2014 NCAA Football Thread

Chicageaux

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Notre Dame found a good new quarterback. And boy, expect GREAT things from Leonard Fournette in the future.

On a side note, Florida State's wins are starting to look a little better now.

They are? I mean, Clemson, sure... but Notre Dame was a complete dumpster fire in the second half of the season and a bowl win over LSU in a down-year doesn't change that all that much and Lousville's not looking good at all against Georgia.

Florida State's schedule is fine if they don't trail by two or more scores in every game and rely on some questionable calls and fortuitous breaks to win them. But they legitimately struggled almost every single week against teams they shouldn't have struggled against.

IUe6Hvh.png

I don't have any hatred towards Penn State, and I understand that these kids had nothing to do with the whole Sandusky thing, but it still makes me feel a bit uncomfortable to see Penn State win a bowl game. Something about it just kind of feels wrong.

Many people feel the same way, seeing those uniforms is a reminder of the scandal, and the downfall of a once-legendary coach.

I don't have any hatred towards Penn State, and I understand that these kids had nothing to do with the whole Sandusky thing, but it still makes me feel a bit uncomfortable to see Penn State win a bowl game. Something about it just kind of feels wrong.

Many people feel the same way, seeing those uniforms is a reminder of the scandal, and the downfall of a once-legendary coach.

I'm no Penn State apologist, but I enjoyed seeing them get the win. The era of Paterno and Sandusky was over when Bill O'Brien took over. And now the Bill O'Brien era is over with the hiring of James Franklin.

That was TWO regimes ago, people. Time to move on. No need to keep penalizing the current players for sins of coaching predecessors that they have zero relation to, save the same institution name on their diploma.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I'm no Penn State apologist, but I enjoyed seeing them get the win. The era of Paterno and Sandusky was over when Bill O'Brien took over. And now the Bill O'Brien era is over with the hiring of James Franklin.

That was TWO regimes ago, people. Time to move on. No need to keep penalizing the current players for sins of coaching predecessors that they have zero relation to, save the same institution name on their diploma.

I mostly agree, but it'll still take some more time for me. There's still a ton of Penn State people who don't understand what Joe Paterno did wrong and are upset they took down his statue. I like seeing them lose. Ohio U going into Happy Valley and beating them in their first game after the sanctions will always be one of my favorite sports memories.

But I don't think they should change the uniforms. The uniforms have actually gotten better since they matched the collars and cuffs to the jersey color and stopped insisting on putting those goofy looking schutt (?) helmets on every single player.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Thank you. People won't ever understand that. I am a Penn State alum and I know there is bias there but I was happy too. I was happy for the school and players. The school worked hard to change its image of the football program and appease the NCAA. The school deserved the win just as much as the football team.

I am not as hard core on Penn State punishment as I used to be. But I grew a bit tired of it being about "the players". Yeah, none of it was their fault. But that's not what it was about. It was about an institution that had become so blinded by gridiron success that it formed a culture that allowed this to happen. Not just JoPa but just about everyone. So they cleaned house. Hired O'Brien, then Franklin...people that obviously had nothing to do with anything. But did the perspective change? There is a part of me that thinks any (even if it was my own) institution of higher learning should say "we've lost perspective here. We are going to shut down our football program indefinitely."

And I don't like seeing the Joepoligists get to celebrate success already. But it still bugs me when people talk about the players...let's not call them the victims here. And I suppose I was being over-dramatic when I thought that the school needed a good decade of no football or mediocre football in order to have a meaningful culture change and get some freaking perspective. (and I know most schools need some perspective, anyway but I hope most would not have allowed this to happen). But it continues to bug me, looking back, that what seemed most important to sports media/fans was that Penn State get back to football prominence, pronto. It's times like that when I cannot defend my love of college sports.

Can I be happy for these players but still unhappy that PSU is back on the road to football relevancy? I guess I can.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I am not as hard core on Penn State punishment as I used to be. But I grew a bit tired of it being about "the players". Yeah, none of it was their fault. But that's not what it was about. It was about an institution that had become so blinded by gridiron success that it formed a culture that allowed this to happen. Not just JoPa but just about everyone. So they cleaned house. Hired O'Brien, then Franklin...people that obviously had nothing to do with anything. But did the perspective change? There is a part of me that thinks any (even if it was my own) institution of higher learning should say "we've lost perspective here. We are going to shut down our football program indefinitely."

And I don't like seeing the Joepoligists get to celebrate success already. But it still bugs me when people talk about the players...let's not call them the victims here. And I suppose I was being over-dramatic when I thought that the school needed a good decade of no football or mediocre football in order to have a meaningful culture change and get some freaking perspective. (and I know most schools need some perspective, anyway but I hope most would not have allowed this to happen). But it continues to bug me, looking back, that what seemed most important to sports media/fans was that Penn State get back to football prominence, pronto. It's times like that when I cannot defend my love of college sports.

