2014 NCAA Football Thread

Chicageaux

I was at that Arizona-Cal game. Holy cow, I've never felt my heart race like it did during the last few minutes. I even started feeling dizzy. That game was incredibly exciting. Down 31-13 in the 4th quarter with onside kicks a hail marry to win it. Just incredible!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mississippi State center was just having the time of his life stomping and kicking people in the stomach and groin last night...this guy should be suspended for at least three games...

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/mississippi-state-football/video-dillon-day-stomps-lsu-players/

I agree

For all the Big Ten hate, the conference went 12-1 this weekend, including wins in 4/5 of games against Power 5 teams.

Thanks to Michigan for continuing to suck, though.

Michigan has just been super inconsistent the last few years. Hopefully they can turn things around... except, on second thought, a sucky Michigan team would be good for me :P

A very messy scenario could've played out last night. If Clemson won that game, they would be in the driver's seat for not only the division, but the conference.(Because face it, no one wants to win the Coastal) But due to Georgia beating them, making it to the Playoff was a thin wisp of a dream. FSU, since they didn't have Winston, probably wouldn't have fallen further in the polls than #6, would still would have a shot, providing just 2 teams fall in any week of the season, and they won out. So, at the end of the year, you could've had an ACC champion in Clemson, but then had a team in the CFP, Florida State, who had lost a game due to stupidity of their quarterback.

But, that just wasn't meant to happen.

I think this could help Florida State. No one has really impressed me this year, but to beat a good Clemson team without your starting quarterback, and to only hold them to 17 points is pretty damn nice, IMO. Still not the best, but I feel they deserve some more respect as a top-5 team this year.

Mississippi State center was just having the time of his life stomping and kicking people in the stomach and groin last night...this guy should be suspended for at least three games...

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/mississippi-state-football/video-dillon-day-stomps-lsu-players/

Yeah, that's not something you want to go around doing. The first time looked like it may have been accidental, but the fact that it happened twice means it probably wasn't. He also shoved a guy down when Mississippi State was pinned inside the 5. It was a "smart" dirty play; it only cost 2 yards.

Taking a page out of Albert Haynesworth, I see.

With the B1G's poor performance today the SEC has locked up 2 playoff spots IMO.

It's the second week, nothing is guaranteed right now

The SEC locked up two playoff spots way before the season even started.

Very debatable.

There's a very, very good chance that there's only one team come December from the SEC that has fewer than two losses. Every team in the East has at least one loss so far (and would, presumably at best, get a second in the conference title game) and I just don't think it's all that likely to have a second team that only picks up one loss in the West.

If Bama runs the table in the division (which I think they will... none of the other teams impress me that much) then you're looking for one of those other teams to run the rest of their schedule. And I'm not sure there's enough separation between A&M, Auburn, MSU, Ole Miss, and LSU for one of them to do that.

Things should turn out really, really interesting. My gut says we'll see Florida State joined by the champions of the PAC-12, SEC, and Big XII.

6fQjS3M.png

And Wazzu is tied with Oregon at halftime. Now that would be a shocking upset.

Oregon will still prevail by a minimum of five scores.

Or one.

It was really to bad to see a blatant pass interference on Oregon missed by the officials with WSU down by a score. Oregon probably would have won anyway but I'd like to have seen it play out from that point.

Since I was belly-aching about the B1G last week, they looked like a legitimate 5th-best conference yesterday. Nice win for Indiana and a couple of other wins vs. decent opponents. Mostly against bad ones, though. Michigan looks awful.

Going into the conference season, I'll say Michigan State over Wisconsin in the B1G Title game. If it's not either of those teams, then watch out for Penn State or Ohio State in the East and Nebraska in the West. Still, even if Michigan State convincingly runs the table, they don't have the opportunity for any really impressive wins and I don't see the B1G involved in the first Dance.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

September 15, 2014 - Liberty Institute on behalf of its client, an Arkansas State University football player who wishes to remain anonymous because he fears retaliation by the university, sent a demand letter to university officials for violating his teams free speech rights for censoring a student memorial helmet sticker.

September 18, 2014 - ASU has overturned their decision to ban the cross on the back on the players helmets in part due to the 25,000+ emails sent to the president asking him to not bow to religious discrimination and a letter from the Liberty Institute that gave the school 3 days to fix the injustice or face potential legal action. I know most people on this forum were in favor of removing the cross, but for me, this is a big win on religious freedom and free speech.

Not a free speech issue. The players are paying for it now, aka not endorsed by a public university. They are doing it correctly and your're claiming a victory for religious freedoms?

Again, I'm all for religious freedom, but not with public money. Especially when it comes to public education.

I agree that is the right way to do it, but I'm seeing a modus operandi with this Liberty Institute after looking them up. What if there is a player on the team who is Jewish, Islamic, Athiest, or what have you, and doesn't want to wear it? I still feel that simple initials or number would have sufficed. Or something like what Boston College did last week, that was a really awesome and proper tribute. However, it is the bible belt and money talks.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

I know Maryland is just starting conference play this weekend (Indiana) but I don't think many people thought at this point Maryland would be 3-1... They could easily be 4-0 and ranked in the Top 25 if not for the last second field goal in the WVU game

What makes you think a potentially unbeaten Maryland deserves to be ranked? They didn't really seem all that impressive in their wins so far, aside from JMU.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

I know Maryland is just starting conference play this weekend (Indiana) but I don't think many people thought at this point Maryland would be 3-1... They could easily be 4-0 and ranked in the Top 25 if not for the last second field goal in the WVU game

What makes you think a potentially unbeaten Maryland deserves to be ranked? They didn't really seem all that impressive in their wins so far, aside from JMU.
I'm not saying Top 10 ranked or even Top 20... Maybe 22-25. Every game isn't going to be blowout central where they win by 30+ points every damn game, but THEY ARE WINNING. Isn't that the whole point of rankings? I find the rankings to be pointless because you can have an outstanding 4-0 team ranked 10th and 5 spots ahead of them is a less deserving 3-1 team. It happens all the time. Yes I know I am vouching for a 3-1 team to be ranked, but I hope you understand my point... And it's not like Maryland got man handled by WVU for that loss... It was 3 points at the last second... A team like that deserves a way better ranking than a team who has played and beaten 4 simple mediocre teams badly

I'm not saying Top 10 ranked or even Top 20... Maybe 22-25. Every game isn't going to be blowout central where they win by 30+ points every damn game, but THEY ARE WINNING. Isn't that the whole point of rankings? I find the rankings to be pointless because you can have an outstanding 4-0 team ranked 10th and 5 spots ahead of them is a less deserving 3-1 team. It happens all the time. Yes I know I am vouching for a 3-1 team to be ranked, but I hope you understand my point... And it's not like Maryland got man handled by WVU for that loss... It was 3 points at the last second... A team like that deserves a way better ranking than a team who has played and beaten 4 simple mediocre teams badly

Maryland has beaten the following teams. James Madison (a I-AA team), South Florida by a touchdown, and South Florida is like absurdly awful, and Syracuse, which may be a decent team and may not be a decent team-went to OT against Villanova, curb stomped Central Michigan. For the record, West Virginia will probably win 7-8 games and *shrugs*. In other words, a schedule that is full of mediocrity or worse.

Again, with limited data, who you play and how you win matters more than whether or not you won for rankings purposes.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Maryland has beaten the following teams. James Madison (a I-AA team), South Florida by a touchdown, and South Florida is like absurdly awful, and Syracuse, which may be a decent team and may not be a decent team-went to OT against Villanova, curb stomped Central Michigan. For the record, West Virginia will probably win 7-8 games and *shrugs*. In other words, a schedule that is full of mediocrity or worse.

Again, with limited data, who you play and how you win matters more than whether or not you won for rankings purposes.

I'll give you USF being awful, and JMU being a mid-high-level FCS school. But I'd give Nova credit. They're ranked 5th in the FCS polls right now, and it's not like FCS schools are "high school teams" as they're usually referred to as. Sure, Syracuse should've played better against them, but when a high-caliber FCS school gets a chance to play an FBS school, they're gonna try and get that win.

Then what exactly are JMU, USF, West Virginia, and Syracuse? The latter two might make a bowl, and one of the others' is absolutely dreadful, who was blown out by a mediocre NC State who struggled with new-ish FBS guys like ODU and Georgia Southern. And JMU is FCS, and aren't exactly a great power either. And it's not like they've beaten 2 of them anywhere near close to "badly". When you have the best 25 teams out of 129, just records alone aren't going to cut it. Especially when 4 games have been played so far this season. Style points have to be used to separate Utah from Oregon and so forth.

Your argument is like saying Maryland should be ahead of Georgia, just because Georgia lost to South Carolina? What? They lost a road game to a decent team (far better than anyone Maryland has played so far) and beat one that's also better than Maryland or anyone they've played. That's just dumb.

And just to further debunk your argument two teams that pretty much have near the same resume an unbeaten Maryland would have (Duke and Penn State) are 4-0, but due to a lack of competition they aren't ranked. And I don't see anyone in this thread vouching for them to be ranked.

I'll give you USF being awful, and JMU being a mid-high-level FCS school. But I'd give Nova credit. They're ranked 5th in the FCS polls right now, and it's not like FCS schools are "high school teams" as they're usually referred to as. Sure, Syracuse should've played better against them, but when a high-caliber FCS school gets a chance to play an FBS school, they're gonna try and get that win.

But they still aren't very good, if they were any FBS team, how many teams could you say they are definitively better than? 10?, 20? That'd probably make them a low-tier FBS team. And when you're a Power 5 school, regardless of whether you're Alabama or Syracuse. You're usually expected to win those games, because your athletes are usually better than theirs.

I've never heard or referred to an FCS School as a "high school team", but I can't say I know what they say in your neck of the woods.

Lastly, yes an FCS team will try to win. What the hell is the point of playing if you try to lose? While they may be there for the paycheck, to presume they "play to lose" is just ludicrous.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Then what exactly are JMU, USF, West Virginia, and Syracuse? The latter two might make a bowl, and one of the others' is absolutely dreadful, who was blown out by a mediocre NC State who struggled with new-ish FBS guys like ODU and Georgia Southern. And JMU is FCS, and aren't exactly a great power either. And it's not like they've beaten 2 of them anywhere near close to "badly". When you have the best 25 teams out of 129, just records alone aren't going to cut it. Especially when 4 games have been played so far this season. Style points have to be used to separate Utah from Oregon and so forth.

Your argument is like saying Maryland should be ahead of Georgia, just because Georgia lost to South Carolina? What? They lost a road game to a decent team (far better than anyone Maryland has played so far) and beat one that's also better than Maryland or anyone they've played. That's just dumb.

And just to further debunk your argument two teams that pretty much have near the same resume an unbeaten Maryland would have (Duke and Penn State) are 4-0, but due to a lack of competition they aren't ranked. And I don't see anyone in this thread vouching for them to be ranked.

But they still aren't very good, if they were any FBS team, how many teams could you say they are definitively better than? 10?, 20? That'd probably make them a low-tier FBS team. And when you're a Power 5 school, regardless of whether you're Alabama or Syracuse. You're usually expected to win those games, because your athletes are usually better than theirs.

I've never heard or referred to an FCS School as a "high school team", but I can't say I know what they say in your neck of the woods.

Lastly, yes an FCS team will try to win. What the hell is the point of playing if you try to lose? While they may be there for the paycheck, to presume they "play to lose" is just ludicrous.

I don't hear it here on the boards, as people here are usually more educated than that, but I hear it quite a bit elsewhere. I think some FCS schools could finish towards the top of some of the smaller conferences if they were FBS, especially after a few years of getting better recruits. You have NDSU who has more Big 12 wins in the last few years than Kansas, granted it's Kansas, but NDSU can still play well. And you have EWU that upset Oregon State last year and NEARLY beat Washington this year. I'm not saying the FCS top-25 could compete with the FBS top-25, that'd be ridiculous. Like I said, Syracuse, being a mid-level ACC school, should've done better against Nova. But, compared to quite a few FBS schools, Villanova isn't necessarily a slouch. Not sure if I'm completely getting my point across or not, so sorry if there's still some confusion.

Archived