McCarthy's NFL

Sport

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AFC West

Denver Broncos

This was the last of the 32 teams that I worked on. I prefer the Broncos in their Super Bowl winning uniforms and I think the orange jerseys are just too bright to be full-timers. No changes to their current uniforms other than going back to the blues as primaries.

denver-broncos_zps3b25a683.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

Kansas City Chiefs

I LOVE the Chiefs all-white look. I think it's one of the best in the league so the red pants have been dropped. The lone issue I've always had with the Chiefs is the helmet logo. There's no yellow in the logo and they use black which doesn't appear anywhere else on the uniform. I've removed the black outline around the arrowhead and made the KC yellow shadowed by red. I think this is the best solution for incorporating yellow into the team's logo. I also enlarged it to the size it was in the days of Len Dawson.

Kansas-City-Chiefs_zps87627968.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

Oakland Raiders

The Raiders wear perfect home uniforms and near perfect road uniforms. I love the look of the silver numbers from their AFL anniversary throwbacks and to keep the consistency with the black jersey those have been carried over to the whites.

Oakland-Raiders_zps82d45f4c.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

San Diego Chargers

The Chargers were at their best during the Junior Seau/Drew Brees days. That said, they was a little too much white and not enough yellow. I made the bolt yellow with blue then white outlines and the bolt always appears directly on the background and isn't contained within a colored stripe like it is on the current uniforms.

Also the bolt has been returned to the shoulder and enlarged to make use of the space and the number is back on the sleeve. On the Seau uniform the bolt on the pants was this weird squashed zigzag. I used a bigger, more dynamic lightning bolt on the pants.

San-Diego-Chargers_zpsc7d18825.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

Kansas City Chiefs

I LOVE the Chiefs all-white look. I think it's one of the best in the league so the red pants have been dropped. The lone issue I've always had with the Chiefs is the helmet logo. There's no yellow in the logo and they use black which doesn't appear anywhere else on the uniform. I've removed the black outline around the arrowhead and made the KC yellow shadowed by red. I think this is the best solution for incorporating yellow into the team's logo. I also enlarged it to the size it was in the days of Len Dawson.

with no outline on the helmet, what would the primary logo look like?

Kansas City Chiefs

with no outline on the helmet, what would the primary logo look like?

A white arrowhead with a red outline.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Dozens of people have done this, but I've been tinkering with NFL concepts for a while and I thought I'd share just for gags. If I was king of the NFL here's how I'd outfit each team. Note: I haven't touched alternate uniforms. Those may be coming (and in my NFL there's no one-helmet rule).

I've already done all 32 NFL teams so this isn't going to be one of those series where it dies halfway through.

AFC North

Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns, Pittsburgh Steelers

AFC East

Buffalo Bills, Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots, New York Jets

AFC South

Houston Texans, Indiana Colts, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans

AFC West

Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs, Oakland Raiders , San Diego Chargers

Baltimore Ravens

The Ravens have a famously bad helmet logo. Most people try to salvage it by removing the B from the bird's head, but that always leaves a weird blank purple spot that never looks right. I think the solution for them is to use the straight ahead facing bird. I also removed those odd purple pointed stripes that match nothing else in their package and used a purple facemask to bring more of their signature color into the helmet.

I actually think the Ravens have some pretty sharp jerseys so they've remained 100% the same. The only differences in the actual uniform is that I've eliminated the option for a pair of black pants and I incorporated that nice, rich gold color seen on the helmets and jerseys into the pants.

Baltimore-Ravens_zpsdfd85f65.png

(click to expand)

maybe consider a logo with the beak closed, but still threatening, as is Edgar Allen Poe's The Raven, and i personally prefer a side view

NFC North

Chicago Bears

The Bears have classic uniforms and the home unis require no changes. The only thing I've changed is the striping on the blue pants so it matches the three inner stripes on the sleeves and socks.

Chicago-Bears_zps989e883c.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

Detroit Lions

I think the Lions looked their best when they were simply a honolulu blue and silver team. I removed the black and returned to the Barry Sanders uniforms with one small change - the sleeve stripes on the white jersey are a direct inverse of the blue jersey.