Can I be happy for these players but still unhappy that PSU is back on the road to football relevancy? I guess I can.

I can understand that line of thinking, but sports media and fans aside, I think that Penn State will always have a name brand and legacy that outshines the sins of JoePa or Sandusky. I'm not trying to absolve the culture of any wrongdoing, but there are still thousands of proud Pennsylvanians who want nothing more than to grow up and play for the Nittany Lions. And while the region isn't as ripe for recruiting as it once was, the Ohio Valley / Lakes area still produces a ton of quality athletes. Schools like Penn State just have a certain degree of clout that will always draw quality players, regardless.

I made this argument about Nebraska during the Pelini-Riley changeover and I'll make it for Penn State as well - some schools just have the resources, fans, boosters and culture to allow them to practically hire a gorilla for a Head Coach and stumble backwards into a 7-win season. Penn State is going to win games just because they're Penn State. Nothing you can really do about that. In their case, however, it's just incumbent on the NCAA and State of PA to make sure that the culture remains under the law.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Well, TCU showed up. Bo Wallace is just under too much pressure to get anything done. I have a feeling that Baylor won't play like this though. I think Baylor will follow the trend of "we don't want to be here," but Patterson didn't seem to be phased at all by not making the Playoff, and he definitely got his team ready.

And I saw where Braxton Miller is thinking of going to Florida State next year. I also heard reports of him going to Duke, so we'll see. I heard another quarterback wanting to go to Duke too but I can't remember who. Needless to say, college football is going to be 10X more exciting next year, and that's saying a lot because this year has been amazing thus far.

There are at least three other 3 loss teams better than Ole Miss. Why are they #9?

Ole Miss is very good when they are on. I mean they beat Alabama and won the Egg Bowl as underdogs. They could beat anybody on a given day.

But when they're bad, they're bad. LSU, Arkansas, and now today. Woof. Hate it for the SEC's track record, but love to see them lose.

The way this is going, TCU (and maybe Baylor) might claim National Championships if Ohio State doesn't compete with Alabama.

There are at least three other 3 loss teams better than Ole Miss. Why are they #9?

Ole Miss is very good when they are on. I mean they beat Alabama and won the Egg Bowl as underdogs. They could beat anybody on a given day.

But when they're bad, they're bad. LSU, Arkansas, and now today. Woof. Hate it for the SEC's track record, but love to see them lose.

The way this is going, TCU (and maybe Baylor) might claim National Championships if Ohio State doesn't compete with Alabama.

I know they are very good when they want to be, but when you haven't had been to such a big bowl in a long time, especially a New Year's Six, I'm not sure it's a matter of motivation, you're just getting outplayed. TCU is a very good team, and probably should've been in the playoffs if it wasn't for Bob Bowlsby, but Ole Miss isn't even trying.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

I thought TCU would win if they showed up... and they did. In my opinion, they're the third best team in college football, and barring an Ohio State win tomorrow not much will change that. Ole Miss has good losses, except for Arkansas really, which is a team that's a lot better than their record.

If Harbaugh coaches like he did with the 49ers and has Brady Hoke's recruiting ability, everybody in the Big Ten should be scared.

I think more of college football will be scared of the Big Ten. Minnesota is a program on the rise, Wisconsin will be iffy next year, Nebraska could be good, MSU and OSU will again be powerhouses, Penn State is a young team under Franklin's first year, and now Michigan has Harbaugh.

Not really. Michigan State and Ohio State will still be good teams, but outside of that anyone else in 2-3 years away. The Nebraska-Wisconsin-Iowa-Minnesota bloc might give you a 10-win program every year or so, but outside of that nobody is stellar.

And Michigan and Penn State are still a few years away from contending, Harbaugh has more talent than he had at Stanford, but Michigan won't be at the level they were when they won that Sugar Bowl (still mad about that game lol) for another 2-3 years maybe. And given his history he's been known to be a great builder, but he has yet to attain the highest honor at his spots (Had more than a few Top-5 teams at Stanford, went to 3 straight NFC titles but took home 0 Super Bowls in San Francisco). I think he'll definetley get that program back to "Michigan" status, which will be fun to watch him and Urban Meyer duke it out every year and see that game return to glory. I think Franklin has Penn State on the upswing, they have the potential to be up there with Ohio State and Michigan in a few years.

Overall, the Big Ten is still a good 3-5 years away from being the conference you imagine. Which is probably still behind today's SEC. But it'll be fun, College Football will become better when Ohio State and Wisconsin aren't winning the Big Ten every year. Plus, I'd like our future games against Michigan and Penn State to be big ones when they're played.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Well would you look at Boise State. They love the Fiesta Bowl.

Keep doing what you're doing Wildcats. I'm enjoying this so far.

---

Also, I'm really hating the term "New Year's Six". We need something better than that.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived