The "Quadruple Crown" for the Sprint Cup Series.

Race #1: Daytona 500; the race nearly every NSCS regular wants to win.

Race #2: Coke 600; longest race of the year, a true endurance test.

Race #3: Brickyard 400; race has lost some of its luster; but drivers still want to win it.

Race #4: Southern 500; back on Labor Day, the race is ready to be back to where it once was.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Race #3: Brickyard 400; race has lost some of its luster; but drivers still want to win it.

2008 is why.

I know. When tires popped like kernels of corn.

The wild card in this situation would probably be the Bristol Night Race and if it would unseat any race to become a "major", it'd be the Brickyard. Only because the Brickyard is still in it's infancy with its legend compared to the other three races.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

As (not even) a casual NASCAR viewer, wasn't the Brickyard 400 simply part of the circuit's mainstream expansion + increasing popularity?

Now it just feels like any race.

Hell, even F1 couldn't make it work there.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

As (not even) a casual NASCAR viewer, wasn't the Brickyard 400 simply part of the circuit's mainstream expansion + increasing popularity?

Now it just feels like any race.

Hell, even F1 couldn't make it work there.

How does it feel like just another race? The broadcasts go through the entire history of the track including nascar, at the end the winning team kisses the bricks. The whole thing is a spectacle.

IMO, the four majors could be

1. Daytona 500

2. Coke 600

3. Southern 500

4. Richmond (Fall race)

As said before, the Brickyard 400 has seemed to lose it's edge a little bit in the past couple years. The fall Richmond race is the last race before the chase and is a make-or-break for many teams competing for the last couple chase spots. Endurance and composure are both tested in this race. A driver's season can hang in the balance when it comes to this race. More exciting than Indy

Possibly, but I honestly don't think Homestead should be the final race of the season. It's not exciting. At least IMO. I'd like to see Richmond as the final race, but realistically I would switch Homestead with Martinsville.

I know that was a little off topic, but for a race to be considered a "major" it shouldn't be predictable nor underwhelming such as Homestead. Richmond would be perfect. After all, it is considered the "wild card" race of the season. Martinsville would be a great choice as I said. The reasoning? Master's green jacket = Martinsville grandfather clock.

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2015/7/21/krafts-korner-imagining-nascar-trade-deadline-mlb-july31-moves-rumors.html

Interesting article imagining if NASCAR had a trade deadline. All three proposed "dream trades" are respectable. I especially like the Kahne-for-Larson trade. IMO, putting Larson behind the power of a Hendrick car could really kickstart his career. Much like Logano's move from Gibbs to Penske.

The only way these "trades" could work is a driver-for-driver and not multiple drivers for a single driver because of the potential of losing revenue and having to shut down teams. UNLESS xfinity series and camping world truck series drivers are involved.

The article mentions a Newman-for-Patrick swap between SHR and RCR. I'd like to see a Busch-for-Bowyer swap with MWR as well.

Hmmm, now this is interesting....

http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/lets-play-musical-camrys/?v=2&s=1

Expanding, shrinking or standing pat?

In other words, what in the world will Toyota Racing’s Sprint Cup program look like next year?

One persistent, hot rumor features a manufacturer swap of sorts, with Rob Kauffman, currently the principal owner of Michael Waltrip Racing, taking his racing interests and partnering with a Chevy team. Furniture Row Racing is currently eyeing the Toyota camp with an ardor that has progressed well beyond flirtation.

Two potential partnerships mentioned for Kauffman are Chip Ganassi Racing and Richard Childress Racing.

If this happens, it could be a pretty decent blow to Toyota but at the same time, this could turn Furniture Row into a household name. Truex Jr. usually does well with a Toyota engine & IMO, Bowyer with a Hendrick or RCR engine, could bring him into contention for a championship.

baltimoreravens.png

About a month ago I was in the Concord/Mooresville/Charlotte area touring the race shops. The first place we visited was Waltrip's shop (where I met David Ragan; cool guy).

While I was there, I saw the strangest thing: Martin Truex Jr.'s 78 Chevy was sitting in the shop all by itself, visible for all to see.

I'm all but certain Furniture Row will move to Toyota, while creating a partnership with MWR. Truex was let go simply because NAPA left and there was no more sponsorship for him. This could be the two trying to reunite.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

About a month ago I was in the Concord/Mooresville/Charlotte area touring the race shops. The first place we visited was Waltrip's shop (where I met David Ragan; cool guy).

While I was there, I saw the strangest thing: Martin Truex Jr.'s 78 Chevy was sitting in the shop all by itself, visible for all to see.

I'm all but certain Furniture Row will move to Toyota, while creating a partnership with MWR. Truex was let go simply because NAPA left and there was no more sponsorship for him. This could be the two trying to reunite.

Yea that's pretty obvious of there ever was such a thing...,no way a Chevy team lets one of there cars just sit in a Toyota teams shop....

If you watched the Eldora race last night and didn't enjoy the entire freaking show, then you're an F1 fan! LOL The feature had what NASCAR wants for the Cup: Meaningful passes for the lead, and when there's none, attempts that make the fans stand on their feet!

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Hmmm, now this is interesting....

http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/lets-play-musical-camrys/?v=2&s=1

Expanding, shrinking or standing pat?

In other words, what in the world will Toyota Racing’s Sprint Cup program look like next year?

One persistent, hot rumor features a manufacturer swap of sorts, with Rob Kauffman, currently the principal owner of Michael Waltrip Racing, taking his racing interests and partnering with a Chevy team. Furniture Row Racing is currently eyeing the Toyota camp with an ardor that has progressed well beyond flirtation.

Two potential partnerships mentioned for Kauffman are Chip Ganassi Racing and Richard Childress Racing.

If this happens, it could be a pretty decent blow to Toyota but at the same time, this could turn Furniture Row into a household name. Truex Jr. usually does well with a Toyota engine & IMO, Bowyer with a Hendrick or RCR engine, could bring him into contention for a championship.

Yes!

I've been a Chevy fan my whole life and one of my favorite teams has been MWR. Remember,MW got all of his driver wins in a Chevy for DEI.I think MWR will really get off of the ground from Richmond.This could mean a new beginning for MWR and Bowyer.

2v1ao9y.jpg

TRhBP9N.png

YO2Xb6F.png

cubsfansig.jpg

Each manufacturer has it's banner carrier. Chevy has Hendrick, Ford has Penske, Toyota has Gibbs.

Michael has to have a soft spot for Chevrolet; it's where he's been the most successful (outside of his Winston win with the Wood Brothers).

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

I sense a tire issue with the extended Indy practice. The testing earlier this season was done BEFORE the aero changes. The 9" spoiler wasn't discussed during the test, but was added during the Coke 400 weekend.

CKcs_a-VAAEbRXm_zpsy69pvqib.jpg

Photo credit: Joe Gibbs Racing

Archived