NFL done by MCH (13/32; Jacksonville added C&C Needed)

martymcfry

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far the biggest downfall to this series is your template. It is a good template but you do need to add that side view of the pants in the middle of it because we need to see your actual representation of the pant stripes. The whole block thing works if you are using basic stripes or no stripes at all on every uniform but you can't put a block of a pattern in that and expect everybody to know it is going to be represented the way you want it to be. Even if people do understand it, I feel like that is a shortcut because you have the option of using that side pants view instead and you aren't. It just holds back from your concept IMO. Don't take anything I said the wrong way because I'm not attacking your concepts or anything like that but you would have avoided a lot of confusion and gotten your point across better visually if you just used the actual side pant view in the first place. Also you aren't filling in the entire facemask on your template, there is an entire bar of the facemask that is being left white and it really sticks out to me.

As for the actual concepts I'll give some C&C on each team.

Arizona- I like the design, simple but the stripes also create a wing effect which works well with the Cardinals. I feel like it's lacking though, I'd like to see a wordmark used with it and logos on the actual uniform.

Atlanta- My favorite team in the NFL, your design works really well, I love their red helmets with the gold accent so I like that you added that. However, I actually agree with Mbannon on the pants stripe, IMO pant stripes look much better tapered at the bottom of the pants, I think that would match the sleeves better as well. Stripes that taper up like that usually look a little awkward. Not really a fan of the helmet stripe, the stripe doesn't end in a point on the sleeves or pants so it looks out of place doing that on the helmet, I think it would look better if you made it thick on the front and taper in the back not to a point but just at the back helmet bumper, something similar the way Michigan State's stripe tapers.

Baltimore- Not bad, fans would probably like it since the Maryland flag is such a big thing on Raven/Maryland Terp concepts. Again I feel like it is lacking without wordmark or something else on the jersey, I'd recommend using wordmarks on every one of your concepts though, it helps distinguish NFL teams better and creates a more unique brand for each team.

Buffalo- The throwback uniform looks way to similar to the Home and Road looks, just kind of feels unnecessary.

Carolina- Pretty much the same thing they wear now, I'd rather see an identity built more around the logo and their wordmark but that's just my opinion. I do like the black helmet better though

Chicago - Same as Panthers, nothing really different about it but it is the Bears so I guess I can see why there isn't any change.

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

Okay, I'll just make this clear: I am NOT changing templates. I already said that and it is the only complete template I have. It also has to do with the fact that Seattle is nearly complete. As for the side view of the pants, I also already said that if I got to that situation where I needed to show an actual side view of the pants then I would include the side view. As for the wordmark on the chest, I also already said that this template (and every other template I have, for that matter) are each too small to put a pixelated wordmark on. As for the Panthers, that is completely different from what they use now. There is now silver involved anymore. Please, I'm not trying to sound too hostile, but I'm looking for C&C about the design, not the template. And those white spots on the helmet, I realized just a little while ago that they were supposed to be colored, most concepts from now on will have them colored.

Okay, Cincinnati

oofuVlx.png

So I really toned down the tiger striping. I kept the sleeves colored, but with the numbers on them. Also, sorry about the quality of the helmet striping, I did the best I could. I'm really open to C&C about this one, because is doesn't feel right.

Cleveland too.

hbpMVvo.png

I don't really hate Cleveland (like I know some other people do), but since they're already getting a redesign, I thought I might as well change it up a bit. The sleeves feature a different stripe, and I brought back orange pants and jerseys. I might go rapid-fire and post a whole bunch since I'm not getting any C&C.

Okay, I'll just make this clear: I am NOT changing templates. I already said that and it is the only complete template I have. It also has to do with the fact that Seattle is nearly complete. As for the side view of the pants, I also already said that if I got to that situation where I needed to show an actual side view of the pants then I would include the side view. As for the wordmark on the chest, I also already said that this template (and every other template I have, for that matter) are each too small to put a pixelated wordmark on. As for the Panthers, that is completely different from what they use now. There is now silver involved anymore. Please, I'm not trying to sound too hostile, but I'm looking for C&C about the design, not the template. And those white spots on the helmet, I realized just a little while ago that they were supposed to be colored, most concepts from now on will have them colored.

You are being a little to stubborn about the whole template situation and "C&C" situation. I did give comments on your designs. If you don't like what I said that is fine we can agree to disagree but I'm just trying to give you constructive criticism which is what you are asking for. I was the same way when I first started posting here and was holding myself back as a designer because I was so defensive about other people's thoughts, once I got over that and opened up to what they were saying more it helped me be a lot better designer than I once was. Every comment you receive isn't gonna say "this is perfect I love it". Even the best designers on this forum don't get those comments on every single thing they post, and most of the time they probably aren't looking for that since they are posting to hear constructive criticism about their concept.

I don't think I ever said the template is bad, it isn't but why can't you use the side view of the pants with it? Just replace the block on the side with that. It is a pretty easy solution that would allow you to keep the template you currently use but have a better representation of the side view. If it is to big to put it on that template just retrace it in paint once you size down so it will look cleaner. It isn't that hard to do.

Again resize the wordmarks? If it gets to pixelated use a different program to resize it so it won't be pixelated. You could download Paint.NET or GIMP for free and you would be able to resize things to match the template without them getting pixelated. In fact you could use that pants template in paint at the size it is and than resize it to fit your current template in gimp and still make it look clean.

I'll just agree to disagree with you about the Panthers, other than the silver and the helmet change, it is still very similar to what they wear now and if that is what you are going for than great, I'm just not a fan of it. Also the Bengals set is boring (don't get mad that I'm saying that, I'm trying to help) all you did was remove the stripes from the uniform and fill in the sleeve, it might look better to move the numbers to the shoulders and add tiger stripes to the sleeves? That would still be toned down from their current set and a better look than the one you gave them. The helmet looks good, it looks clean and you did a good job of converting that in paint so props to you for that.

I'm a paint user too, however I've learned to use the other programs I listed above which have helped my concepts look 1000x cleaner. I have people messaging me all the time asking for templates and what program I use and than I can't give them my template because they didn't realize I'm using paint/gimp. MS Paint is at the bottom of the design programs though, it is literally the most basic one and until you open up to using other programs it will hold you back more. I'm still to stubborn to learn inkscape (another free program similar to illustrator) even though I really want to, I just don't understand it well enough to use it, so I've used a combination of the programs I use to get the final result for my concepts.

You have some talent, everything you have made is clean which is a step above most people starting out with paint, if you'd apply some of the suggestions I made, your concepts would look even better and it'd help you evolve as a designer. If you comment back all defensive again though, I'll keep my comments about your stuff to myself and just ignore it. Not trying to sound like a jerk, I'm just trying to help.

you took the browns and made them into the packers. Id like to see some more creativity.

also you made the bengals extremely plain and not distinguishable when that is one of the easiest things to do for a bengals concept. I'm not saying to go overboard on tiger stripes but add them somewhere, sublimate them, do something that makes me think bengals. If you take away the bengal helmet you should still be able to tell the team.

you took the browns and made them into the packers. Id like to see some more creativity.

also you made the bengals extremely plain and not distinguishable when that is one of the easiest things to do for a bengals concept. I'm not saying to go overboard on tiger stripes but add them somewhere, sublimate them, do something that makes me think bengals. If you take away the bengal helmet you should still be able to tell the team.

I did something different for the Packers.

And yeah, even I'm not even a big fan of my Cincinnati. I'll try to add some more of the tiger stripe.

@bigmike I know that about paint, and I knew I was going to take a lot of heat for using it, but I don't have another option. I've said this before, and I'll say this again: This laptop is 5 years old and can barely handle paint. Believe me, if I could use GIMP, I would. As for the Panthers, let's just let that go. I think it's substantial; you think not. Let's just leave it at that. And also, the pant template I used earlier is a lot larger that the template I'm using now. And I'm going to change Cincinnati. I do think I have an idea to fix that though.

I did something different for the Packers.

And yeah, even I'm not even a big fan of my Cincinnati. I'll try to add some more of the tiger stripe.

if your not a fan of it don't post it untill you are. thats why i take breaks in my concepts, to come up with ideas or to research. researching past uniforms or other concepts. can spark ideas, and help you in the future

Took me less than 5 minutes to piece this together. Not saying you have to use this but it would save a lot of confusion and get your point across better which would help your concepts stand out more. You say your laptop is to old to download gimp? I find that hard to believe, I have two laptops one of which is 9 years old or so and it was full of useless crap but I was still able to download gimp on it.

Not trying to come of as a jerk, I'm just sticking with my initial comments from earlier. I'll leave it at that.

Also I wasn't slamming paint, like I said before I use it, although the program is at the bottom of the totem pole, that doesn't mean it's an excuse for not producing good stuff.

