2014 NCAA Football Thread

Chicageaux

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure... but they can't screw this one up. I said it was a bad move to get rid of Rich Rod, as Rich Rod's teams were progressing unlike Hoke's who are regressing.

I think they have to look at Harbaugh (Jim or John) and Les Miles. They need to get it right. I WANT them to get it right. Michigan shouldn't be finishing with 4 or 5 losses. Michigan should always be one of top programs in the country.

Harbaugh to Michigan is a pipe dream, and I'm talking about Jim. I don't think they were even thinking they could get John. The only way Jim gets to Ann Arbor is if he is shown the door at San Fran, which is not likely to happen this year. I'm not sure they could even get Les Miles anymore either.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

The whole UAB ordeal really makes me sad. The team looked like it was starting to build itself up, but I guess it's more successful sister school gets its say.

With Hoke out, I don't see the big deal about Jim Harbaugh stepping down to coach Michigan. Hoke was making over $4 million, and you know Michigan would be honored to have him as a coach. With talks of him getting traded, I wouldn't find it too surprising to see him go to Ann Arbor. Nick Saban stepped down from the NFL, and it worked out pretty damn well for him. Harbaugh has done a much better job in the NFL, but I feel like he'd be a great fit at the collegiate level. He seems like he'd be a coach that college kids would love.

The difference with Saban is that he's an established college coach who experimented with the NFL, but realized it wasn't for him so he went back to college.

Harbaugh, on the other hand, is an established NFL coach. Sure, this year hasn't been great, but his success the past 3 years makes up for that. If the Niners can him (which would be stupid on their part) I guarantee he'll be picked up by another NFL team fairly quickly.

According to Football Scoop (I'm not sure how reliable they are, though), Florida is expected to offer the head coaching job to Jim McElwain.

http://footballscoop.com/news/sources-florida-expects-jim-mcelwain-next-head-coach/

Scott Roussel operates footballscoop.com while Pete, his brother operates coachingsearch.com

In 2012, Bruce Feldman covered their "feud" when he worked for CBS.

Both have gotten their act together in the last three years, more on who is getting fired than who is hired. Both are connected to assistant coaches around the country at all levels.

1) Alabama

2) Oregon

3) TCU

4) Florida State

HA. HAHA. HAHAHA. HAHAHAHA. Ha-larious.

10410108_825030674207236_449633955794185

TCU jumps Florida State. This tells me that it's about travel as much as TV and competitive games. Alabama as the one seed would go to the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans, not far for team or fans to Travel, and Florida State also gets a close venue. While Oregon heads to the Rose Bowl not across the country to New Orleans. The Biggest Travel would be 3-seed TCU.

So now with TCU at 3 and Baylor at 6, I don't know if Baylor jumps TCU simply by beating K-State this Saturday. It helps that K-State is at 9 now, but that is a decent amount of space to cover if Baylor is supposed to jump TCU AND force them out. Could an undefeated Florida State be left out of the Top 4?

Seriously, if Florida State skates by in another close game vs Georgia Tech and Ohio State beats Wisconsin and Baylor beats Kansas State, do the Seminoles get the boot?

Also with Arizona at 7 (gag me), a win over Oregon would easily solidify them in the Top 4 (gag me) wouldn't you think? (kill me)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Rumors are that Harbaugh has already told Michigan he isn't interested.

McElwain will be a great get for Florida if they can land him. They'll be throwing around a lot of money this offseason, though. Muschamp is getting around $6M (not sure what it is if he takes a coordinator job next year) to leave and McElwain's buyout is $7.5M.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

There's no way they would leave the only undefeated team in the nation out of the playoffs. I mean if it was Marshall or something sure, but an undefeated defending national champion Florida State? No way they would leave them out. That would be a huge image blow to the CFP in it's first year.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

McElwain will be a great get for Florida if they can land him. They'll be throwing around a lot of money this offseason, though. Muschamp is getting around $6M (not sure what it is if he takes a coordinator job next year) to leave and McElwain's buyout is $7.5M.

The buyout, as I understand it, is negotiable and there's a number of ways UF can approach it. Florida has very deep pockets, and they're probably only getting deeper with the SEC Network (perhaps dfwabel can chime in with some exact numbers), so there's that.

IUe6Hvh.png

Alabama and TCU have won close games as well. They haven't been in as many close games as FSU, but they've still been in them. Bama lost to Ole Miss, who got destroyed by an SEC bottom-feeder of Arkansas. Let's not forget how close Bama was to losing to Arkansas. I know Bama plays more quality opponents, but hey, Bama ain't still undefeated. Neither is Oregon. Or TCU. Or Ohio State. Or Baylor. And the list goes on and on and on.

So now with TCU at 3 and Baylor at 6, I don't know if Baylor jumps TCU simply by beating K-State this Saturday. It helps that K-State is at 9 now, but that is a decent amount of space to cover if Baylor is supposed to jump TCU AND force them out. Could an undefeated Florida State be left out of the Top 4?

Seriously, if Florida State skates by in another close game vs Georgia Tech and Ohio State beats Wisconsin and Baylor beats Kansas State, do the Seminoles get the boot?

Also with Arizona at 7 (gag me), a win over Oregon would easily solidify them in the Top 4 (gag me) wouldn't you think? (kill me)

With regards to TCU/Baylor: TCU is playing a lowly Iowa State team, while #6 Baylor is playing #9 Kansas State. However the 3-spot difference now might be too much to overcome. The question would be if TCU struggles against Iowa State and or loses, and Baylor handily beats a top 10 Kansas State, then it will open the door for the Bears. Though the Struggling against Kansas didn't really hurt TCU too much, so who knows?... One thing that I think is pretty clear is the committee thinks TCU is the better team.

If Florida State edges by GA Tech, and Ohio State beats Wisconsin handily, my four would be (Assuming Alabama and Oregon handle their business):

1. Alabama

2.Oregon

3. Ohio State

4. Florida State

In this scenario You knock out TCU. I think at that stage, an Ohio State team that not only beat but blew out one of the best defenses in the country with their third string QB would be enough for them to jump into the top 4. If both Ohio State and Florida State win close games, and TCU takes care of Iowa State, I don't see the order changing.

Though would the committee again look at a the Big Ten Conference Championship Game vs the Co-Champion of the Big XII that doesn't play a traditional Conference Championship Game and have Ohio State leap frog TCU? Hard to say as we don't know how much CC Games matter, I would think they would matter a lot more than H2H seems to matter, but it's hard gauge.

Florida State just has to win, like Kewp said, at the end of the season an undefeated Power 5 Conference Champion being left out of the CFB Playoffs is just going to make the committee look bad. Florida State, albeit lucky, and whatnot has won every game this season, and the only Power 5 team to do so. If they beat GA Tech, they're in., regardless of how close the game is.

Arizona beating Oregon in the Pac12 Championship doesn't necessarily get the Wildcats into the top 4. It would depend on what Alabama, Florida State and TCU, Ohio State and Baylor all do. I see Arizona getting in ONLY if the beat Oregon AND another top 6 team losing. It might not be fair, since Arizona would have beaten Oregon twice, but I think that's way it would play out. Then again, the Pac12 Conference Champion beating the #2 team in the country twice would certainly create a tough decision to leave them out of the top 4.

The buyout, as I understand it, is negotiable and there's a number of ways UF can approach it. Florida has very deep pockets, and they're probably only getting deeper with the SEC Network (perhaps dfwabel can chime in with some exact numbers), so there's that.

Schools have yet to see any SEC Network revenue nor any revenue from the new playoffs. Also, Muschamp is due $3.2M of his $6M owed in the next 30 days (so Florida UAA donors will be asked for that first).

As far as the CSU buyout, that can still be negotiated and even paid with installments. The school can pay a portion and the coach can pay the difference, as RichRod did after being taken to court by WVU.

Missouri moves up only one spot to 16... where's Rodney Dangerfield when you need him?

YOU LOST TO INDIANA. AT HOME.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived