McCarthy's NFL

Sport

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Atlanta Falcons

These uniforms were heavily inspired by their excellent throwback uniforms except gold was incorporated. I threw the current logo on the throwback helmet, added a more modern black face mask and incorporated the gold from the helmet stripe into the logo. The helmet stripe also appears on the pants.

Atlanta-Falcons_zps80e985e2.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

Carolina Panthers

This may be the biggest departure of any team in this series. I don't think the Panthers uniforms are bad, in fact I really like the Panthers uniforms, but I'm mostly bored with the Panthers' uniforms. They're stale.

To refresh the identity I went simpler and simplicity is in right now. Just straight black and blue. Identifying cat scratch marks now adorn the shoulders, and their first-of-its-kind pants stripe has been left on the pants, but was updated so it’s more streamlined and not so "bunchy" as it's appeared since 95. Also, I think the new logo from a few years ago was a good step forward, but I hate how it doesn't have a white keyline on the helmet or any other background it appears on. A white outline has been added to the logo everywhere you see it. Also, what is with those stripes on their helmets? In keeping with this simple look I've removed all striping from the helmet and enlarged the logo so it dominates the space (ala the Michigan PANTHERS).

For a team named after solid black cats the Panthers don’t really wear that much black so I’ve set the black pants as their primary road option and these can be mixed with their home uniforms whenever they feel like it. The stripe on the black pants was designed to be worn with both jerseys. The silver pants were only designed for the black jersey. But if they want to go all white there’s a white set of pants there as well.

Carolina-Panthers_zpsc885c3f6.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

New Orleans Saints

The Saints are like a lot of NFL teams. They have good uniforms, but a batch of flaws hold them back from wearing great uniforms.

The Saints' current issues: disco-collars, mismatched golds, repeating logo syndrome, leotard black pants, and pants stripe that doesn't match the helmet stripe.

So I removed the gold collars from the black jerseys. It's big and dumb and hard to match that fabric to the fabric of the numbers and pants, and the metallic paint on the helmet. It's easier to just make it black and frankly I think it's looks stronger.

Like I said with New England I prefer when teams don't use their helmet logo 12 inches away on their sleeves so I brought back the awesome Louisiana sleeve logo from the Dome Patrol days. In my NFL the Saints' golds match perfectly. The pants are now a metallic sheen like the helmet and the numbers and sleeve logo are a matching fabric. Also, in the category of Things That Have Bothered Me Forever the pants stripe now matches the helmet stripe. The black pants have been dropped as I think the Saints white on gold look, the look they wore for their Super Bowl win, is one of the NFL's best road uniforms.

New-Orleans-Saints_zps258b8cbb.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Simple: I reversed everything they did wrong with the new uniforms. The only differences between what you see here and what they actually wore is the tiny black blob that was the pirate ship logo has been replaced by the skull and crossbones from their flag logo.

Tampa-Bay-Buccaneers_zpsf88f3d2d.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

San Francisco 49ers

I fixed the disaster of a sleeve stripe and added gold to the numbers and stripes. Their helmet has a red facemask and I threw the SF from their logo as a chest patch to give it some more identifying characteristics. Also the pants are metallic gold instead of khaki.

San-Francisco-49ers_zpsfb47839c.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

Seattle Seahawks

The Seahawks have one of the coolest logos in sports, but their uniforms look like the acid-dream of a late 90's X-Games street luger. My goal was to take them back to looking like the respectable football team that they are.

So the wraparound Seahawk is back on the sleeves and is actually more prominent now that the stripes extend to the chest area (a nod to the stripes from the current uniform). This striping motif has been carried over to the pants and socks so consistency is the name of the game for this Seahawks uniform. The logo has been colored with their primary colors so it's more visible than the dark blue and gray you see now and the helmet is back to that attractive "wolf" gray. Also that dumb clunky ugly number font with the unnecessary pattern has been changed to a more elegant block font. That feather pattern has been eradicated completely from the Seahawks identity.

Seattle-Seahawks_zpsdd6211c8.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

St. Louis Rams

The Rams' identity is aching for some life. The drab gold and dark blue could use a refresher and the way to do that is to return to their old colors. But just because you're going back to an old color scheme doesn't mean you have to use a direct throwback. This is how I'd like to dress the new-old Rams. The number font is the same as the one they've been using since 2001, the Rams script is under the collar, but the charging ram logo has been moved from the sleeve to the hip. The horns on the sleeves of the old jerseys were clever and they looked good, but actual Rams don't have horns coming out of their armpits and do you really need 4 horns coming at you? To retain the look of the shoulder horns I used a basic shoulder loop and the sleeves now house the number. This yellow stripe with blue sleeves is carried over to the white jersey and the bold stripe is matched on the pants. All three sets of pants were designed to work with either jersey.

And I like the way the Rams look in all-white so it's a blue over yellow home uniform, but an all-white road uniform. I think this is a modern way to update the classic uniforms.

St-Louis-Rams_zpsab901406.png

and that's a wrap for my NFL. Thanks for all of your feedback and comments. I had a lot of fun with this so you may see alternate uniforms and some tweaks to these uniforms coming in the future.

THANKS!

PvO6ZWJ.png

NFC West

Arizona Cardinals

You're one of the NFL's oldest franchises. Stop dressing like an Arena League team in 2002.

Arizona-Cardinals_zps255dfbc5.png

Wow... I like it. I like it so much that I posted a pretty much identical one last year in my NFL concepts thread. (By the way, I'm not saying you "stole" it, or anything stupid like that. I'm saying great minds think alike. Its so perfect, it just seems obvious that this is what they should do.)

card1_zps73ab7f9a.png

(In fact, looking through your thread, a lot of our ideas seem to come from the same mindset. I like your stuff.)

I find it a bit odd that you took the logo off the Steelers' chest because it was too clunky, yet placed the SF logo on the 49ers' chest, even though it is basically the same as their helmet logo sans the circle.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

Archived