__taylorc's College Baseball Redesigns (4/16 Virginia Tech)

__taylorc

Hello everyone, I've taken a little break from the site because of school but now that its calmed down a little bit I've been able to make some more concepts. Over my little break I've changed a lot of my techniques and have gotten a lot better at creating good concepts, my biggest change have been my transition from Photoshop to Illustrator. Baseball ended a few weeks ago and I really miss it, I've been having a lot of baseball concepts in my head but I didn't want to create a MLB Concept, I wanted to create something that isn't usually seen on the Concept Thread.....College Baseball Redesigns! To show off Illustrators magic I created (not really just edited a template I found on the internet) baseball templates for Nike, Under Armour, and Adidas. I'm really excited for this thread as I can already tell its gonna be my favorite. Now unlike my NCAA Football Thread, I won't be promising that I'm gonna do X amount of teams it'll just be how I feel like making, but I will do them by Conference. So now enough talking and lets get to the concepts :D .

My main goal is to modernize College Baseball uniforms and to stop them from looking like clones from the MLB (Like Colleges that use Old English when it doesn't match the schools wordmark), I'm also gonna use more current logos and wordmarks for teams that stick with older fonts on there uniforms for baseball only.

AAC

Cincinnati / Connecticut / East Carolina / Houston / Memphis / Tulane / UCF / USF

ACC

Atlantic

Boston College / Clemson / Florida State / Louisville / NC State / Notre Dame / Wake Forest

Coastal

Schools without Teams

SMU

Please Give Feedback It's Greatly Appreciate!!

Tj4ZkPU.png

1zwchs3.jpg_zpshph8rzul.png

27xqdyc.jpg_zps7iobnqxz.png

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's just a little taste of what's to come I was just really excited to post these!! I'm starting off with the American Athletic Conference.

Cincinnati

ivxqkNS.jpg

I wanted to start off with something a little out there....

-Most obvious is the Claw Marks on the Cap, similar to what the Cincinnati Football and Basketball teams have

-Colored the piping to make the uniforms stand out more

-Put the Bearcat Eyes on the back of there Collar like the Football team

Connecticut

6tbasMS.jpg

-Added more Red into the uniforms since there Football and Basketball team are doing the same

-Got rid of the dumb looking Old English "C" (didn't fit font)

-Shoulder Yoke and Pant Stripe similar to UConn's new basketball uniforms

-Instead of "UCONN" on Home jerseys I added "HUSKIES" instead

-And created a Vest for there Alternate Home's

-Made Red Brim for Away while creating Solid Blue for Home's

East Carolina

dNGP9Ev.jpg

Nothing to different from what they wear now

-All I really did for these was to just make them more constant

-Added new "Pirate" on caps

-Black Caps only used for there Black Alternates

-Swapped "East Carolina" on Yellow Alternates for there "Pirates" wordmark

This is just a little teaser of whats to come so please give me feedback it helps out a lot

Tj4ZkPU.png

This is really interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing more. Baseball is a sport full of tradition--whether that is good or bad. I love your idea of trying to modernize college baseball. Just because the MLB has so many traditional looks doesn't mean that college should look like it.

Now for some suggestions. First of all, please make your concepts easier to see by making them show up bigger on this page. In order to see any kind of details I had to follow the links to your imgur site. I don't want to have to do that every time you post a concept, and many others won't follow the links. You have spent time on getting these concepts ready; show them off.

I'm not a fan of the odd pant striping for Cincinnati. I would suggest you go with the straight piping. (Is this what the adidas template will always have? If so, I would strongly suggest you change that.)

A couple of notes on UConn: Logos on baseball jerseys are always over the heart. Is there a reason you switched this? If not, I would switch the husky and the number to the other sides. Also, I would go with the red bill caps at home. You don't have to, but I think the brightness of the red works better with the brighter white pants. In general, I am a fan of wearing the darker hats on the road and the brighter hats at home, so you can take this last comment with a grain of salt.

Again, good job. I'm looking forward to seeing more of these (and hopefully they will be easier to see).

award%20sig.png

This is really interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing more. Baseball is a sport full of tradition--whether that is good or bad. I love your idea of trying to modernize college baseball. Just because the MLB has so many traditional looks doesn't mean that college should look like it.

Now for some suggestions. First of all, please make your concepts easier to see by making them show up bigger on this page. In order to see any kind of details I had to follow the links to your imgur site. I don't want to have to do that every time you post a concept, and many others won't follow the links. You have spent time on getting these concepts ready; show them off.

