2014 NCAA Football Thread

Chicageaux

It's just that the byes themselves would be pretty controversial, so it's not a perfect system. Four teams is perfect... It's the committee that's the issue.

4 is inherently imperfect. You have 5 major conferences. Therefore, it's imperfect.

...not including, at the very least, a chunk of decent mid-major schools.

Imperfect if you think every conference winner needs to get in. I don't. I want the four best teams, and I definetely don't need mid-majors. If they're good enough, then fine. But I don't see why Boise State should be thrown in just because. As far as excitement and making sure the best team is crowned, I think four is perfect.

Boise State isn't in this year's discussion. If you are going to have 5 major conferences, then you need to have minimum of 5 playoff slots. 6 is unwieldy, 8 is the ideal number, in the current situation. If there were 4 conference of 16, then I'm good with 4 and the conference champs make it in.

The first year of the CFP is the perfect example as to why 4 teams is imperfect. Think if Notre Dame would have went undefeated or only lost to FSU, they would be in the discussion. Think if Boise State scheduled a heavy non-conference schedule with like USC, Georgia, and Wisconsin. Then I would say you can make a case for Boise State or other Mid-Major.

8 eliminates the discussion of weather a 1 loss team more deserving of an undefeated. Or if a 2 loss is more deserving than a 1 loss. You can put the Conference Champs in, seating is based on conference head to heads, and then its 3 teams from the best of the rest. You can get your 2nd SEC team in, you can have Baylor and TCU.

No it doesn't. Eight teams just moves that discussion back a few rankings. You'll be arguing the about if a three loss Big 5 team is more deserve than a one-loss mid-major.

No... it doesn't move the discussion back. The discussion ends at 8 because you are including all 5 conference champs, as well as 3 at large teams. It is the perfect compromise. There SHOULD be less at large slots than champion slots. If there are 3 mid-major teams ranked 6-8, then they get in. Its their responsibility to make their resume comparable to the Big 5 conferences. Anything outside of the top 8 doesn't have a REAL chance at winning the National Title, nor should a team outside of the top 8 DESERVE to be in the discussion. If Boise State wants to be considered, then switch conferences, or fill your schedule with Power 5 teams... and good ones... not Iowa State, Indiana, and Washington State.

8 teams draws a definitive and clear line. If you aren't good enough to be in the top 8, then you aren't good enough to win title. The line of demarcation is clear. The waters become a lot less muddy the closer you get to #10.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, and when you get a three or four loss power 5 conference champion?

Then there is no issue because precedent is set that all 5 power 5 champions make it.

Like I said, the line of demarcation is clear. If you win your major 5 conference, you are in. End of discussion. That's a hell of a lot easier pill to swallow than saying TCU was ranked #3, but got jumped by FSU, tOSU, and Baylor, but all TCU did was beat Iowa State by 40+, and yet still, only FSU and tOSU make it in instead of Baylor or TCU.

Its clear.

It's just that the byes themselves would be pretty controversial, so it's not a perfect system. Four teams is perfect... It's the committee that's the issue.

4 is inherently imperfect. You have 5 major conferences. Therefore, it's imperfect.

Imperfect if you think every conference winner needs to get in. I don't. I want the four best teams, and I definetely don't need mid-majors. If they're good enough, then fine. But I don't see why Boise State should be thrown in just because. As far as excitement and making sure the best team is crowned, I think four is perfect.

Boise State isn't in this year's discussion. If you are going to have 5 major conferences, then you need to have minimum of 5 playoff slots. 6 is unwieldy, 8 is the ideal number, in the current situation. If there were 4 conference of 16, then I'm good with 4 and the conference champs make it in.

The first year of the CFP is the perfect example as to why 4 teams is imperfect. Think if Notre Dame would have went undefeated or only lost to FSU, they would be in the discussion. Think if Boise State scheduled a heavy non-conference schedule with like USC, Georgia, and Wisconsin. Then I would say you can make a case for Boise State or other Mid-Major.

8 eliminates the discussion of weather a 1 loss team more deserving of an undefeated. Or if a 2 loss is more deserving than a 1 loss. You can put the Conference Champs in, seating is based on conference head to heads, and then its 3 teams from the best of the rest. You can get your 2nd SEC team in, you can have Baylor and TCU.

No it doesn't. Eight teams just moves that discussion back a few rankings. You'll be arguing the about if a three loss Big 5 team is more deserve than a one-loss mid-major.

No... it doesn't move the discussion back. The discussion ends at 8 because you are including all 5 conference champs, as well as 3 at large teams. It is the perfect compromise. There SHOULD be less at large slots than champion slots. If there are 3 mid-major teams ranked 6-8, then they get in. Its their responsibility to make their resume comparable to the Big 5 conferences. Anything outside of the top 8 doesn't have a REAL chance at winning the National Title, nor should a team outside of the top 8 DESERVE to be in the discussion. If Boise State wants to be considered, then switch conferences, or fill your schedule with Power 5 teams... and good ones... not Iowa State, Indiana, and Washington State.

8 teams draws a definitive and clear line. If you aren't good enough to be in the top 8, then you aren't good enough to win title. The line of demarcation is clear. The waters become a lot less muddy the closer you get to #10.

No it doesn't. There is always going to be that team or teams sitting on the outside who will feel they deserve a shot at the title.

By your logic here Michigan State, Arizona, and Ole Miss would all have legit claims at the 8th spot, and two would feel bitter because they were left out.

It doesn't matter if you have 2, 4, 6, 8 or 64 teams. Somebody is going to feel left out and your always going to have this kind of controversy.

Then there is no issue because precedent is set that all 5 power 5 champions make it.

Like I said, the line of demarcation is clear. If you win your major 5 conference, you are in. End of discussion. That's a hell of a lot easier pill to swallow than saying TCU was ranked #3, but got jumped by FSU, tOSU, and Baylor, but all TCU did was beat Iowa State by 40+, and yet still, only FSU and tOSU make it in instead of Baylor or TCU.

Its clear.

Maybe TCU should of won their conference...

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

No it doesn't. There is always going to be that team or teams sitting on the outside who will feel they deserve a shot at the title.

By your logic here Michigan State, Arizona, and Ole Miss would all have legit claims at the 8th spot, and two would feel bitter because they were left out.

It doesn't matter if you have 2, 4, 6, 8 or 64 teams. Somebody is going to feel left out and your always going to have this kind of controversy.

Its clear.

Maybe TCU should of won their conference...

Right... maybe they should have played a 13th game like Ohio State and proved they belonged. Because would be willing to be that whoever won a Baylor/TCU Conference Championship game would have been #3/#4 in the CFP.

Ohio State and Florida State took advantage of having to play another game... another chance to lose. TCU and Baylor didn't get that opportunity. That's their fault for not pushing for a title game, its the Big XII's fault for not making them play one. Like I said, I would much rather play 12 games than 13 games, no matter the strength of schedule.

Schools can't just choose whether or not to have a conference title game. That is the conference's decision. So guess what? That is the conference's fault. (But you bet like hell that waiver form is already being drawn up and the Big XII will have a title game ASAP.)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

First off, I would guess that TCU and Baylor would probably be in the same division and TCU wouldn't of even gone to a conference championship game.

Secondly, according to the Big XII bylaws that I see, Baylor is the "One true champion".

And lastly, didn't the Big Ten schedule an extra regular season game back when they didn't have a championship game for this very reason? That and the fact they would always get whopped in their bowl games because they always had an extra week or two off at the end of the season.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

First off, I would guess that TCU and Baylor would probably be in the same division and TCU wouldn't of even gone to a conference championship game.

Secondly, according to the Big XII bylaws that I see, Baylor is the "One true champion".

And lastly, didn't the Big Ten schedule an extra regular season game back when they didn't have a championship game for this very reason? That and the fact they would always get whopped in their bowl games because they always had an extra week or two off at the end of the season.

1) They don't have to necessarily make divisions. Just top two conference records. They'd still have to have the round robin schedule.

