IIHF ideas... for the bottom teams

dgnmrwrw

We see the top countries in the IIHF often (Olympics, World Championships, et c.), but we rarely see pictures of or concepts for the teams much lower in the standings. So in this series, I'll be showing some ideas for uniforms for the countries that are much lower on the totem pole.

A lot of these grew out of sketches from other concepts which never went anywhere (so they're pretty rough or too unusual), but I've also tried to develop some looks that are based on cultural or national aesthetic traditions. Much in the style of international football, some of the home and road sets will be completely different from each other or feature completely different color schemes.

I've completed a lot of the countries, so I'm going to go ahead and begin posting them now. I'm using Wikipedia's page on IIHF World Rankings (based on rankings after the 2014 World Championships) as the basis for my list, and I'm starting at the bottom (no. 49) and working my way up.

So here's the first:

Mongolia

IIHF World Ranking: 49th

QHxgkUP.png3aYZugn.png

Hong Kong

IIHF World Ranking: 48th

fnR0iyl.pngznXFX1A.png

Georgia

IIHF World Ranking: 47th

gMjVq6N.pngSCoX0xB.png

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the idea, and those first offerings are on point. The all-red Georgian and Mongolian home sets might benefit from more pronounced white stripes (I think in practice they might be a little overpowering/could use some balance).

Also on a somewhat related note, when I was in Midget one of my goalies was playing for the Mexican junior national team. They may even have won that year, I can't remember, but it was funny thinking of a second-string 17 year old on a :censored:ty Canadian rep team being the starter for his country.

Thanks for commenting, everyone!

The all-red Georgian and Mongolian home sets might benefit from more pronounced white stripes (I think in practice they might be a little overpowering/could use some balance).

Trying to find differentiated looks for all the red teams has certainly been one of the challenges so far. Looking at the list, there's going to be a LOT of red, particularly red-and-white only sets or sets of mostly red with touches of an accent color. Just going on flags alone (not necessarily something I stuck to), there's Hong Kong, Georgia, Turkey, Poland, Japan, Austria, Denmark, and Switzerland that could potentially be only one shade of red plus white.

But hopefully as I go on there will be more variety.

More stuff coming up.

Thanks everyone!

These are really great! Love the custom jersey cuts!

Thanks, there are definitely repeating cuts in the series, and there will be some outright repeated templates. I've always been intrigued by international competitions where a manufacturer like Reebok or Nike went with a set template. On the surface it seems a bit lazy, but at the same time it's interesting to me to see more emphasis on color than on striping, and it makes those particular competitions easily identifiable (i.e. "Oh, that template was Torino in 2006."). But I'll definitely have plenty of variety!

More coming up.

it's interesting to me to see more emphasis on color than on striping,

Me too...Which is why I'm really liking your North Korea, Luxembourg, Turkey and Greece "aways". (although the "block of colour" on Greece is made up of striping)

Looking forward to more.

Archived