I'm sorry about the images, I guess theres a size limit on this site cause those photos are 4000x1000 but I'll work on that, that's the reason why I added links on the schools names to were you can see the uniforms on imgur.com.

I'm not a fan of the odd pant striping for Cincinnati. I would suggest you go with the straight piping. (Is this what the adidas template will always have? If so, I would strongly suggest you change that.)

Yeah that's the Adidas Template, I wasn't a huge fan of the pant striping also but I will fix it to a less odd looking stripe

A couple of notes on UConn: Logos on baseball jerseys are always over the heart. Is there a reason you switched this? If not, I would switch the husky and the number to the other sides. Also, I would go with the red bill caps at home. You don't have to, but I think the brightness of the red works better with the brighter white pants. In general, I am a fan of wearing the darker hats on the road and the brighter hats at home, so you can take this last comment with a grain of salt.

Again, good job. I'm looking forward to seeing more of these (and hopefully they will be easier to see).

I honestly wasn't sure were to put the logo, I thought it would look a bit weird directly under the Nike logo but I'll change that and see how it looks. And regards to the red bill caps I never actually put them on the Home's to see how they look but I will do. Thank you for the Feedback :D

Tj4ZkPU.png

Lets keep this AAC train going. Houston, Memphis and SMU (yeah you heard that right) are next

Houston

OWsMh8V.jpg

-Like in my NCAA Football thread I wanted to add a bit more blue into there uniforms, it didn't really work for the Home's but I implemented them into there away uniforms

-Added there new Cougars logo onto the sleeves

-Decided to use the new Nike Hypercool Elite uniforms

-Added the hated armpit stains but I like variety and I think it looks nice

-During my creation I was thinking about how the St. Louis Cardinals and how they implemented Blue into there Away uniforms

Memphis

6p3dEAW.jpg

(BTW these are not the Nike DQT Game Top uniforms these are the Leadoff Full Button Uniforms)

-If you follow Memphis baseball you'll see how I got rid of the stupid lower-case lettering on the uniforms

-Added a Half-Armpit stain that I thought looked neat

-Decided to use the solo M logo instead of there Tiger logo

SMU

OrL7YJ6.jpg

Okay now I know SMU oddly enough dont have a baseball team either though there in one of the biggest College Baseball markets in the US, which is Texas, but in my fantasy land they have a team so were gonna go with it.

-Used the new Nike DQT Vapor uniform

-Striping is based off there Football team's current uniforms

-Decided to go with a Blue Away uniform

-Had Pony on the Sleeve

Like always please give feedback it makes these so much better, I'm also updating the first 3 uniform sets next with newer uniforms.

Tj4ZkPU.png

do vanderbilt

Give C&C or don't comment.

This should be an interesting series. It seems that there's a lot more room for creativity in college baseball. The only issues I see so far are the Cincy and UConn hats. I'm just not sure if I like that look for Cincy...it's definitely unique, but it may be too much. And I agree that the red-brimmed hats for UConn should be worn at home.

Also, just as on overall comment, don't be afraid to go outside the box! Add some uniform elements (other than colored panels) that we don't normally see in pro baseball.

You have another interesting set of concepts here. My guess is that people won't like the armpit stains, but I actually don't hate them for college baseball. My biggest issue is the weird red and blue panels at the top of Houston's and SMU's pants. I would scrap that. If you want colors on the pants, go with different colored belt loops or pocket lining (like you do with SMU, just get rid of the blue patch above it), or you could even add flaps that cover the pockets.

One other suggestion would be to lighten the stitching of the template from black to a gray color. I can't tell what of your concepts is piping and what is stitching that wouldn't be visible on a real uniform. What I did/am doing on my MLB thread is making the stitching 15% darker than the rest of the jersey (except for black, then it is 15% lighter).

award%20sig.png

Here's just a little taste of what's to come I was just really excited to post these!! I'm starting off with the American Athletic Conference.

Cincinnati

ivxqkNS.jpg

I wanted to start off with something a little out there....

-Most obvious is the Claw Marks on the Cap, similar to what the Cincinnati Football and Basketball teams have

-Colored the piping to make the uniforms stand out more

-Put the Bearcat Eyes on the back of there Collar like the Football team

Not sure what I think of this... It's mainly just the claw marks on hat. I can't decided if I like it or not.

do vanderbilt

Give C&C or don't comment.

This should be an interesting series. It seems that there's a lot more room for creativity in college baseball. The only issues I see so far are the Cincy and UConn hats. I'm just not sure if I like that look for Cincy...it's definitely unique, but it may be too much. And I agree that the red-brimmed hats for UConn should be worn at home.

