Uniform numbers that look bad

JasonFromMiami

25121370.jpg

rashad25--nfl_large_580_1000.jpgHadlSmall.jpg

For the record, I don't think any of these numbers "look bad"... it's just that this thread has seemed to evolve into "players who wear numbers that are not usually associated with their position" so I thought I'd add these.

Black sleeve stripe on Viking guy. What's up with that?

As someone speculated earlier, yes, that's Ahmad Rashad. The Vikings wore black arm bands for the last four games of the 1978 season in memory of coach Jack Nelson, who passed away in November of that season.

I was not aware that Ahmad Rashad played in the NFL. I always assumed he was a former NBA player because he hosted that NBA show on espn.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ I was waiting to see who'd be the first to say that.....

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Saltalamacchia should have had special dispensation to put "SALTY" on the back of his jersey rather than try to make it fit in that Rangers lettering that has no business existing, let alone accommodating names longer than seven letters.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Dennis Pitta #32 reminded me of another TE with a low number...Chris Cooley. For some reason, despite being a TE in college at Utah State, he was assigned the position of "H-Back" and wore #47 as a TE. Probably because he was the second TE in Gibbs' offense and was never intended to be the starting TE, at least immediatey.

chris_cooley_jumping_catch-26663.jpgchris-cooley.jpg

He wore a normal TE number of 85 at Utah State.

a-cooley-090603.jpg

Dallas-Clark-2003-Bowman-135-Rookie-Card

I wonder if Dallas Clark has a similar story

25121370.jpg

For the record, I don't think any of these numbers "look bad"... it's just that this thread has seemed to evolve into "players who wear numbers that are not usually associated with their position" so I thought I'd add these.

As someone speculated earlier, yes, that's Ahmad Rashad. The Vikings wore black arm bands for the last four games of the 1978 season in memory of coach Jack Nelson, who passed away in November of that season.

I was not aware that Ahmad Rashad played in the NFL. I always assumed he was a former NBA player because he hosted that NBA show on espn.
Seems like just yesterday when Ahmad was constantly acting like a 14 year old girl at a New Kids on the Block concert whenever he "interviewed" Michael Jordan...

The Dennis Pitta #32 reminded me of another TE with a low number...Chris Cooley. For some reason, despite being a TE in college at Utah State, he was assigned the position of "H-Back" and wore #47 as a TE. Probably because he was the second TE in Gibbs' offense and was never intended to be the starting TE, at least immediatey.

chris_cooley_jumping_catch-26663.jpgchris-cooley.jpg

He wore a normal TE number of 85 at Utah State.

a-cooley-090603.jpg

Dallas-Clark-2003-Bowman-135-Rookie-Card

I wonder if Dallas Clark has a similar story

0.jpg

Dallas Clark wore #44 at Iowa as well

25121370.jpg

Seems like just yesterday when Ahmad was constantly acting like a 14 year old girl at a New Kids on the Block concert whenever he "interviewed" Michael Jordan...

I know that I am being EXTREMELY nitpicky, but he was the host of NBA Inside Stuff on NBC.

Also, he did play basketball ... albeit ... in the preseason. The story is right here.

Bad numbers in NCAA football:

-Duke's double outlines. Tulane has the same problem.

-Memphis' typeface (and nameplates better suited for midgets)

-BC (tall and narrow, not much kerning. They use about five 6'4 white dudes that are hard to differentiate from TV cams because they're built the same and wear 8/88/18/86/83).

-Rutgers silver numbers are impossible to read on the home reds during day games. They bleed into each other. I'm betting nebraska's alternates had the same effect.

-arizona's color on color home jerseys are a pain as well

In hockey, any goalie who wears a number that isn't 1 or 30-35

For some reason 32 looks odd to me on goalies. I think it's a sleek, fast looking number, and a lot of HOFers in the other sports have worn it, so it seems wasted on a goalie.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

In hockey, any goalie who wears a number that isn't 1 or 30-35

Not even 39? Worn by one of the greatest goalies ever?

20140328-Hasek-Top.jpg

For me, goalie numbers are 00,1, 20, 30-40. 20 is because of Mike Vernon; I think that number would look very weird on any skater for some reason. And the great Freddie Brathwaite wore 40, so you have to include that! Actually, I think there's something about the "tens" numbers that make me like them for goalies, but 10 is too skinny for a goalie, and anything 50 or above looks weird no matter what.

Is there some kind of "conventional" positional number system in hockey that I don't know about? Mind you I ain't the most knowledgeable about the sport but I keep seeing things said about this so now I'm curious.

Anyway, even I thought this was strange for some reason:

496989.jpg

Even as a young'n I knew something wasn't quite right about a netminder wearing 60.

And actually...what is it about numbers in the 60s, anyway? Outside of football linemen they always seem a bit...strange. Particularly 61--a number I don't even see many linemen wear. I think Livan Hernandez and Rick Ankiel (?) are the only two I can remember who prominently wore that number.

(Of course, Mario Lemieux and Jaromir Jagr are very prominent 60-somethings...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived