Football Trick Plays You'd Run

GriffinM6

One play my team did in highschool was the QB would take the snap and punt it downfield for a receiver to go run and pick it up.

so kinda like a modified version of the pooch punt?
In Canadian rules, you can punt whenever you want during a play and anybody from your team that's lined up behind your guy punting when he's punting can go pick up the ball for your team.

It's an offensive play. So a QB could take the snap and punt it down field for a receiver, or a receiver or running back can get some yards and punt for someone else on the team to go get it.

You can see it attempted at the end of this highlight.

http://cfl.ca/video/index/id/89941

IbjBaeE.png

My high school didn't have a Quarterback in the traditional sense. It was all handoffs and direct snaps to one of the backs. We didn't even line up wideouts. It made for really boring really low scoring games with drives that would last entire quarters. This offense would set up the one or two big pass plays a season because the defense was lulled into the run-run-run plays and then we'd catch them by throwing it over the top. I guess you could say the whole season was setting up for that one big trick play at the end of the year against our rivals when we needed a big score.

We also won like 3 games a season so it's not like the offense was overly successful.

I've had an idea for a trick play for forever and he Browns did it earlier this year. The idea was that a player (Manziel in their case) pretends to leave the field and then never actually steps out of bounds. I wish another team and another player had pulled it off so I could better appreciate it.

PvO6ZWJ.png

My high school didn't have a Quarterback in the traditional sense. It was all handoffs and direct snaps to one of the backs. We didn't even line up wideouts. It made for really boring really low scoring games with drives that would last entire quarters. This offense would set up the one or two big pass plays a season because the defense was lulled into the run-run-run plays and then we'd catch them by throwing it over the top. I guess you could say the whole season was setting up for that one big trick play at the end of the year against our rivals when we needed a big score.

We also won like 3 games a season so it's not like the offense was overly successful.

I've had an idea for a trick play for forever and he Browns did it earlier this year. The idea was that a player (Manziel in their case) pretends to leave the field and then never actually steps out of bounds. I wish another team and another player had pulled it off so I could better appreciate it.

Georgia Tech did something like that with a fake field goal some years ago (except it was a wide receiver that never went out).

My (extremely practical but awesome) idea: the offense lines up in shotgun, one RB next to the quarterback. The center sends a high, popup snap over the QB's head, who fakes like its a terrible snap. The running back darts back and catches it and rolls to his left (or the opposite side that he started from) and launches it down field.

Obviously this has a lot of potential to go terribly wrong, but I feel like it'd work once. Just once.

spacer.png

I know what "trick" play I wouldn't do: all these incredibly dumb punt and extra point formations college teams are doing these days. I get it, make the other team spend time practicing for it but they just look small time high school to me.

Probably because my small time high school team had a swinging gate extra point formation... We did some weird plays out of it but it was still dumb.

Archived