Kenseth wins the Sprint Unlimited, a repeat of last year's performance. Although, I bet he's hoping for a win for the Chase this year. A lot of wrecks took out some contenders like Tony, Kurt, Denny & Brad. Looks like Kevin & Joey have a few choice words to each other... Cousin Carl looked like he adapted to JGR as well.

baltimoreravens.png

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeff Gordon has won the Daytona 500 pole,my friends.

Jimmie Johnson starts second.

For the rest of the field,they will have to compete in the Duels on Thursday.

But that Reed Sornerson crash made me worried.IMO,it looked like Sr.'s fatal crash in '01.

I thought the crash wasn't that ugly, the car spun with it's rear end hitting the wall. BTW, that may have been the worst 75 minutes I've ever experienced when it comes to qualifying. Anyone else agree?

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

I found it funny that all the drivers interviewed about the wreck put heat on NASCAR for the stupid qualifying format. It sucks for a lot of the small-team drivers. Bobby Labonte has been my favorite driver since I was 3, and he's been on small teams for quite a few years now, and seeing him get his car wrecked in qualifying really sucks, especially for a race that anybody could win.

Here's an idea:

The Daytona 500 front row should be determined by the Sprint Unlimited (winner & second place)

Eliminate the group qualifing

The two duels staring positions shall be chosen in "teams" by pole sitter and second place (first ten by pole sitter are placed in duel 1, first ten by second place are placed in duel 2. Last ten by pole sitter are placed in duel 2, last ten by second place are placed in duel 2. Remaining drivers not selected are placed randomly)

Keep the alternating starting positions determined by duel finish

Final spot (43) determined by fastest of drivers not locked in

.... or we could just go back to the previous format. I mean, I'm ecstatic that we'll have a JG-JJ front row (my favorite two drivers), but the format does suck, especially on these Superspeedways. There should have been a huge accident coming into three on that last lap of qualifying, but luckily Kenseth and Co. was able to maneuver around Keselowski and Logano.

Oh, and the Top 35 rule should come back. This new format is confusing and causes a lot of drivers to worry about if they're safe or not, like Stenhouse when he missed the race at Talladega this past fall. In addition, the teams that would be around the 35 point mark would probably try harder knowing that they have points at stake (at least we'd have SOME drivers making every race a points race).

Oh, and one more thing: Joe Gibbs Racing knew that Edwards was not 10% locked into the field (he locked himself in after today). Why did they not take Kenseth's points and use for Edwards, that way he'd be in and Matt could fall back on his provisional if he had to?

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Here's an idea:

The Daytona 500 front row should be determined by the Sprint Unlimited (winner & second place)

Why use last year's data to determine the grid for the current year's competition at the biggest race of the season?
I don't understand what you mean considering the Sprint Unlimited is "technically" the first race of the season. Determining the starting grid with the Sprint Unlimited and the duels would be using that current year's data not the previous years?

Here's an idea:

Why use last year's data to determine the grid for the current year's competition at the biggest race of the season?
I don't understand what you mean considering the Sprint Unlimited is "technically" the first race of the season. Determining the starting grid with the Sprint Unlimited and the duels would be using that current year's data not the previous years?
The Unlimited is an exhibition race which is for zero points and does not include all full season entrants, plus the starting position is random and not determined by speed. Why compound a poor year for a driver/team with rules which penalize them on race 1 in the following season?

Here's an idea:

The Unlimited is an exhibition race which is for zero points and does not include all full season entrants, plus the starting position is random and not determined by speed. Why compound a poor year for a driver/team with rules which penalize them on race 1 in the following season?
I see what you're saying. I like my idea of "teams" for the duels but maybe that would work for the All Star Race except the team captains would be race legends (examples off the top of my head: Richard Petty & Darrell Waltrip) they would then "draft" 12 drivers. 1st round picks would be front row, 2nd round row, and so forth. During the race, eleven 10 lap "speed rounds" & one 5 lap shootout determine the winner. At the end of each 10 lap round, one Petty driver & one Waltrip driver are eliminated until the top 2 remain. The 5 lap shootout would then occur.

Hell probably not the greatest idea, but I feel like it would be exciting.

I see what you're saying. I like my idea of "teams" for the duels but maybe that would work for the All Star Race except the team captains would be race legends (examples off the top of my head: Richard Petty & Darrell Waltrip) they would then "draft" 12 drivers. 1st round picks would be front row, 2nd round row, and so forth. During the race, eleven 10 lap "speed rounds" & one 5 lap shootout determine the winner. At the end of each 10 lap round, one Petty driver & one Waltrip driver are eliminated until the top 2 remain. The 5 lap shootout would then occur.

Hell probably not the greatest idea, but I feel like it would be exciting.

I feel like that could work for the All-Star Race. Have legends from NASCAR's past pick teams of 12/14. Then go through the All-Star race as per usual. To make sure that each captain is represented evenly; the final dash for the Million will have 4/6 cars (2/3 from each team).

The field would be pruned via crashes/eliminations to set up the final dash.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

I'd just say do traditional qualifying at the superspeedways. Kurt Busch had a semi-decent idea of doing it kinda like the Indy 500 with the average of 4 laps, but that might be a little too time consuming to do. The knockout qualifying works great on the 21 other tracks, but it really is a disaster at Daytona and Talladega.

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

The problem with group qualifying at the restrictor plate tracks is they give the teams too much time to sit there and play with themselves. Put a 3 minute clock on them, and if you don't get a lap in, then you don't get to race at all. That means if a team doesn't have a time, they pack up and go home. Don't give them a safety net. There's nothing wrong with group qualifying on plate tracks, except the teams have decided to be cute about it and not race. And if Clint Bowyer wants to blame NASCAR, he sat on pit road for how long and then went out in a group with Reed Sorenson. That's 100% Bowyer's fault, he controls his car and could've gone sooner. I don't feel sorry for him. I guess the karma of spinning at Richmond continues to haunt him. *lol* Maybe if Clint finally admits to it and comes clean, then his bad luck will turn around.

Oh, and the Top 35 rule should come back. This new format is confusing and causes a lot of drivers to worry about if they're safe or not, like Stenhouse when he missed the race at Talladega this past fall. In addition, the teams that would be around the 35 point mark would probably try harder knowing that they have points at stake (at least we'd have SOME drivers making every race a points race).

Da fuq??? No. No. No.

If anything, there should be ZERO guaranteed spots. This is competition. Not welfare.

iq5b7nF.png

The past champion's provisional should still be in place. NASCAR would look bad if the defending champion didn't make the very first race of the season. Other than that I'm all for no guaranteed starting positions.

Do any Indy-style qualifying. Single car runs, 4 lap average speed, fastest 43 cars make the race. Simple.

I know qualifying doesn't mean a whole lot at restrictor plate tracks, but it at least needs to be fair. This group qualifying crap is so dumb, and (as we saw) ends up wrecking good cars.

Archived