Sign in to follow this  
exaccardi

Metropolitan Football Club

For those of you not familiar with the obscurities of New York soccer culture, there are three major teams in the city; a brand new, Americanized clone of Man City called NYCFC, the reincarnation of Pele's NASL franchise, the New York Cosmos, and the only current MLS franchise until 2015, the New York Red Bulls. The Red Bulls were formerly known as the MetroStars until 2006, when the team was purchased by Red Bull and rebranded. Supporters of the Red Bulls generally pine for the days of the MetroStars (when we had our own individual identity), fans still wear MetroStars apparel, and the lyrics of the supporters songs still contain the old team name "Metros". Whenever Red Bull sells the team, there will be an inevitable rebranding, hopefully in the vein of the old Metro moniker.

I've done a rebrand of the team: now Metropolitan Football Club, the name evokes the MetroStars of the 90's without the 1990s flavor of a new Nike franchise. Below is the new logo:

2cb1b0fd-0d13-4419-a948-00f3fd31177f_zps

lol it will make NYCFC and MetFC a new city rivalry making it out of Manchester City & United. NYC people loves that since they have Giants-Jets, Knicks-Nets, Mets-Yankees, and Rangers-Islanders. So why not soccer too?

The only thing I don't like about this is the windmill in the inner circle. Doesn't look finished. I especially like the incorporation of the old M.

I'm not sure about the M, I don't think it fits the logo that much, maybe you should try putting it in the middle circle.

And I'd like to hear what made you take the Red-Yellow colours.

lol it will make NYCFC and MetFC a new city rivalry making it out of Manchester City & United. NYC people loves that since they have Giants-Jets, Knicks-Nets, Mets-Yankees, and Rangers-Islanders. So why not soccer too?

I'd have agreed if there would be a possible rivalry between MetroStars & Cosmos. But really, MLS is full of bull :censored: for trying to shove pre-manufactured rivalries down the fan's throats. Who :censored:ing cares about NYCFC despite bandwagon fans and american MCFC enthousiasts (which is a pleonasm). Same goes for the brand new Los Angeles FC they just announced to take Chivas' place. FFS MLS !!

As a

I'm not sure about the M, I don't think it fits the logo that much, maybe you should try putting it in the middle circle.

And I'd like to hear what made you take the Red-Yellow colours.

I'd have agreed if there would be a possible rivalry between MetroStars & Cosmos. But really, MLS is full of bull :censored: for trying to shove pre-manufactured rivalries down the fan's throats. Who :censored:ing cares about NYCFC despite bandwagon fans and american MCFC enthousiasts (which is a pleonasm). Same goes for the brand new Los Angeles FC they just announced to take Chivas' place. FFS MLS !!

As a Red Bulls supporter I totally agree with you regarding NYCFC. Below is the updated crest w/ changes to the windmill. To answer your question about the colors and the retro M, here is the old logo. The M has been gaining traction recently in Metro supporters culture, so I thought it important to include in the crest. In terms of the colors, the old colors were Red and Black with a touch of gold, while the new colors have been Red and White with a touch of gold and a touch of blue. Red and Gold have been the continuous thread throughout Metro/Red Bulls history. The center of the crest remains red and white to acknowledge the Supporters Shield winning team of 2013, while the outer ring is Red and Black to reflect the original colors of the franchise.

1d262ff8-243b-42dc-a105-a96b8a84d35f_zps

The soccer ball kinda looks like a volleyball to me. And i dont think the M works as you have it. Also - dont forget that the Red Bulls play in newark now - I don't want to start a whole debate on where/what the represent -- but if they do have a rebrand and now that there is a REAL NYC soccer team -- I would expect the Red Bulls to identiy more with NJ than NY. That's IF they did a rebrand today. It made sense to be NY 8 years ago or whatever because they were the only team in the region. So having said that your NYC imagery - which i cant totally make out but i'm thinking its dutch inspired.. really doesn't make sense.

Like it would be one thing to be named New York ____, to represent a region, but to have specific New York City imagery when you play in Newark doesnt make sense to me. Coming from someone who grew up and has lived in NJ/NY area for 31 years.

And to be honest -- for all the corporate identiy etc etc of the Red Bulls being named for the energy drink that owns it -- and trust me i hate corporate sponsorships as much as anyone -- there are no good stadium names or bowl names anymore and there are ads all over the place -- BUT i actually dont hate the Red Bulls name or logo. If you ignore that it came from an enrgey drink i think its a cool name and logo.

I love the name Metro FC, and I understand wanting to incorporate some of the old MetroStars imagery, but I don't think the M really fits with the more traditional direction you're trying to go in here. I think, if anything, the red and black vertical stripes from the old badge would be a good place to start for that.

lpp_metrostars.jpg

...and a font that isn't Verdana.

Also, I'd stay away from the roundel since NYCFC uses one. Perhaps you should go the route NYCFC didn't, and use the shape of the official shield of New York City.

NYCFC.png

Besides, if you don't, I may have to noodle with this idea for a bit. :D

For those of you wondering where the windmill/beaver/flour barrel icon comes from, it's the Seal of NYC. The soccer ball looks like a volleyball, because soccer balls used to look like volleyballs. If you look at the majority of Premier League/La Liga logos containing a soccer ball, it looks like a volleyball. (The original MLS game ball also looked like a volleyball). I feel that the M is important for a tie in to Metro history while staying original. The plain stripes evoke too much of a FCB, Newcastle, West Brom, AC Milan, Juventus vibe to me. Why does every team that wears stripes have to include stripes as a part of their logo? My best example is Inter Milan, classic logo, classic stripes which don't exist on the crest. I'm always futzing around with the logo, and I have taken a look at other shapes besides the roundel, but currently this is the most aesthetically appealing concept to my eye. That could change, this is an ongoing project.

