2014 NCAA Football Thread

Chicageaux

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Florida State does not deserve to be number 1 in any way...

Why not? They're undefeated, the only one from a Power 5 conference who's actually played a schedule. They may not win by 40 every game, but Florida State finds ways to win games, there has to be something to be said for that.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Why not? They're undefeated, the only one from a Power 5 conference who's actually played a schedule. They may not win by 40 every game, but Florida State finds ways to win games, there has to be something to be said for that.
It seems like they get lucky EVERY SINGLE WEEK. Their luck has to run out soon

Why not? They're undefeated, the only one from a Power 5 conference who's actually played a schedule.

Except they really haven't...

Florida State has not played a single top-25 team.

If Northwestern upsets #18 Notre Dame and no one is around to see it, is it actually an upset?

I love Louisville's chances against ND next week and predict that Holliman will break the INT record.

I'm really not sure how many points you'd have to give Notre Dame for me to bet on them next week. 17, at least.

And since everyone's doing it, my personal top seven...

1. Alabama

2. Oregon

3. Florida State

4. Baylor

5. Mississippi State

6. Texas Christian

7. Ohio State

Those top four teams are the ones I look at and think control their own destinies. Should be fun though.

6fQjS3M.png

Florida State's most impressive win, against Notre Dame, was gifted to them by a blown call that, without a doubt, completely decided the outcome of the game (look at the back of the endzone view if you still think it was the right call -- it wasn't). They really are the luckiest team in the country.

As far as Florida's new coaching vacancy, it had to happen. I like Will Muschamp -- seems like a nice guy and has really handled everything well -- and hope he does well as a coordinator and ends up with another, more successful coaching gig, but this program was going in the wrong direction. I don't know who the "realistic" candidates are, but I'm really excited to see who they get. Dan Mullen seems like a long shot, having already denied interest, but he would probably be their top target, right? I would prefer a guy who's been a head coach (last two coordinators they've hired as head coach, Zook and Muschamp, were disasters), but could see why they would go with somebody like Chad Morris at Clemson.

I don't know enough about this stuff to know who's a realistic target -- somebody like Art Briles or Gary Patterson? Rich Rodriguez? Lane Kiffin? Chad Morris? McElwain from Colorado State?

I'm very excited for things going forward, though.

IUe6Hvh.png

Florida State's most impressive win, against Notre Dame, was gifted to them by a blown call that, without a doubt, completely decided the outcome of the game (look at the back of the endzone view if you still think it was the right call -- it wasn't). They really are the luckiest team in the country.

As far as Florida's new coaching vacancy, it had to happen. I like Will Muschamp -- seems like a nice guy and has really handled everything well -- and hope he does well as a coordinator and ends up with another, more successful coaching gig, but this program was going in the wrong direction. I don't know who the "realistic" candidates are, but I'm really excited to see who they get. Dan Mullen seems like a long shot, having already denied interest, but he would probably be their top target, right? I would prefer a guy who's been a head coach (last two coordinators they've hired as head coach, Zook and Muschamp, were disasters), but could see why they would go with somebody like Chad Morris at Clemson.

I don't know enough about this stuff to know who's a realistic target -- somebody like Art Briles or Gary Patterson? Rich Rodriguez? Lane Kiffin? Chad Morris? McElwain from Colorado State?

I'm very excited for things going forward, though.

Art Briles has never been out of the state of Texas for longer than a week in his whole life.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/art-briles-baylor-football-coach-is-a-rising-star-who-loves-his-native-texas/2013/12/04/35e70d88-5cfc-11e3-8d24-31c016b976b2_story.html

He will turn 59 in two weeks.

Gary Patterson's wife has lived in Fort Worth since age 8, outside of living in Austin for college.

Plus both schools can easily match Florida's offer.

AD Jeremy Foley has twice hired head coaches with zero head coaching experience. Zook and Muschamp. Those two were a combined 50-34.

Muschamp also seemed unable to hire assistants well, something else he never did before and had to do it at the highest level. In four season, he went through TEN offensive assistants, notably 4 OL coaches and 3 OCs.

All in all, the hiring of a top assistant to be a first time HC at a Power 5 school is such a risk for any AD.

We must not be watching the same games. There's lucky and then there's working hard and finding a way to win. Did we get lucky on Los' TD? :censored: yeah, we did but that wasn't the only play that won us the game.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Every team gets lucky. If you want an example of a team that got lucky to win games, just look at Auburn last year. Florida State wins games because they play hard (unfortunately, selectively in the second half) and they find a way to win. Who's to say they wouldn't find a way to win against a team like Alabama or Oregon? Florida State is as tough as any top-10 team this year. Sure, the final scores are close, but the way they play to win the game is truly astonishing and their victory itself, despite all the adversity, should be enough to gain the respect of the nation. But apparently a lot of people are too blind-sided to realize that this year, a win is a win, and to play like they have to be able to come back this many times is a true testament to the group of fighters they have.

We must not be watching the same games. There's lucky and then there's working hard and finding a way to win. Did we get lucky on Los' TD? :censored: yeah, we did but that wasn't the only play that won us the game.

They have to "work hard" and "find ways to win" because they're down in damn near every single game. And not just by 3 or 7 points either.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

If Northwestern upsets #18 Notre Dame and no one is around to see it, is it actually an upset?

I love Louisville's chances against ND next week and predict that Holliman will break the INT record.

I'm really not sure how many points you'd have to give Notre Dame for me to bet on them next week. 17, at least.

I bet that ND would score less than 24 points on Louisville's D.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Nah, they'll score at least 24, but they'll turn the ball over 4 times, miss 2 field goals, and give up 52 points.

spacer.png

Nah, they'll score at least 24, but they'll turn the ball over 4 times, miss 2 field goals, and give up 52 points.

I would agree with them turning the ball over 4 times (all to Holliman for giggles), and missing two field goals, but I also disagree about the last thing. The Cards just lost their starting QB for the whole year and have to start a true freshman. That being said, with the weapons the Cards have (DeVante Parker and Michael Dyer), they will put up points against the Irish and the D will do just enough for the win. Prediction: 45-21 Cards.

I would agree with them turning the ball over 4 times (all to Holliman for giggles), and missing two field goals, but I also disagree about the last thing.

Dude, you do realize Northwestern had nearly 550 yards of offense Saturday, right?

The same team that scored a combined 16 points in its last two games? Against Iowa and Michigan?

6fQjS3M.png

Louisville could be playing the Leinart-Bush USC teams or the early 2000s Miami Hurricanes or Alabama and you'd predict a 45-21 win. Stop it.

That ND team is nothing compared to the USC teams of the early 2000's and even if they did play them, Louisville would get manhandled by them. The only reason I say that Louisville would beat ND is because Golson turns the ball over a lot and that is not a good thing against a stout Louisville secondary led by Gerod Holliman. Plus Arizona State demolished them and I wouldn't be surprised if the Cards beat them as well. I really don't want to argue to you about this, but Louisville beating ND is a real possibility this week and if ASU could do it, then the Cards can do as well..

Florida State has beaten 0 top 25 teams. Regardless, they will be in the playoff if they win out. Fair or not.

And Bama has exactly one: Mississippi State. Looking at Top 25 wins only matters at one point in the season. After the regular season and CGs. The damn polls change every week thus making using that "stat" as a bench mark pointless.

They have to "work hard" and "find ways to win" because they're down in damn near every single game. And not just by 3 or 7 points either.

The will to win is hard to quantify, I know exactly what situations this team has been in. I've watched every game this season and attended three in person.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Also, I'd say Clemson with Deshaun Watson at the helm is a Top 25 team, without him, they're not even Top 50. I'm sorry, but Cole Stoudt is the type of guy you'd root for, except for the fact that he's a complete abomination of a quarterback.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Archived