2) Forget the bylaws. the Big XII commissioner presented TCU and Baylor as co-champions to the committee, despite their mantra and bylaws. They went around them.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

For the sake of argument, let's say everything else remains the same this season except that Baylor and TCU finish the season as Big XII co-champs at 9-3 instead of 11-1. Are we still knee-jerking for an 8 team playoff?

Of course not.

And what happens in an 8-team playoff where conference champions get berths when that 6-6 UCLA team from a couple of years ago wins the PAC-12 title game?

Or maybe a better example — what if Minnesota had beat Wisconsin and then Ohio State for the B1G crown this year? Would you have been okay with 10-3 Minnesota playing for a national title? I wouldn't have.

When push comes to shove, both Baylor and TCU had an opportunity to keep this thing in their control; all Baylor had to do was beat a mediocre, would-have-been-.500 WVU team while all TCU had to do was win a game in which they held a 21-point, fourth-quarter lead.

Also worth noting? Ohio State didn't play an FCS opponent. That's an extra two FBS wins they have over either of the Big XII schools.

6fQjS3M.png

For the sake of argument, let's say everything else remains the same this season except that Baylor and TCU finish the season as Big XII co-champs at 9-3 instead of 11-1. Are we still knee-jerking for an 8 team playoff?

Of course not.

And what happens in an 8-team playoff where conference champions get berths when that 6-6 UCLA team from a couple of years ago wins the PAC-12 title game?

Or maybe a better example — what if Minnesota had beat Wisconsin and then Ohio State for the B1G crown this year? Would you have been okay with 10-3 Minnesota playing for a national title? I wouldn't have.

When push comes to shove, both Baylor and TCU had an opportunity to keep this thing in their control; all Baylor had to do was beat a mediocre, would-have-been-.500 WVU team while all TCU had to do was win a game in which they held a 21-point, fourth-quarter lead.

Also worth noting? Ohio State didn't play an FCS opponent. That's an extra two FBS wins they have over either of the Big XII schools.

There wouldn't be a knee jerk reaction, but you would still have an unpleasant taste in your mouth. It would be more palatable because 3 losses is a lot different than 1 loss in a power 5.

If there are 8 teams... then no one would mind if 10-3 Minnesota makes the playoff because they won a major 5 conference.

If you move it to 6, then there would be significant discussion if a 3 loss team should take 1 of 6 spots over a 2 loss Mississippi State.

That's why 8 works.

Louisville vs Georgia in the Belk Bowl looks like a very interesting matchup especially with Grantham facing his old employer. :bonk:

What is a Belk Bowl?

Probably doesn't matter because he'd see Louisville vs Incarnate Word to be an interesting matchup.

yzc.gif

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Of course, if the situation is the same. Around me, the issue isn't that tcu/baylor were left out as much as it's that tcu was jumped by two teams after they were beating a team so badly that they were taking knees with significant time left in the fourth quarter to avoid running up the score -one week after- being ranked above an undefeated Florida State team. The question that keeps being asked is, "what changed?" Is Florida State that much better than tcu now that they are conference champions? Is Ohio State? If so, why wouldn't a system where conference champions get an automatic bid make sense? We've already established that conference champs should get in over non or co-champs, if all other things are equal, this year so it's not that much of a stretch plus i think this whole system would benefit from having at least one concrete criteria. Maybe just say that and keep it at 4 teams? I'd still like to know the committee's reason for picking teams as they do. I don't think anyone will be happy until everyone knows exactly what they were looking for and how they arrive at the rankings they do.

Louisville vs Georgia in the Belk Bowl looks like a very interesting matchup especially with Grantham facing his old employer. :bonk:

Sure, if you find Louisville getting their asses kicked interesting.

I'm sold!

The same thing has been said about the Sugar Bowl 2 seasons ago against Florida (and Louisville won that game BTW), so don't think the Cards will get their butts kicked that easily.

If this were a regular season game, Georgia should run away with this game.

However, if the talk around town is any indication, Georgia's not really excited about playing in some hack bowl game in Charlotte at 6:30pm on the evening before New Year's Eve.

