Uniform numbers that look bad

JasonFromMiami

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any numbers above 44 with the exception of 55 in baseball and basketball look weird. Vincent Lecavailar, a forward, wore number 4 when he was in Tampa, because of his hero, Jean Beliveau. Bobby Ryan wearing number 6 is strange, too, because he couldn't get number 9. He also wore 54 in his first year or so in Anaheim for the same reason.

Good thing I was not raised in the American Basketball Assocation (ABA) era because these are the worst of the worst.

AAAACkNxyLUAAAAAAA77Fg.jpg?v=11567809250Sounds%2074-75%20Home%20Back%20George%20

Got a good feeling the NBA or any other pro sports franchise would not approve today of what the Memphis Sounds wore during the mid 70s in their ABA days. The numerals and NOBs on the jerseys downright a disaster.

Doesn't look bad but looks really out of place.

Denard Robinson, a former QB, wearing a traditional QB's number that's now acceptable as a WR's number, while playing RB. He has also worn #29 for the Jags. Cool that he was somehow able to keep his college QB number despite playing another position. I guess that whole "position: athlete" show worked out for him.

denardonline_0.jpg

12583581.jpg

87Redskins.png

When I saw the thread title, I thought it was going to be more about number fonts than "this number looks weird in this sport/this position". And the Rangers were the first team I thought of. Admittedly, the NOB font is probably the real culprit here (above being the worst example).

But even just focusing on the numbers, these are way overdone: Two outlines. Dropshadow. Western-style serifs (I don't know what those are called). The use of the same on the NOB really brings out how overdone this is.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Denard Robinson, a former QB, wearing a traditional QB's number that's now acceptable as a WR's number, while playing RB. He has also worn #29 for the Jags. Cool that he was somehow able to keep his college QB number despite playing another position. I guess that whole "position: athlete" show worked out for him.

denardonline_0.jpg

12583581.jpg

Probably the same rule with Devin Hester where he was drafted as a CB but basically was a WR. Even though Denard was drafted as a RB, he was a QB so I think that loophole gives him freedom to take a QB number

Go A's!

denardonline_0.jpg

12583581.jpg

Probably the same rule with Devin Hester where he was drafted as a CB but basically was a WR. Even though Denard was drafted as a RB, he was a QB so I think that loophole gives him freedom to take a QB number
Actually last season he was listed as a RB/WR. My assumption is that there was a #16 on the team last year, then they left and Denard got his college number back this season.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

It seems that no tradition is sacred, especially when it comes to numbers for college football players. It's especially weird to my eye to see big guys like linebackers and tight ends who should be wearing big numbers wear flashy numbers. I'm sure this is true with many colleges, but here are a few examples from BYU, the team I follow:

Kyle Van Noy, linebacker, wore #3:

25080544.jpg

Naufahu Tahi, a bruising fullback, also wore #3:

8791.jpg

Dennis Pitta, tight end, wore #32 (to me a quintessential halfback number):

2951646.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

It seems that no tradition is sacred, especially when it comes to numbers for college football players. It's especially weird to my eye to see big guys like linebackers and tight ends who should be wearing big numbers wear flashy numbers. I'm sure this is true with many colleges, but here are a few examples from BYU, the team I follow:

Kyle Van Noy, linebacker, wore #3:

25080544.jpg

Naufahu Tahi, a bruising fullback, also wore #3:

8791.jpg

Dennis Pitta, tight end, wore #32 (to me a quintessential halfback number):

2951646.jpg

hi-res-6656486_crop_exact.jpg?w=650&h=44

denardonline_0.jpg

12583581.jpg

Actually last season he was listed as a RB/WR. My assumption is that there was a #16 on the team last year, then they left and Denard got his college number back this season.

And luckily for him, nobody was buying his jersey so the switch might not have cost him much

Go A's!

Yeah things look awkward to me to see in college, d linemen and lb's in a single digit or numbers usually seen by a db/rb... and punters and kickers in high numbers.. I know a lot of the tailbacks, wr's, qb's and corners usually have those taken.

Archived