2014 NCAA Football Thread

Chicageaux

Florida committing self-inflicted mistake after self-inflicted mistake and being in danger of losing a game they should have already won.

In other news, yes, the sky is still blue. Ok then. My belief system remains intact.

--

17-10 lead in the fourth quarter, and...

1st chance at a two-score lead --> fumble

2nd chance --> dropped pick-six in the endzone

3rd chance --> TD wiped out via holding

4th chance --> blocked FG

and then, with a chance to pin South Carolina deep with no timeouts and less than a minute left --> blocked punt

Lose in overtime.

Funny. Two good games, one of them against feckless Vanderbilt, didn't mean the problems in Gainesville were solved. The Gators just went 1-3 at home inside the SEC this season. Wonder when that last happened (unless it happened last year; then the time before that).

I was kind of thinking when they were up 14 that, barring a disaster against Eastern Kentucky, if they kept it respectable against FSU (or managed to win), he'd have deserved to keep his job -- whether or not that would be the best thing for the program is a different story. Now he should be fired regardless of what happens at FSU.

IUe6Hvh.png

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So now Tech goes from beating mediocre teams and choking in big games to... only showing up against ranked opponents.

Seriously, that was pretty awesome, seeing Martin miss 2 FG's. Nothing personal, it's just after what happened last year, I'd say we're about even. There's a reason they weren't giving one-loss Duke a lot of love folks.

Cole Stoudt is a sorry excuse for a quarterback. The referees were terrible both ways too, but that's a lesser issue. This game was hard for me to watch, since I now have connections with both schools, even tougher in the the stadium with terrible winds, and knowing no matter what, you'll win and lose.

But, I want to go to Miami, so I showed up in Clemson gear.

If he was that last Thursday, then what is he after today?

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

I'll be curious to see the rankings after today.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Oregon at one, Alabama at two (unless FSU is actually impressive for once). Maybe TCU out of the top 4?

The way Mississippi St. hung in there in Tuscaloosa, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't fall farther than, say, #5. Then again, they blew it with unforced errors and clock screw-ups, which the CFP committee will not like.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Oregon at one, Alabama at two (unless FSU is actually impressive for once). Maybe TCU out of the top 4?

TCU definitely falls out of the top 4, they almost lost to a team with 3 wins and only 1 conference win.

TCU definitely falls out of the top 4, they almost lost to a team with 3 wins and only 1 conference win.
Yeah, I think TCU's near-loss is what will give Baylor the edge now between those two, if it comes down to that.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

The way Mississippi St. hung in there in Tuscaloosa, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't fall farther than, say, #5. Then again, they blew it with unforced errors and clock screw-ups, which the CFP committee will not like.
Their backdoor cover, I mean late TD to cut it to 5, is going to loom large in their favor to the Committee. Making it a one score game on the road will help them when all 1-loss teams are compared side-by-side.

My Prediction for Top 4:

If FSU wins:

1. Oregon

2. Alabama

3. FSU

4. Mississippi State

If Miami wins:

1. Oregon

2. Alabama

3. Mississippi State

4. TCU

I see Mississippi State dropping off to at least 5, if not lower.

Assuming FSU win, this will be the top 4, I think:

1. Florida State

2. Oregon

3. Alabama

4. TCU

Alabama jumps TCU, and Miss. State is at #5.

Cole Stoudt is a sorry excuse for a quarterback. The referees were terrible both ways too, but that's a lesser issue. This game was hard for me to watch, since I now have connections with both schools, even tougher in the the stadium with terrible winds, and knowing no matter what, you'll win and lose.

But, I want to go to Miami, so I showed up in Clemson gear.

If he was that last Thursday, then what is he after today?
Scapegoat of the year.

Really, the loss isn't the big concern. GT's offense is one of the hardest to stop, but they still only accounted for just 15 points. The main concern for Clemson is Desean Watson. He is one of the most explosive players I've seen in a while, and to see his meteoric rise, fall, rise again, and fall again is something to watch for in the future. In the more immediate future, how can they sustain? I mean, we don't when Watson will be back, if he will be. The running game will have to be huge for at least the South Carolina game.

With the loss today and the VT win, the race for ACC #2 is jumbled. Both Clemson and GT are done with conference games, and Duke still has UNC (on a Thursday) and Wake. It will be interesting to see who is ranked higher at the end of the year, especially if GT loses to FSU in the championship. But of course, FSU can lose tonight and none of this will matter.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Ha! Notre Dame loses to Northwestern at home in OT. Precipitous fall for the Irish.

---

If Florida State wins:

1. Florida State (Although like See Red said, their "big wins" are getting smaller. Could be #2 either way.)

2. Oregon

3. Alabama

4. TCU

5. Mississippi State

6. Arizona State

If Florida State wins, but in another unconvincing close game:

1. Oregon

2. Florida State

3. Alabama

4. TCU

5. Mississippi State

6. Arizona State

If Florida State loses:

1. Oregon

2. Alabama

3. TCU

4. Mississipi State

5. Arizona State

6. Ohio State

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Well, here's one of the biggest tests for Florida State. They're off to a bad start already. I'd love to see FSU win it all this year, but they just haven't been impressive. Hopefully this is the game they turn it around. They definitely need to buckle down on defense and Winston needs to start leading them down the field.

I was kind of thinking when they were up 14 that, barring a disaster against Eastern Kentucky, if they kept it respectable against FSU (or managed to win), he'd have deserved to keep his job -- whether or not that would be the best thing for the program is a different story. Now he should be fired regardless of what happens at FSU.

The Gators could easily be 8-1/7-2 right now. They are 5-4 and routinely beaten in their own backyard instead. As much blame as I'll justly lay at the feet of the players, at the end of the day, the coaching on this team is abysmal. Offensively, defensively, special teams, what-effing-ever. Obviously it's not made any easier to watch this while Florida State routinely has four leaf clovers up their asses but, at the end of the day, there needs to be a coaching upheaval, and fortunately it is coming soon.

spacer.png

Archived