Georgia went from early-season "#1 team in the nation" talk to "we can still get to a decent bowl" talk to "we might still make the playoffs if Missouri loses and we beat Alabama" talk to....the Belk Bowl. *fart*

Of course not.

There wouldn't be a knee jerk reaction, but you would still have an unpleasant taste in your mouth. It would be more palatable because 3 losses is a lot different than 1 loss in a power 5.

If there are 8 teams... then no one would mind if 10-3 Minnesota makes the playoff because they won a major 5 conference.

If you move it to 6, then there would be significant discussion if a 3 loss team should take 1 of 6 spots over a 2 loss Mississippi State.

That's why 8 works.

If we're having a playoff, why not just go with the 8 best teams? Especially when we have a committee picking the participants.

People are whining about the NFC South champion getting to play a playoff game (and hosting it, nonetheless) despite possibly having a losing record while a 10-win (or 11-win) team won't make the playoffs at all...and are wanting the NFL to change their rules about teams making the playoffs. Yet, you want to do the very same thing to college football....that will diminish the importance of regular season games.

Go with the 8 best teams, regardless of conference affiliation. If it's 4 SEC teams, 2 Pac-12 teams, a Big XII team and a Big Ten team, so be it. If it's 2 SEC teams, 2 Big XII teams, 1 ACC team, Notre Dame, 1 Pac-12 team, and a Mountain West team, so be it. Go with the best 8 teams.

What is a Belk Bowl?

Probably doesn't matter because he'd see Louisville vs Incarnate Word to be an interesting matchup.

yzc.gif

Sadly, this is pretty funny (and accurate). :lol:

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Of course, if the situation is the same. Around me, the issue isn't that tcu/baylor were left out as much as it's that tcu was jumped by two teams after they were beating a team so badly that they were taking knees with significant time left in the fourth quarter to avoid running up the score -one week after- being ranked above an undefeated Florida State team. The question that keeps being asked is, "what changed?" Is Florida State that much better than tcu now that they are conference champions? Is Ohio State? If so, why wouldn't a system where conference champions get an automatic bid make sense? We've already established that conference champs should get in over non or co-champs, if all other things are equal, this year so it's not that much of a stretch plus i think this whole system would benefit from having at least one concrete criteria. Maybe just say that and keep it at 4 teams? I'd still like to know the committee's reason for picking teams as they do. I don't think anyone will be happy until everyone knows exactly what they were looking for and how they arrive at the rankings they do.

Florida State beat a 10-2 Georgia Tech team. Ohio State beat a 10-2 Wisconsin team. Baylor beat a 9-2 Kansas State team.

TCU beat a 2-9 Iowa State team.

6fQjS3M.png

I would. A three-loss team has no business being in the running for a national championship. None at all. They clearly wouldn't be the best team in the country.

Look, if TCU wanted to avoid being in this situation, they could've closed out their game at Baylor.

If Baylor wanted to avoid it, they could've won at West Virginia, who would've been 6-6 with a loss in that game.

I'd rather "deserving" teams that screwed up get left out than a team that isn't that good, like in the example, getting a chance at it.

An undefeated Power 5 team isn't getting left out. Just win, baby.

We wouldn't even be talking about TCU and Baylor if this were last year — they'd be a pair of also-rans; teams that had a chance and botched it. That's still what they are. Nobody was outraged that Baylor didn't get a chance to play for the title last year after a similar season.

6fQjS3M.png

I don't have a problem at all with Baylor and TCU being left out because it's ridiculous that they don't have a championship game in the Big 12. When there's four spots and five major conferences, it's not surprising that the one who doesn't have a championship game gets the short end of the stick. Literally every other sport in this country determines playoff qualifiers with division/conference/section championships. Why are there so many people griping about the playoff committee in this case? Blame the Big 12 if you wanna blame anyone.

spacer.png

On 11/19/2012 at 7:23 PM, oldschoolvikings said:
She’s still half convinced “Chris Creamer” is a porn site.)

Archived