Detroit-Lions_zpse5fb2a17.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

Green Bay Packers

I went back the thick striping of the Lombardi era and removed the thick, gaudy collar. Also the sleeve stripes have been carried directly over to the white jersey. The same stripes have been applied to the socks. If there's any team who can get away with striped socks it's the Packers.

Green-Bay-Packers_zps30f05ded.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

Minnesota Vikings

I think the Vikings did a great job with their redesign, but it wasn't perfect. I corrected what I believe are the flaws in their new uniform set. The helmets are no longer matte and the black facemask is now purple. The number font is the same font as they're using now except without the odd points. On the white jersey the sleeve stripe now matches the stripe on the white pants so there is no longer a consistency issue between the white jersey and white pants. Also, the leotard look is gone with the introduction of white striped socks that match the sleeves.

Minnesota-Vikings_zpsff9caed2.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

NFC East

Dallas Cowboys

The Cowboys are a mess and there's no reason for them to be such a mess. There's tradition and there's just dressing inadequately when you don't have to. The white jerseys have adopted the darker blue of the blue jersey and the greenish-silver pants have been replaced by the regular silver pants with navy stripes. The sleeve stripes are now flanked with silver stripes instead of black and I used the old number font from the Roger Staubach days.

I may be in the minority, but I really liked the Cowboys alternates they wore in the 90's. I made a few small tweaks, which include not using the overly busy double outline and the star logo below the collar. The decision to make the blue jersey different from the white comes from the fact that Dallas has worn a wildly different "road" uniform for most of their history. So although the white jersey is now more in line with the team's should-be colors I felt like it just wouldn't be the Cowboys to have identical home and away jerseys.

Dallas-Cowboys_zpsbdf37286.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

New York Giants

The Giants are one of the NFL's classic franchises and I see no issue with them dressing in time-stamped uniforms. The NFL's oldest team from New York should be wearing old looking uniforms and that's why I didn't go with something resembling their uniforms of the 80's or 90's. Consistency is a big thing with me, but the Giants are an exception and I'm willing to excuse the fact that there is literally no red in the home jersey and literally no blue in the white jersey. Quirks like this just work for a team of the Giants' heritage. It would never fly with somebody like the Texans, let's say.

The only change is the numbers are now on the sleeve on the blue jerseys.

New-York-Giants_zpsce8e8bcf.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

Philadelphia Eagles

First of all, 99% of Eagles concepts use kelly green and silver. I'm not a fan and I think their midnight green and black is a great look, but I don't think it's used as well as it could be. For one, charcoal is far too dark as a tertiary color and only makes things more muddled (I hate this word, but it's true in this case). The solution: gray. The charcoal's been lightened to gray, the white pants are now gray to give the home uniform more character and both sets of pants have been given more familiar striping with white separating the colors so they don't bleed together like they do on the current pants.

Philadelphia-Eagles_zps4936e010.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

Washington Redskins

This was the concept that started this whole ball rolling. I really surprised myself with how much I liked the way their helmets looked when they wore just the logo without the striping for their throwback uniforms. When you have an intricate logo such as theirs too many stripes along with a bright yellow facemask can be an overwhelming site. Their helmet is visually busy as is, but with the stripes removed it strikes a nice balance. All of the colors are still there and the logo is still there, but you aren't bashed over the head with the three stripes (which BTW, match nothing else in the uniform.) I think it's a better helmet without the stripes.

So the jerseys: one of the great losses of the reduction of football sleeves was the Redskins slimming it down to the size of the sleeve cuff. It's still visible in big bold form on some players like Kirk Cousins, Mark Brunell, and assorted punters over the years, but 99% of the players don't wear their sleeves that way anymore. The solution is to move the numbers to the shoulders which provides ample space to go back to every player wearing the big double stripes.

The gold pants with the burgundy-white-burgundy stripe have been dumped in favor of their old double striped pants, but to appease the yellow pants crowd an option is there for them as well.

The socks stripe now matches everything as well. It's the reunification of a once great uniform.

Washington-Potomacs_zps823e33fa.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

I like this thread. I appreciate you not changing things just to change them. AFC South looks really great. Great choice on the Cowboys home jerseys. I think your NFL would look better than the real NFL. I miss certain team's custom numbers. I don't like every team in a varsity block font. I know there are some stinkers out there now, but I think they could be altered into something good.

Archived