Also, just as on overall comment, don't be afraid to go outside the box! Add some uniform elements (other than colored panels) that we don't normally see in pro baseball.

For the Cincy uniforms I was actually gonna put the stripes on the pants but I wasn't sure exactly on how big the stripes should be, I was also gonna put them on the uniforms but I wasn't sure were to put them on that either. So I decided to put them on the caps just because I'd thought I'd be unique. I may edit the stripes alittle more to make them look better.

Tj4ZkPU.png

You have another interesting set of concepts here. My guess is that people won't like the armpit stains, but I actually don't hate them for college baseball. My biggest issue is the weird red and blue panels at the top of Houston's and SMU's pants. I would scrap that. If you want colors on the pants, go with different colored belt loops or pocket lining (like you do with SMU, just get rid of the blue patch above it), or you could even add flaps that cover the pockets.

One other suggestion would be to lighten the stitching of the template from black to a gray color. I can't tell what of your concepts is piping and what is stitching that wouldn't be visible on a real uniform. What I did/am doing on my MLB thread is making the stitching 15% darker than the rest of the jersey (except for black, then it is 15% lighter).

I never thought of that for the stitching, I was trying to make them less noticeble but I didn't actually think of doing that. Thank you for the feedback updates should be up in a bit.

Tj4ZkPU.png

Heres an update to all of the teams I have currently done, most are very small changes like making the stitching more transparent

Cincinnati

XuBNfkJ.jpg

-Fix Stitching

Connecticut

0UbNX9I.jpg

-Switched the Red billed caps with the Full Blue caps

-Swapped the logo and number on Alternate Home

East Carolina

9dk3vI4.jpg

-Fixed Stitching

Houston

oQBMeDY.jpg

-Removed Colored stripe on back of pants

-Fixed Stitching

Memphis

k5NuK70.jpg

-Fixed Stitching

SMU

ID83gba.jpg

-Fixed Stitching

How do you think?

Tj4ZkPU.png

Alright Im back with the rest of the AAC...

Tulane

u3UZy2i.jpg

-Swapped Rawling with Nike (Every other sport is sponsored by Nike except Baseball)

-Kinda went all out on these sets because of there unique color scheme

-Added a Baby Blue Home Alternate

-Added a New Orleans Pride Lime Uniform with Mascot on cap

UCF

F0tjGaP.jpg

-Home and Alternate Away are based off of there Citranaut uniforms versus NASA Team

-Pant striping based off of there Football team striping

-Swapped back to there old font (I liked it because there current font was the MSU Spartans font....BTW GO GREEN!!)

USF

9F536fe.jpg

-Piping is based off of there Football teams piping

-Instead of traditional White Home's I went with Gold as there Home color and made White an Alternate

Please give me feedback its highly appreciated. The ACC is up next!

Tj4ZkPU.png

One thing I am noticing as you do more of these is that when you use logos on the jersey, they should be bigger. I would suggest you go 15%-25% bigger, but that's just a guess. Look at MLB or college uniforms that use logos. (For UCF I would especially look at the White Sox.)

I may be wrong, but I think something looks off with the UCF hat logo, wordmarks, and numbers. You have the the inside beveling matching the color of the jersey, which makes it look like it the number has holes in it. In their official logo they use a black outline with gold letters then white beveling. It goes from dark to light the further up you move. I think you should match that on the uniforms. On the white jersey, I would go with black beveling. On the gold jersey and hat, I would go with black beveling. On the black and gray elements, I would go with white beveling.

I do like the striping on USF. Good job with a look that isn't so traditional.

award%20sig.png

One thing I am noticing as you do more of these is that when you use logos on the jersey, they should be bigger. I would suggest you go 15%-25% bigger, but that's just a guess. Look at MLB or college uniforms that use logos. (For UCF I would especially look at the White Sox.)

I may be wrong, but I think something looks off with the UCF hat logo, wordmarks, and numbers. You have the the inside beveling matching the color of the jersey, which makes it look like it the number has holes in it. In their official logo they use a black outline with gold letters then white beveling. It goes from dark to light the further up you move. I think you should match that on the uniforms. On the white jersey, I would go with black beveling. On the gold jersey and hat, I would go with black beveling. On the black and gray elements, I would go with white beveling.

I do like the striping on USF. Good job with a look that isn't so traditional.

I was actually considering putting pinstripes on the away and alternate home but I'm honestly not a huge fan of pinstripes. As for the wordmarks I actually didn't notice that while i was doing it so thank you for spotting that

Tj4ZkPU.png

Archived