a 6 team playoff could work. Get the P5 conference champions, and highest ranked G5 team. So this year, you would have Alabama, Oregon, Florida State, Ohio State, Baylor(Sorry TCU), and Boise State. Both so called "Wild Card" games are in the same, neutral site, such as Indianapolis or somewhere like that, or another bowl, and then are sent to the respective Rose and Sugar Bowls. Lowest seed goes to play Alabama. There, everyone is represented, and we don't water down the field too much.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Speaking of the NFL, maybe a 6 team playoff could work. Get the P5 conference champions, and highest ranked G5 team. So this year, you would have Alabama, Oregon, Florida State, Ohio State, Baylor(Sorry TCU), and Boise State. Both so called "Wild Card" games are in the same, neutral site, such as Indianapolis or somewhere like that, or another bowl, and then are sent to the respective Rose and Sugar Bowls. Lowest seed goes to play Alabama. There, everyone is represented, and we don't water down the field too much.

I know that byes in the NFL are an advantage since teams get an extra week of rest, etc.

But given the gap between the regular season and the bowl season, I wonder whether the bye would be a disadvantage. The "bye" team may be rustier than the team that played the previous week.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I guess I'm a little bit peeved. Everyone is saying "Congrats to the Buckeyes, they deserved to be here and they proved it." But in the next breathe, people say "Well, Alabama was overrated all year. Their defense was no where near as advertised." Then after last night, people are saying "Well, Oregon didn't look like themselves. They didn't play their normal style of football." Now people are saying "Well, TCU would have been a better Championship game." Where does the discrediting end?

Why is no one just saying "Damn it... No more excuses. Ohio State is the best team in the country. End of discussion"? I look at this team and in their last 3 games, they've played 3 completely different style teams. Wisconsin was a dynamic, running team. Alabama was a brutal, physical, pro-style team. Oregon was a fast paced, up tempo, gimmick team. They faced the 3 finalist in the Heisman Trophy voting, all at 3 different positions. So its not like it was all running backs and Ohio State had great run defense. It was a QB, WR, and RB. The Buckeye defense was thought to be the weakness in every one of these games, yet thet adapted and overcame 3 different offenses.

Because people like to talk about this sort of thing and everyone agreeing on that one point would make the discussion really short. Jeez. Enjoy the OSU win and be happy. Enough with the Ohio/Cleveland persecution complex.

FWIW, Buckeye Nation thinks of our Cleveland contingent as our "slow" cousins. They aren't exactly the part of the family that we like to draw attention to. B)

Also, I've read every NCG article, wrap up, etc. than I can get my hands on and not one of them has so much as mentioned the stuff he's talking about. Everything I've run across has been nothing but complimentary. Hell, half of them are saying things like "is this the beginning of an Ohio State dynasty?"

That's funny infared... The fandom I have come in contact with know that it is OHIO STATE Buckeyes... not Columbus Buckeyes... and they welcome and embrace fans from across the State. But I forgot you are you... and you find it necessary to have every one of your comments be so uniquely you.

It's infrared with two Rs, champ.

In response to your post: most people know "chop busting" when they see it - especially when it's followed with one of these B) Although the fact that you didn't get that does kind of prove my point, I suppose. "Buckeye Nation" refers to Ohio State fans around the world (and much like cockroaches, we are everywhere) not just Ohio. I never said we don't "welcome" Cleveland fans. (I even called you part of the family.) What I said was we see you as our "slow" cousins. There are a few reasons for that not the least of which is the persecution thing you all have going. I guarantee that when Oregon put up two quick scores in the 3rd quarter, you Cleveland folks were already writing off the Buckeyes and lamenting yet another heartbreaking loss. B)

Anyway, since I am me, I can't help but comment in a way that is unique to...well...me. Just like your comments are going to be "so uniquely you."

BB52Big.jpg

It's infrared with two Rs, champ.

In response to your post: most people know "chop busting" when they see it - especially when it's followed with one of these B) Although the fact that you didn't get that does kind of prove my point, I suppose. "Buckeye Nation" refers to Ohio State fans around the world (and much like cockroaches, we are everywhere) not just Ohio. I never said we don't "welcome" Cleveland fans. (I even called you part of the family.) What I said was we see you as our "slow" cousins. There are a few reasons for that not the least of which is the persecution thing you all have going. I guarantee that when Oregon put up two quick scores in the 3rd quarter, you Cleveland folks were already writing off the Buckeyes and lamenting yet another heartbreaking loss. B)

Anyway, since I am me, I can't help but comment in a way that is unique to...well...me. Just like your comments are going to be "so uniquely you."

All jokes bear semblance of truth... as you have a long history of "busting the chops" of your northern brethren... many of which were neither jokes nor in good fun.

I know that byes in the NFL are an advantage since teams get an extra week of rest, etc.

But given the gap between the regular season and the bowl season, I wonder whether the bye would be a disadvantage. The "bye" team may be rustier than the team that played the previous week.

In the current bowl season format... I think the additional bye week would hurt the teams. I don't think much more coaching could be gained from that week and the only real benefit would be a key injury healing, which always leaves the option of that additional week of someone getting hurt. Not to mention, how do you determine who gets they byes? We are back to the BCS conundrum... Alabama and Florida State would have gotten the byes, and subsequently knocked out.

The only way I think 6 works is 2 groups of 3, round robin. If teams tie, like the year Texas, Oklahoma, and Texas Tech all were 1-1 against each other, then you go to point differential... which could lead to some ugliness in college football.

That doesn't fix anything if you let Boise in. TCU is still screwed. Go to 8 if you require a Go5 champion.

At first, I was against only four playoff teams and wanted either 6 or 8, but after seeing it in action I don't want to see it expanded. I thought it was fantastic. It keeps the special feeling that these are the nation's elite teams and it squeezes importance out of two bowl games rather than 0, but it expands it just enough to eliminate errors that may be caused by biased voters and an imperfect system. The 3rd place team usually had an argument for being in the NCG, but the 5th place team not as much.

I really like this system and the first one delivered big time. I mean, at least as an OSU fan.

PvO6ZWJ.png

In the current bowl season format... I think the additional bye week would hurt the teams. I don't think much more coaching could be gained from that week and the only real benefit would be a key injury healing, which always leaves the option of that additional week of someone getting hurt. Not to mention, how do you determine who gets they byes? We are back to the BCS conundrum... Alabama and Florida State would have gotten the byes, and subsequently knocked out.

The only way I think 6 works is 2 groups of 3, round robin. If teams tie, like the year Texas, Oklahoma, and Texas Tech all were 1-1 against each other, then you go to point differential... which could lead to some ugliness in college football.

Here's a visual on how this could work:

BB3CFP.png

Took the Power 5 champions, with Boise State as the Group of Five representative. Once you have that, you go straight from the CFP rankings. Let's not over-think this, it is just an idea. People will always complain that they wouldn't be represented if they have four teams, so this sets a criteria, and allows everyone a shot.

That doesn't fix anything if you let Boise in. TCU is still screwed. Go to 8 if you require a Go5 champion.

I'm going strictly off the TCU-Baylor game. TCU could have beaten Baylor. Bob Bowlsby could've declared an actual Big 12 champion. Neither of these things happened, and a non-conference champion, in my mind, shouldn't have a shot a the national championship, a la Alabama in 2012. TCU was the better team, but they lost that game, and going off tiebreaker procedure, would not have been the Big 12 champion.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

At first, I was against only four playoff teams and wanted either 6 or 8, but after seeing it in action I don't want to see it expanded. I thought it was fantastic. It keeps the special feeling that these are the nation's elite teams and it squeezes importance out of two bowl games rather than 0, but it expands it just enough to eliminate errors that may be caused by biased voters and an imperfect system. The 3rd place team usually had an argument for being in the NCG, but the 5th place team not as much.

I really like this system and the first one delivered big time. I mean, at least as an OSU fan.

Agreed. I'd rather have one team too few than three too many.

BB52Big.jpg

I was also referring to people in this thread and on these forums (not the National pundits... they have been extremely complimentary). After the Alabama game, the apologists were coming out of the wood work saying Alabama was overrated, the SEC was weak, the rise of Ole Miss and M-State hurt teams like Auburn and Alabama.

Again, people have different viewpoints and want to expand on them. It's sort of the point of forums when you get right down to it. Are you upset that your opinion of a football game differed from someone else's opinion of a football game? If so then I don't know what to tell you.

In this case specifically the SEC in general, and Alabama in particular, has been so dominant for so long that Alabama's lose was going to be inevitably followed by people proclaiming the SEC weak out of sheer joy. That's sports.

After the Oregon game, people are saying well, it was the colors. Oregon didn't wear the right outfit, that contributed to how poorly they played. The Ducks didn't stay true to who they were and overthought their game plan.

:rolleyes: I suggest you reread the thread in the Sports Logos and Uniforms forum. No one is seriously arguing that Oregon lost because of their uniforms.

All jokes bear semblance of truth... as you have a long history of "busting the chops" of your northern brethren... many of which were neither jokes nor in good fun.

And you have a long history of being overly sensitive when it comes to all things Cleveland.

And you have a long history of being overly sensitive when it comes to all things Cleveland.

For the record... that sensitivity was when I first started in this forum, back as a young lad 3 or 4 years ago. I had a naive view point on sports and sports culture outside of my wheelhouse. The last 2-3 years have been much more balanced and opened minded. ;)

For the record... that sensitivity was when I first started in this forum, back as a young lad 3 or 4 years ago. I had a naive view point on sports and sports culture outside of my wheelhouse. The last 2-3 years have been much more balanced and opened minded. ;)

I say this with all sincerity...I get that :)

Finebaum is doing what Finebaum does. The SEC didn't win, so now we get the crazy Big 10 fans calling in...Jeff from Chicago (Ohio St. fan) might be the new Phyllis or Tammy.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

:rolleyes: I suggest you reread the thread in the Sports Logos and Uniforms forum. No one is seriously arguing that Oregon lost because of their uniforms.

Of course the comment I made was satirical, but I'm kinda glad Oregon lost while wearing uniforms devoid of their school's main two colors. Green and yellow is such a nice combo, and it would have offset the home look of Ohio State's red and gray. Instead, going white and black and silver was such a dull look. If Oregon wants to look like the Raiders, I'm glad their play and the result of the game looked like the Raiders, too.

It's so boring to see these schools get their moment in the spotlight and they bring out this boring-assed uniform that just about shuts off their colors. Hawaii went with a heavy white and silver look (with either black numbers or a green that was so dark it looked black) when they played in the Sugar Bowl. Northern Illinois went with an all-white look, I believe, when they played Florida State. Boise State has gone with an all-white uniform with thin blue letters/numbers and even lesser of orange. Oregon's gone with a white/silver/black look both times in championship game appearances.

Archived