PaintTemplate_zps36ed9a2a.png

It's a combination of that and the fact that my dad works for DOE and he uses this computer for accessing his hard drive, and managing the finances, among others. All that leaves little room for even paint. I can't imagine what would happen if I tried downloading GIMP.

Why does everybody keep saying I'm using that as an excuse? You want to see what a wordmark would look like? I could produce that. I thought it was bad enough not to show it. If you'd seen it, you would've agreed with me.

It's a combination of that and the fact that my dad works for DOE and he uses this computer for accessing his hard drive, and managing the finances, among others. All that leaves little room for even paint. I can't imagine what would happen if I tried downloading GIMP.

Why does everybody keep saying I'm using that as an excuse? You want to see what a wordmark would look like? I could produce that. I thought it was bad enough not to show it. If you'd seen it, you would've agreed with me.

No you don't want to post pixelated mess, I understand that because it will look bad. Hey even if you can't use another program to resize stuff, you could always just use the font tool on paint to try and come up with a similar wordmark. You can find a ton of free fonts to download here or on other websites, if that really isn't an option than you could always try hand tracing the wordmark on paint as well, that would be a lot more time consuming but would probably help you become good at tracing things for paint and produce clean wordmarks. I didn't mean that you were using paint as an excuse, that was more of a "in general" statement.

No you don't want to post pixelated mess, I understand that because it will look bad. Hey even if you can't use another program to resize stuff, you could always just use the font tool on paint to try and come up with a similar wordmark. You can find a ton of free fonts to download here or on other websites, if that really isn't an option than you could always try hand tracing the wordmark on paint as well, that would be a lot more time consuming but would probably help you become good at tracing things for paint and produce clean wordmarks. I didn't mean that you were using paint as an excuse, that was more of a "in general" statement.

You just said up there that I was using paint as an excuse for not "producing good stuff". That's why I responded like I did. Do you have a font to suggest? Most of the fonts I have use the NFL block font for the lettering. And if it's not that big of a deal, I probably won't going to the trouble of fixing it, especially with two series going on for me right now.

You just said up there that I was using paint as an excuse for not "producing good stuff". That's why I responded like I did. Do you have a font to suggest? Most of the fonts I have use the NFL block font for the lettering. And if it's not that big of a deal, I probably won't going to the trouble of fixing it, especially with two series going on for me right now.

I did say paint isn't an excuse for not producing good stuff but I wasn't really directing that at you. Like I said before, I meant that more as a "in general" statement.

Replying to the part I put in bold....I mean its up to you, would you rather focus on the suggestions people make and attention to detail like everyone is suggesting and figure out a way to "go to the trouble of fixing it" or would you rather just churn out as many concepts as you can in two different series to keep hearing the same criticism. That is really up to you. The more attention you pay to detail, the better looking your concept will be and you will probably get more "C&C".

You'll just have to search the forum for fonts, I know Conrad has posted a ton of different nike, ua, adidas, block & team fonts that you could download. Google is another tool you can use for searching fonts, find free font websites and look through them, there are literally thousands so I mean it depends on what type of font you want.

I did say paint isn't an excuse for not producing good stuff but I wasn't really directing that at you. Like I said before, I meant that more as a "in general" statement.

Replying to the part I put in bold....I mean its up to you, would you rather focus on the suggestions people make and attention to detail like everyone is suggesting and figure out a way to "go to the trouble of fixing it" or would you rather just churn out as many concepts as you can in two different series to keep hearing the same criticism. That is really up to you. The more attention you pay to detail, the better looking your concept will be and you will probably get more "C&C".

You'll just have to search the forum for fonts, I know Conrad has posted a ton of different nike, ua, adidas, block & team fonts that you could download. Google is another tool you can use for searching fonts, find free font websites and look through them, there are literally thousands so I mean it depends on what type of font you want.

I've looked through all of those, and please understand me, I have not found anything yet. FYI, I also am working on Tampa Bay right now.

When I'm asking for C&C, and please don't take this wrong, I'm asking "what that stands out needs to be fixed", not "Is there anything minor that needs to be fixed". I want C&C about the actual design, not the little things that turn into conversations this big.

And one more thing - @hockeyny13, going into that, I was not trying to make it like Green Bay, I was trying to make it like what I though Cleveland should be, not like Green Bay. It didn't even cross my mind that it was like Green Bay until you mentioned it.

Archived