McCarthy's NFL

Sport

Dozens of people have done this, but I've been tinkering with NFL concepts for a while and I thought I'd share just for gags. If I was king of the NFL here's how I'd outfit each team. Note: I haven't touched alternate uniforms. Those may be coming (and in my NFL there's no one-helmet rule).

I've already done all 32 NFL teams so this isn't going to be one of those series where it dies halfway through.

AFC North

Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns, Pittsburgh Steelers

AFC East

Buffalo Bills, Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots, New York Jets

AFC South

Houston Texans, Indiana Colts, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans

AFC West

Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs, Oakland Raiders , San Diego Chargers

NFC North

Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings

NFC East

Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins

NFC South

Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

NFC West

Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks, St. Louis Rams

Baltimore Ravens

The Ravens have a famously bad helmet logo. Most people try to salvage it by removing the B from the bird's head, but that always leaves a weird blank purple spot that never looks right. I think the solution for them is to use the straight ahead facing bird. I also removed those odd purple pointed stripes that match nothing else in their package and used a purple facemask to bring more of their signature color into the helmet.

I actually think the Ravens have some pretty sharp jerseys so they've remained 100% the same. The only differences in the actual uniform is that I've eliminated the option for a pair of black pants and I incorporated that nice, rich gold color seen on the helmets and jerseys into the pants.

Baltimore-Ravens_zpsdfd85f65.png

(click to expand)

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cincinnati Bengals

My favorite team wears some garbage football uniforms. There was a time when they were one of the better outfitted teams in football. If I had to say which Bengals uniform was my favorite I'd go with the 97-03 look, but I think the Super Bowl era uniforms have more longevity and that's why this concept resembles that era more closely.

The helmet is the same as it's been since 81. It's the best helmet in football and it should never change. The jerseys have gone back to shoulder loops and the heavier tiger pattern they wore in the 80's. For some touches of modernity I've used their current number font, but left off the ridiculous drop shadow that renders the number illegible, added their wordmark on the chest, and a black pants option. Lately they've been wearing their orange socks with the white pants and jerseys and I like the idea of them being predominantly orange on the road. So although it's goes against a personal principle of mine that consistency is best in most cases, in this case I've made the numbers orange. I think they could be THE orange team in the NFL and the road uniforms enforce that ownership.

Cincinnati-Bengals_zps1b973699.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

ravens - personally i would push the design even more. there isnt really anything wrong with the logo or the number font, but i find them both really ugly. the logo is a generic concept (forward facing angry animal) but the shield design on the jersey is really unique for the NFL. i'd like to see a concept with it on the helmet

bengals - these stripes are not working. what is great about the current uniform is the tiger stripes all flow really well along the uniform and retain some believable organic pattern. what you have now looks more like a wood pattern than tiger stripes and cropping them into a rectangle doesnt help. the helmet and numbers have such nice curves, you need to bring that into the stripe designs. take a look the current uni again and note how they made the pants stripe flow down the leg and form to the players body. cues like that is what you've lost here.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Cleveland Browns

I think the Browns looked their best in the 80's. At that time they wore numbers on their sleeves and most players had their sleeve stripes cut off revealing only the top two or three stripes. This left them with big beautiful empty shoulder space, a look befitting of their old school image. I've reverted back to that and the only detail on the jerseys other than plain block numbers is the small stripes on the sleeve cuffs. I also went back to the less garish thin pants stripe and used a white facemask to better tie the helmet in with the rest of the uniform. There's also an orange pants option.

Cleveland-Browns_zpsa5573821.png

In addition to these tweaks I've also created a new logo for the team that will appear as a patch on the jersey to provide a bit more color. The Cleveland Browns identity is and revolves around their classic orange helmet with brown and white stripes so the logo should be their helmet, but doesn't have to be literally a realistic drawing of their helmet. This is a logo, after all. This logo is an attempt to create a stylized version of the iconic piece of equipment while giving it a modern twist and incorporating the b for browns as the facemask.

new-browns-logo_zpsa557f5ea.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

ravens - personally i would push the design even more. there isnt really anything wrong with the logo or the number font, but i find them both really ugly. the logo is a generic concept (forward facing angry animal) but the shield design on the jersey is really unique for the NFL. i'd like to see a concept with it on the helmet

bengals - these stripes are not working. what is great about the current uniform is the tiger stripes all flow really well along the uniform and retain some believable organic pattern. what you have now looks more like a wood pattern than tiger stripes and cropping them into a rectangle doesnt help. the helmet and numbers have such nice curves, you need to bring that into the stripe designs. take a look the current uni again and note how they made the pants stripe flow down the leg and form to the players body. cues like that is what you've lost here.

I appreciate your feedback and everything you're saying makes sense from a design perspective. If Nike helped anybody it was the Bengals. I get all of that, but I'm not a fan of their current uniforms at all and vastly prefer the pattern of the 80's Bengals. I like how they took traditional football element like pants stripes and shoulder loops and then incorporated never before seen elements like tiger stripes. It's gets the message across, but doesn't bash you over the head with the message, unlike today's uniforms.

Look at JB here:

james-brooks-bengals.jpg72539242_display_image.jpg

That's a man wearing a football uniform. Today's Bengals have to wear a tiger costume. Is it sleeker or flow with the body? Maybe, but I don't think it looks as good.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Pittsburgh Steelers

I hate the Steelers, but I don't think they have bad looking uniforms. Their number font gets a lot of grief, but I think it gives what would be a clunky uniform a fresh and fast feeling, so they stay. The only difference between what you see here and what they actually wear is the logo on the jersey is gone and the stripes actually fit on the sleeves. Also, you can't see it, but in my NFL the logo is on both sides of the helmet.

Pittsburgh-Steelers_zps7ea39870.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

AFC East

Buffalo Bills

I think the Bills look really good in their current uniforms and the white helmets are nice, but there's already two white helmeted teams in their division. Back to the red helmets of the Super Bowl years. The navy blue is gone and their color palette has been simplified to just royal blue and red. The stripes are consistent across all platforms from helmet to jersey to pants. I think this is an attractive update to their Super Bowl uniforms without venturing too far away from what made them great.

Buffalo-Bills_zps39cd1b5b.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

Miami Dolphins

My biggest issue with the Dolphins new uniforms is the minimization of orange. From a distance it's tough to see it's even there. These use the classic striping of the 72 Dolphins and Dan Marino where orange is more prominent and the 96 logo with blue replaced by a darker shade of aqua so the Cruise Ship logo is gone too. If the new jerseys did one thing right it's simplicity. When you use uniquely bright colors like the Dolphins it's not necessary to overwhelm the senses with a ton of stripes or design elements. Plus, plain white is just so Miami.

Miami-Dolphins_zps8f3a4acb.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

New England Patriots

I think the Patriots' current uniforms are almost there, but are caught in a state of 00's genericness. I removed the side panels which have never quite lined up with the pants stripe. Also, if I can help it I prefer a team wear a different logo on their sleeve than the one that appears on the helmet so for the Pats I've cleaned up the snapping Pat the Patriot and that is now the sleeve logo.

The numbers have been switched to gray with blue and red outlines and it's always bothered me how there's no silver in the numbers on the white jerseys so it's there between the navy and red.

Oh and they have a blue pants option, but most of the time they'll wear the silver pants home and road.

New-England-Patriots_zps4dd3c1cf.png

Here's the fullsize view of the quick and dirty clean up job I did on the hiking patriot.

PatPatriot_zps4b9e3bef.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

New York Jets

In the late 90's when the Jets went back to their Namath era uniforms they made the right move. However, the cut of jerseys, and Nike's destroying of their green have led to what once looked great to....something else.

The shoulders are the first area of concern. They've been solved by thinner, tapered stripes that appear sleeker, reminiscent of a jet in motion. An extra stripe has also been added to the shoulders. The green has been lightened slightly. The helmet logo is no longer that jammed and busy mess they currently use. The italicized NY within the oval delivers the same messages as the current logo, but it does so in a more efficient, and more visually pleasing way. If the Giants can get away with using a lowercase ny on their helmets, the Jets can too.

New-York-Jets_zps20c2de46.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

AFC South

Houston Texans

I'm not fond of their nickname, but they overcame it with a fantastic logo and really attractive uniforms. I think the Texans knocked it out of the park on their first swing. The only difference between this and what they wear now is the return of the red socks with the road blue pants.

Houston-Texans_zpsa6b037cc.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

Indiana Colts

Note: That says Indiana Colts and not Indianapolis Colts, which is a mouthful.

Went back to a blue facemask, striped socks, and blue pants on the road fulltime. I think their all-white look is stodgy and dull.

Indiana-Colts_zps14fb4e11.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

Jacksonville Jaguars

A uniform that would make Tony Boselli proud. The original Jaguars had one of the best football uniforms to ever see an NFL field and every subsequent change since has been a downgrade. These are exactly that look with a slightly different black pants option.

Jacksonville-Jaguars_zps9a69b21f.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

Tennessee Titans

The AFC South is the division that got it right the first time. The Titans' light blue jersey was a fun alternate when it first debuted, but it's the light blue on top of the navy blue pants they've insisted upon wearing for the last decade is one of the worst fulltime looks in the NFL. It's gotten really stale and I think the navy has more staying power and more strength to it. Plus, it's the jersey they wore in the Music City Miracle. In addition to all of that they've fallen into mix and match hell and really don't have one identifying look anymore. Sometimes they go all white, but then the yoke doesn't match the pants stripe. Same thing if they go all navy blue.

To solve that problem the light blue stripe will always be flanked by navy blue stripes regardless of the background it appears. Now they can mix and match jerseys and pants and nothing will ever look off. The helmet points have been replaced with navy-columbia-navy stripe that matches the pants, and I added striped socks to further unify the look from head to toe.

Tennessee-Titans_zpseb3bb8fd.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived