Uniform numbers that look bad

JasonFromMiami

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Babe Ruth

Who?

Maybe if the Yankees had NOB, people would actually remember him. He was a pretty good player.

Ruth was no Paul O'Neill, but he wasn't bad.

I still say he was juicing all those years.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

imagejpg1_zps51198fd2.jpg

Back in the late 60's and early 70's, a lot of NFL numbers in the teens looked like they had to much space between the digits.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Isn't he the guy that made those chocolate bars?

You're thinking of Heath Shuler.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Sami Aittokallio of the Lake Erie Monsters is wearing 74 in net. Not only is that a weird goalie number, but their font makes it look especially bad.

95OVdBbvrNs.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I started my high school hockey career with #3 because I was originally a defenseman, but my coach moved me to forward during my sophomore year. I wanted to switch numbers, but my parents didn't want to have buy two new jerseys so I always felt like a dork with a single digit number playing left wing. I doubt anyone noticed, but it bothered me for two and a half years.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Random thoughts:

• Worst I can think of is Devin Gardner wearing #98 as a QB. That is always jarring to me.
  • I like #6, but just-short-of-HOF-worthy Tony Oliva wore it for the Twins.
  • Speaking of the Twins, Harmon Killebrew wore #3 so I am used to smaller numbers on sluggers.
  • For some reason, I also feel that 5 is the worst QB number. Not sure why. It's the only # 1-19 that bugs me. Teddy Bridgewater's wearing it and it just seems weird. Probably will see more of it now that WRs are wearing 10-19.
  • I wish every hockey team had a goalie that wore #1. I don't know why that number has kinda gone away but I miss it. I want to vomit that the Wild immediately retired the number for "the fans" (seriously. they did that). Goalies tend to wear #s 27-33 or so (and just about anything above that it seems). None of those numbers look bad on a skater to me. If a skater wants to wear 30, fine by me.
  • Single digit numbers on pitchers look bad. But not as bad as when Benito Santiago wore 09.
  • I understand why college football teams have to be more lax with the number rules but I wish they'd find ways not to have key players wear the same number. For example, I am pretty sure FSU has a defensive starter that wears Winston's #5. Wisconsin has a #5 DB and started the season with Tanner McEvoy wearing the number at QB.
  • Melvin Gordon of Wisconsin wears #25. That should be a perfectly good RB number, but for some reason it bugs me.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The CFL is really annoying me with their lax number rules. An LB wearing 12? RBs wearing 9? What is this sorcery?

Although, I must say I like the single digit receivers such as Freddy Stamps (#2) and Adarius Bowman (#4).

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Random thoughts:

• Worst I can think of is Devin Gardner wearing #98 as a QB. That is always jarring to me.
  • I wish every hockey team had a goalie that wore #1. I don't know why that number has kinda gone away but I miss it. I want to vomit that the Wild immediately retired the number for "the fans" (seriously. they did that). Goalies tend to wear #s 27-33 or so (and just about anything above that it seems). None of those numbers look bad on a skater to me. If a skater wants to wear 30, fine by me.
  • Single digit numbers on pitchers look bad. But not as bad as when Benito Santiago wore 09.
  • Melvin Gordon of Wisconsin wears #25. That should be a perfectly good RB number, but for some reason it bugs me.

Gardner wearing #98 as a QB is easily the worst number ever. I get that Michigan does the honor the past thing, but the best they could come up with was 98 for their QB? How about honoring Rick Leach and giving Gardner #7? Or Jim Harbaugh and #4? Granted, neither of those two won the Heisman like Harmon did but still.

If I had my way, every NHL goalie would be required to wear a double digit number - preferably 30 and up. I've never liked #1 as a goalie number. 30, 35, and 39 are my favorite goalie numbers.

Pitchers wearing single digit numbers is right behind Gardner wearing #98 in worst numbers ever. When I was covering the Syracuse Chiefs back in the mid 90's, they had a pitcher named Bill Robinson who wore #6. It always bugged me. I even asked him about it once. He said it was "just a number." Being the uniform geek that I am, the fact that he didn't seem to care at all about wearing such a stupid number bugged me even more. B)

25 works OK for RBs, but I think it works best as a WR number.

article-2160216-13A3A508000005DC-328_308Pitts,Frank2.jpg

I'd prefer WRs wear 20-29 over the current 10-19.

The CFL is really annoying me with their lax number rules. An LB wearing 12? RBs wearing 9? What is this sorcery?

Although, I must say I like the single digit receivers such as Freddy Stamps (#2) and Adarius Bowman (#4).

I'm probably in the minority, but I love when defensive players wear the "wrong" numbers. It's great to see a linebacker or a D-lineman wearing #5 or #9, etc. in college football. If I had my way, the only number restrictions would be for QBs and O-lineman. They'd have to wear 2-19 and 50-70. Everyone else can wear whatever they want.

BB52Big.jpg

How about #2 for a goalie?

Before he came to North America in the early '90s Dominik Hasek used to wear #2 while playing for Czechoslovakia.

pb0axl7.jpg

He also wore #9 while playing for Pardubice in the '80s.

E8P6kkY.jpg

He would've worn 9 in Buffalo, but it was already taken when he arrived. The trainer or goalie coach or someone suggested 39 as a replacement.

He would've worn 9 in Buffalo, but it was already taken when he arrived. The trainer or goalie coach or someone suggested 39 as a replacement.

I doubt the NHL would have allowed him to wear #9. Didn't Belfour have to get special permission from the League to wear #20 since it wasn't a traditional 'goalie number'?

I doubt the NHL would have allowed him to wear #9. Didn't Belfour have to get special permission from the League to wear #20 since it wasn't a traditional 'goalie number'?

Have there been actual rules about who can wear which numbers in the modern era, let alone into the 90s?

Archived