Uniform numbers that look bad

JasonFromMiami

I feel like when I was a kid, a lot more goalies did wear #1. I know the flyers have it retired, so maybe other teams have too since then.

New York: Eddie Giacomin

Chicago: Glenn Hall (Mr. Goalie!)

Philadelphia: Bernie Parent

Montreal: Jacques Plante

Detroit: Terry Sawchuk

Minnesota: The Fans Because The Fans Are #1. piss off, Minnesota

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jean Beliveau, Dit Clapper, Bernie Geoffrion, Ace Bailey, Ralph Backstrom all wore 6 or lower and were forwards. Bill Barber, Phil Esposito, Howie Morenz, Rob Gilbert, Ted Lindsay, Cam Neely, Igor Larionov, Clark Gilles, Lanny McDonald....all single digits.

Jean Beliveau, Dit Clapper, Bernie Geoffrion, Ace Bailey, Ralph Backstrom all wore 6 or lower and were forwards. Bill Barber, Phil Esposito, Howie Morenz, Rob Gilbert, Ted Lindsay, Cam Neely, Igor Larionov, Clark Gilles, Lanny McDonald....all single digits.

This guy.

I never said single digits were exclusive to defensemen. Never once.

But, look at NHL rosters right now. A heavy majority of single digit number wearers are blue-liners.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'm pretty sure you do know what he's talking about. My guess is you're just more interested in being dismissive because you "played and coached hockey at a 'high' level." FWIW, "A Beautiful Mind" was a Hollywood depiction of John Nash. It was based on a true story which means it wasn't exactly a "true story."

22 years of playing hockey and I have never heard of hockey number "unwritten rules". That's why I don't know understand what he's talking about. But thanks for being a dick.

As I was saying...

BB52Big.jpg

didn't it have something to do with how they assigned players bunks on the sleeper trains back in the day? They did it by number, and the goalies had to have the ends for some reason so they were usually assinged the lowest and highest numbers (1 and typically something in the 30s) and then the others filled in.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think the number 9 is allowable for forwards. Just look at all the greats who have worn #9: Howe, Modano, Kennedy, Conacher, the Rocket, Hull, and a bunch of others I'm too tired to remember/Google. I don't know what it is, but 9 seems "different" and more "forward-like" than anything else from 2-8.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

There are no number guidelines in hockey. Plain and simple. There is a trend that defenseman wear single digits. Any player of any position in hockey has the right to where whatever number they want. That's how it works. When an NHL player wears a number that "doesn't look right to you" guess what? They chose that number, they wear it for a reason, and they could give a :censored: if some dip :censored: on the Internet thinks they broke an unwritten rules.

But McCarthy please let the belittling begin...

There are no number guidelines in hockey. Plain and simple. There is a trend that defenseman wear single digits. Any player of any position in hockey has the right to where whatever number they want. That's how it works. When an NHL player wears a number that "doesn't look right to you" guess what? They chose that number, they wear it for a reason, and they could give a :censored: if some dip :censored: on the Internet thinks they broke an unwritten rules.

I conceded in my first post and said multiple times that many forwards wear single digits and have said multiple times and provided multiple examples that most NHL players who wear single digits are defensemen. I never claimed that defensemen must wear single digits and forwards must wear double digits. I never said that once.

I was never at any time belittling towards you. You, however, said "I think you're going all Russell Crowe in A Brilliant Mind on us" to me and you called me a dip :censored:. I know who's been belittling and it's not me.

Sorry for teaching you something you didn't know about hockey?

PvO6ZWJ.png

There are no number guidelines in hockey. Plain and simple.

Not officially, no. There are, though, customary numbers that certain positions take. I wore #79 as a goalie and people definitely asked me about it. It was simply a matter of me liking the way the number looked, but it did go up against the idea of what a goalie "should" wear. It wasn't a big deal. It was, if it was anything, something that came up as small talk. Still? It was a thing.

Even if you don't care for them, you'd have to be pretty dense to not understand the historical conventions of hockey numbers.

Any player of any position in hockey has the right to where whatever number they want. That's how it works. When an NHL player wears a number that "doesn't look right to you" guess what? They chose that number, they wear it for a reason, and they could give a :censored: if some dip :censored: on the Internet thinks they broke an unwritten rules.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

For me in hockey, I think this looks good;

Goalies to be #1, 20, 29-39

Defence to be #2-8, 20-59

Forwards, I would be fine with #7-59, 66, 68 70-99 or 98.

Nobody in hockey should wear something in the 60's outside of Mario's 66.

Nobody in hockey should wear a number in the 60's outside of Lemieux and Jagr, who already have become famous with numbers in the 60's. So no new hockey players should wear a number in the 60's.

IbjBaeE.png

For me in hockey, I think this looks good;

Goalies to be #1, 20, 29-39

Defence to be #2-8, 20-59

Forwards, I would be fine with #7-59, 66, 70-99 or 98.

Nobody in hockey should wear something in the 60's outside of Mario's 66.

Aesthetics aside, nobody should wear Mario's #66.

Archived