2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

I'm not sure how saying "I don't like the Lightning's uniforms" constitutes being an active participant in any CCSLC "meme base." It's expressing an opinion about a sports uniform. Kind of why we're here.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're not changing opinions by repeating it ad nauseam. Challenge yourself to let a Lightning reference go by next time, I'm sure it will be okay.

Didn't realize Lightning uniforms were such a hot button issue among Bruins fans in the Pacific Northwest.

Lots of things to obsess over while we are inside hiding from the rain.

It's more than mildly ridiculous how someone (not you specifically) with a high post count posts something, someone else repeats it and then it becomes a CCSLC meme, whether true or not. Maple Wings, Phoenix parking lots, etc. And then any time something tangentially related to those memes gets mentioned, multiple rush in to repeat the meme. The boards do have a hive mind because, as you have pointed out to me before, it's inherent to human nature for people to give their opinion on everything. To take that human nature thought further, they also feel the need to be accepted. And the way to get accepted is to trot out whatever the "popular" posters are posting. No, no one is cool for either agreeing with it or showing that they vehemently disagree with it. But it's not necessary for either side to continually harp over the same thing.

There's no one that comes here that thought "Man, I thought Tampa had some nice unis but now that I've read 25 times that they look like the the Maple Leafs, I don't like them anymore." You guys see a baseball uniform thread being derailed by someone who wants pullovers for all 30 teams, I see an NHL uniform thread with people jumping over themselves to point out how two teams have the same color combination anytime the letters T-a-m-p-a are typed.

Free exchange of opinions, thoughts and concepts is a great idea and lots of great conversation has come out of that here. But the endless and mindless repetition of the same trite phrase used in this and multiple other discussions takes that great idea and turns it into a competition to say it as fast and as often as possible.

Amen brother!

I just thought of a good question. Would you rather have the Lightning wear their infamous “Storm" jerseys from the 90s, or their new alts that seem to be hated so fiercely here?

STORM ALT STORM ALT STORM ALT

I mean, it goes against "good uniform design" principles, but that's a close 2nd to the Coyotes' green alts in the category of overdesigned 90s hockey jerseys that are awesome in spite of themselves

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

Am I the only one who thinks the new Duck's away uniforms are absolutely spectacular? Having a real shoulder yoke instead of a phantom one makes a huge difference. But yeah, any jersey will look bad when matched up with the Sabres "Turd Burger."

Am I the only one who thinks the new Duck's away uniforms are absolutely spectacular? Having a real shoulder yoke instead of a phantom one makes a huge difference. But yeah, any jersey will look bad when matched up with the Sabres "Turd Burger."

The bit in bold was my line of thinking :P

The new road jersey's grown on me, looks a lot better in action than I imagined. "Spectacular" is a bit of a stretch, but compared to what they just got rid of it most certainly is. I wasn't sure about the yoke at first, but it helps maintain a balance between black and orange, rather than having too much of one or the other. The number font is also a huge improvement, it was just way too big before.

The only thing I'm not sure on with the Ducks set overall is the side panels; they don't really look that bad half the time, but I would have preferred a simpler hem stripe. Either way, I've waited eight years for this change to happen so I'm not going to complain :D

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Banana yellow belongs to the North Stars years.

What does that even mean? Victory/Kelly green "belonged" to the North Stars in the exact same sense, yet the majority of people - yourself included - have no problem with their current use of it.

Okay, next time I'll find a better word to refer to their shade of yellow instead of banana. It's true that kelly/victory green was never used by the Stars (expect 93 maybe). But I still stand by my point about losing gold not being the worst thing, because the Stars always used it as a 3rd accent color. The new jerseys do reflect on the team's full history, no doubt. The branding team just didn't incorporate every element, though.

The Stars numbers should NOT be outlined in black, and here's why. When you look at their whole uniforms, never does the victory green touch black anywhere, besides the logos. Adding that trim of black will look a bit bad on the home, and disastrous on the road. Especially those small sleeve numbers, which will end up extremely muddied.

