Uniform numbers that look bad

JasonFromMiami

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, players are too greedy or too cowardly to sign with Montreal in free agency, so don't worry about them ever having another dynasty again. Like I've said before, Canadians will play for their country but not their country's cities.

If their bar is too low, which numbers would you unretire?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Well, players are too greedy or too cowardly to sign with Montreal in free agency, so don't worry about them ever having another dynasty again. Like I've said before, Canadians will play for their country but not their country's cities.

A pretty bold statement admiral, which NHL players are you referring to ?

A pretty bold statement admiral, which NHL players are you referring to ?

Who was the last big free agent to sign in a Canadian city?

If we're talking about aesthetically unpleasing numbers, then I think 37 is up there. I don't know if it's because it's two prime numbers, or just the shapes of the numbers, or what, but I just hate it.

Also, while not really an ugly number, I also don't like 35. It just seems so static - like I can't picture a little fast running back or DB or receiver wearing it. It's a number that relief pitchers or backup goalies wear.

I really like #35 for goalies and running backs, but it doesn't work too well with baseball or basketball. To me, 35 on a RB seems like a power back number. FWIW, Mike Richter was a pretty good goalie who wore #35.

I agree with 37. It doesn't really work in any sport. It seems like a barely made the team number.

This falls under the same catagory

DSC_0075.jpg

Also want to add the Chicago Bears looking like that as well. Who has worn that # in their team history, I wonder?

Jack Concannon. That Bears font is one of the first things that sent me down the path of becoming a uniform geek. That font always bugged me when I was a kid. If memory serves, the Bears were about the only team that didn't have a block number font back in the late 60's - early 70's. I didn't like it because I thought it looked weird. Today, the Bears home uniform is my favorite NFL look.

jack_concannon_1971_09_19.jpg

I don't know why, but I've always hated the look of #6 as a number. No clue why not a fan of #8 either.

Same here on 6. Especially in football. Almost every #6 NFL QB I can think of was or is awful - Marc Wilson, Mark Sanchez, Bubby Brister (the jury is still out on Brian Hoyer but I'm betting he ends up on the list too.) Jay Cutler is probably the best QB to wear #6 so there's that. The only great player I can think of who wore number 6 is Stan Musial.

Number 8 works in football, but that's about it.

BB52Big.jpg

Bill Russell wore 6 too.

OK, that's two.

I'm gonna have to completely disagree with you about 6. I'm biased because it's my favorite number and I've worn it ever since I started playing baseball. I don't really see what's so bad about it. Stan the Man, Steve Gravey, and Al Kaline are all great players who wore it. Currently Starling Marte, Billy Hamilton, Anthony Rendon and Ryan Howard are good players who wear 6. I just love the number.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

4, 5, 6 look like little league numbers to me and I find it strange when sluggers or any non-small player wears them. No idea why, and why not the same for 3,7,8,9, but that's how it is.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Bill Russell wore 6 too.

OK, that's two.

I'm gonna have to completely disagree with you about 6. I'm biased because it's my favorite number and I've worn it ever since I started playing baseball. I don't really see what's so bad about it. Stan the Man, Steve Gravey, and Al Kaline are all great players who wore it. Currently Starling Marte, Billy Hamilton, Anthony Rendon and Ryan Howard are good players who wear 6. I just love the number.

OK, that's a bunch more pretty good players wearing #6. It's not as bad in baseball but it's still not great and it's an awful football and hockey number. 41, that's a good baseball number. B)

4, 5, 6 look like little league numbers to me and I find it strange when sluggers or any non-small player wears them. No idea why, and why not the same for 3,7,8,9, but that's how it is.

Sluggers should always wear a 2 digit number and that number should never be lower than #23.

BB52Big.jpg

Maybe growing up with dale murphy as one of the premiere sluggers is why I don't mind 3. Depends on the font I guess.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Maybe growing up with dale murphy as one of the premiere sluggers is why I don't mind 3. Depends on the font I guess.

Babe Ruth was another pretty decent slugger who wore #3. But yeah, #3 worked with Dale Murphy. Depends on the player I guess - in my case anyway.

BB52Big.jpg

Bill Russell wore 6 too.

OK, that's two.

OK, that's a bunch more pretty good players wearing #6. It's not as bad in baseball but it's still not great and it's an awful football and hockey number. 41, that's a good baseball number. B)

Sluggers should always wear a 2 digit number and that number should never be lower than #23.

Haha. Yeah baseball is much more friendly to the number 6. And I think sluggers can wear numbers over 23. Look at Hank Aaron, Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton, and Frank Thomas, Willie Mays and McCovey. All sluggers who wear numbers over 23. I think it fits them, because those numbers are also closest to their home run totals. :P

Number 41 huh? Tom Seaver and Eddie Mathews were great. V-Mart comes to mind wearing 41 too. It is nice looking.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

If we're talking about aesthetically unpleasing numbers, then I think 37 is up there. I don't know if it's because it's two prime numbers, or just the shapes of the numbers, or what, but I just hate it.

Also, while not really an ugly number, I also don't like 35. It just seems so static - like I can't picture a little fast running back or DB or receiver wearing it. It's a number that relief pitchers or backup goalies wear.

I really like #35 for goalies and running backs, but it doesn't work too well with baseball or basketball. To me, 35 on a RB seems like a power back number. FWIW, Mike Richter was a pretty good goalie who wore #35.

I agree with 37. It doesn't really work in any sport. It seems like a barely made the team number.

This falls under the same catagory

DSC_0075.jpg

Also want to add the Chicago Bears looking like that as well. Who has worn that # in their team history, I wonder?

Jack Concannon. That Bears font is one of the first things that sent me down the path of becoming a uniform geek. That font always bugged me when I was a kid. If memory serves, the Bears were about the only team that didn't have a block number font back in the late 60's - early 70's. I didn't like it because I thought it looked weird. Today, the Bears home uniform is my favorite NFL look.

jack_concannon_1971_09_19.jpg

I don't know why, but I've always hated the look of #6 as a number. No clue why not a fan of #8 either.

Same here on 6. Especially in football. Almost every #6 NFL QB I can think of was or is awful - Marc Wilson, Mark Sanchez, Bubby Brister (the jury is still out on Brian Hoyer but I'm betting he ends up on the list too.) Jay Cutler is probably the best QB to wear #6 so there's that. The only great player I can think of who wore number 6 is Stan Musial.

Number 8 works in football, but that's about it.

This picture reminded me that the Steelers wore white pants on the road for a couple years in the early 70's.

41a96b870900060cb6c976a055487fbf.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

Likewise, Albert Pujols is a large reason why I don't find 5 to be an odd number for a power hitter.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Archived