I thought the beaver was the cloud.

I personally like the M-on-roundel because it makes for a unique silhouette. I think your soccer ball would look more like a soccer ball with three panels per side, rather than two. All those little bits around the windmill are too busy and would virtually disappear when shrunk down to the size of a jersey badge. I'm also not keen on the windmill-as-symbol-of-Netherlands--it's a bit of a stereotype. Perhaps a Dutch lion instead? That you're using an orange-red rather than a red is a nice tie-in to Dutch identity also.

For those of you wondering where the windmill/beaver/flour barrel icon comes from, it's the Seal of NYC. The soccer ball looks like a volleyball, because soccer balls used to look like volleyballs. If you look at the majority of Premier League/La Liga logos containing a soccer ball, it looks like a volleyball. (The original MLS game ball also looked like a volleyball). I feel that the M is important for a tie in to Metro history while staying original. The plain stripes evoke too much of a FCB, Newcastle, West Brom, AC Milan, Juventus vibe to me. Why does every team that wears stripes have to include stripes as a part of their logo? My best example is Inter Milan, classic logo, classic stripes which don't exist on the crest. I'm always futzing around with the logo, and I have taken a look at other shapes besides the roundel, but currently this is the most aesthetically appealing concept to my eye. That could change, this is an ongoing project.

I should have taken the time to look it up specifically but I assumed the imagery was specific to New York City. Which to me doesnt make sense if they play in Harrison basically Newark. I totally understand representing a region or even a city even if you don't play IN that city -- but to have such specific NYC imagery in a logo.. i don't think it works. Like the Jets and Giants represent NY and NYC even if they play in NJ.. which is fine. But i think it would be a little weird if they had like the empire state building in their logo.

I know SBXLVIII logo had NYC a skyline in it but to me thats ok because the super bowl was hosted by the city, even if the game itself was in NJ because well thats where the stadium was.

especially now that there's an MLS team IN new york city it seems weird for the other team that isn't in NYC to have a logo like that. I know the original metrostars logo had buildings in it, but that was when they were the only team - plus they played at the Meadowlands - which even if it's in New Jersey its really more like extra land for NYC's teams to build stadiums.. The Harrison stadium is in NJ which is a lot more definitive New Jersey than the forever-used NY/NJ that the Meadowlands is.

NYCFC existing doesn't mean that Metro no longer represents New York, New York is where the fan base exists, and RBA is on the NYC transit system.

NYCFC existing doesn't mean that Metro no longer represents New York, New York is where the fan base exists, and RBA is on the NYC transit system.

You're obviously not from here. No one from this area would ever consider the newark path and nj transit part of the NYC transit system. But anyway - there's a difference between representing New York and acting like u actually play in New York city when you don't. The Giants, jets, and islanders all represent the New York metro area-- but none of them use specific New York city imagery as part of their branding. There's a difference.

You're obviously not from here. No one from this area would ever consider the newark path and nj transit part of the NYC transit system. But anyway - there's a difference between representing New York and acting like u actually play in New York city when you don't. The Giants, jets, and islanders all represent the New York metro area-- but none of them use specific New York city imagery as part of their branding. There's a difference.

Then why not NYNJ MetroStars ? I believe NYNJ is widely used (for WrestleMania 29 for example) and recognized as representing this very area.

First and foremost, I would try different fonts in order to avoid Verdana by all means. Verdana, as Arial, are typefaces that once were created to function as screen and printer suitable typefaces, but one should never use them when creating logos like yours. Any logo – no matter how awesome the design is – will eventually look cheap and cheesy with a font like this.

Then I would try to improve the soccer ball that now rather looks like a volleyball. Just google and draw your inspiration from various other sites. There's a lot of ways to display a soccer ball without needing to fall back on run-of-the-mill stuff.

And last but not least always check your final result for inaccuracies that strike the eye. You could place your final soccer ball a notch downward to avoid spotting the tip of the "M"'s black outline. Also the two smaller spikes that extend into the white circle have either different dimensions or that soccer ball isn't 100% centered because that right spike has more red inside than the left one.

You should also give that "M" a gold outline of the same thickness as the roundel. Otherwise it would look unfinished.

Don't give up and maybe try creating a couple of versions of your logo with different typefaces, colorations, different versions of soccer balls and so on. It's no big deal and it will definitely help you to come to your result faster than you probably think. And after that you can start to compare and sort out until you've found your favorite version.

Good luck!

Maybe instead of the roundel, use the shape of the old MetroStars crest with the M protruding from the bottom of that. I'd ditch the ball altogether and maybe find a way to incorporate NY/NJ into the upper crest with Metropolitan FC written across the top.

You have a great start here, and the basic idea is strong, just needs a little work to make it a great and unique badge!

Sorry I should have been clearer, Harrison is part of the New York METROPOLITAN Area, as in centering around New York City, hence the name METROPOLITAN Football Club. Anyone who lives in Manhattan knows that the PATH makes stops between 33rd St. and Christopher Street in Manhattan, which I'm sure you're aware is in New York. You're pretty much proof that NYCFC fans are the trolls of MLS. I'm from Manhattan, and I'm a proud Red Bulls fan, you're obviously incredibly excited to jump on the MCFC bandwagon, so go right ahead, but don't forget that Metro/Red Bull has represented this city in MLS for two decades.

In other news, I'm currently working on changes to the logo including an updated soccer ball, font, and positioning of the M on the crest. I hear you guys about Verdana. In terms of the soccer ball, I'm thinking about changing it to 3 panels a side to stay accurate with the inaugural MLS ball, but aesthetically and historically I think it's more accurate to stick to the "volleyball" format.