No. No no no no no no no. No.

For whatever reason, this same argument gets brought up in defence of the Stars' numbers, no matter how many times its proven incorrect. The Saskatchewan Roughriders use the exact same shade of green as Dallas, and they outline their numbers in black. In the three years they've been wearing these uniforms, I am yet to hear a complaint about legibility.

Chris+Getzlaf+101st+Grey+Cup+ChampionshiRoughriders-new-jerseys.jpg

The numbers fit well with the side panels. But...like I said in a previous post....only a Photoshop of a Stars "fix" will allow us judge and decide whether outlined numbers are an upgrade or a downgrade.

i expect the stars to be pretty plain-jane on the uniforms and keep them as-is for a while. as far as the lack of gold goes, it's totally fine with me now. the green and black just feels right and normal already. gold isn't needed. i don't dislike the gold, but it isn't missed by the majority of the fanbase. the green/black/silver seems more modern and still traditional to me.

i expect the first throwback we get will be in 2017 for the 50th anniversary of the second-six. i'm hoping that dallas, pittsburgh, philly, st. louis, and los angeles all bust out some throwbacks that year, just like the original 6 teams did in 1991/1992.

With the Minnesota Wild in the NHL, it would be really strange to see the Stars wearing a North Stars Throwback jersey. I wonder what the Stars will do. A Stars throwback from the Mid-90's when they relocated from Minnesota would be nice to see and, it wouldn't be a bad third jersey either. Speaking of the Stars, their road jersey is awesome. I don't like the new logo but how can you not like their new road jersey. That jersey is a beaut.

Why would it be strange? They used to be the Minnesota North Stars, it's a part of their history. I don't see how the existence of a new team in Minnesota has any effect on that. Is it weird when the Dodgers wear Brooklyn throwbacks because the Mets exist? Or when the Titans wear Houston Oilers throwbacks because the Texans exist?

I agree with you on the history but I still think that if a city has got a team in their city again, I think they should be the ones to wear the throwback from the other team. As for the Brooklyn Dodgers scenario, there isn't a specific Brooklyn team any longer. The Mets aren't the same situation. If they were the Brooklyn Mets, then, I would find it a little odd if the Los Angeles Dodgers were sporting Brooklyn Throwbacks. I think the Texans should be the ones to sport the Oilers' jerseys, not the Titans. In the end, it's a matter of personal opinion. Where you think it should be about the history, I think it should be about the Cities involved. If the specific city had a former team and now has a new one, I think they should be the ones to honour the old team.

I just thought of a good question. Would you rather have the Lightning wear their infamous “Storm" jerseys from the 90s, or their new alts that seem to be hated so fiercely here?

Storm jerseys by a country mile. At least that jersey has some creativity to it. I honestly think that jersey isn't too bad.

The Sabres are wearing their thirds against the Ducks today (who are obviously wearing the new away jerseys). Doubt we'll see this uniform match-up ever again, after today.

The Turd Burger has been one interesting experiment.

The Sabres third is one of those ones you see from the front only and are like "I've seen worse". You see it from the back only, same reaction. You realize what it is and it immediately becomes terrible. It's like only of those Red Wings or Rangers frankenjerseys.

Last year the Sabres wore different helmets with those alternates. They had the "Buffalo Sabres"/sabre wordmark on the sides.

This year they are simply wearing the home helmets with the logo on the sides.

2ekrpex.jpg

2zq7e4g.jpg

Literally the only redeeming quality about those monstrosities.

9C447966-0CB4-4145-B562-1BC136F78631_zps

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Throwbacks should only be worn by the team with the history and not by the team that is a completely different franchise with its own seperate history just because it now plays in the same city/state. That should only happen if the original team no longer exists, which is obviously not the case for the Wild/Stars. There's also nothing about the original North Stars jersey that screams Minnesota which would stop Dallas from wearing them if they chose to do so. I think the perfect way to settle this, actually, would be for neither team to every wear a North Stars throwback, or the Stars should wear them against the Wild only.

I'm partial to auturr, myself.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived