2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

...which would be a major step backwards. The current Blue Note is the best it's ever been.

True, but it doesn't fit into the NHL's "retro-for-retro's-sake" fad. :rolleyes:

The easy solution is to go back to the pre-Edge set (but keep their current sock striping), but they'll screw it up somehow.... I'm guessing they'll be the next case of "Original 6 Dress-Up."

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, we don't get to claim "Original Six Dress-Up" on the St. Louis Blues. They were one of the first expansion teams!

Ex :censored: ing actly.

...which would be a major step backwards. The current Blue Note is the best it's ever been.

True, but it doesn't fit into the NHL's "retro-for-retro's-sake" fad. :rolleyes:

The easy solution is to go back to the pre-Edge set (but keep their current sock striping), but they'll screw it up somehow.... I'm guessing they'll be the next case of "Original 6 Dress-Up."

Even a faux retro look will be superior to their current Edge abominations.

Howie Rose also alluded to the Isles wearing their Stadium Series jerseys a few more times later on in that game.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

What would be wrong with fixing up the prior Blue Note? Take "St. Louis" off, change the colors. I like the smoother flags better:

Fjc5V3j.jpg

Also, you'd lose the extra white keyline that floats between the navy and yellow, which doesn't look so great, I feel.

That's quite nice. I'll admit that I've never noticed that white keyline on the current logo before. I prefer the current flags than the old 'St. Louis' logo since they look a bit more kinetic to me

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

No, we don't get to claim "Original Six Dress-Up" on the St. Louis Blues. They were one of the first expansion teams!

Doesn't matter if they were one of the first expansion teams or not. When you finally perfect a logo as iconic as the bluenote and decide to throwback to an inferior version for no other reason than jumping on the trend, it's retro for retros sake. O6 dress-up is the wrong term but I can definitely agree with Lights Out's sentiments.

Doesn't matter if they were one of the first expansion teams or not.

It does, but whateves. We can circle back to this point.

When you finally perfect a logo as iconic as the bluenote and decide to throwback to an inferior version for no other reason than jumping on the trend, it's retro for retros sake.

I like the current bluenote. I also like the cleaned up retro version admiral posted. It's a wash for me, personally.

As for uniforms? The pre-Edge Blues set was near perfect. If the Blues are changing then of course the pre-Edge set is my preferred choice, far ahead of anything else. Thing is, though, the Blues' current primaries are bad. Really bad. So it can't help but be an upgrade if they choose an older uniform/logo to go back to. Will that look be inferior to the pre-Edge set? Yes. Will it still be a massive upgrade over their current garbage? G-d yes. So retro for retro's sake? If the alternative is the Edge garbage they're currently wearing, then sure.

O6 dress-up is the wrong term but I can definitely agree with Lights Out's sentiments.

It's most definitely the wrong term. And circling back to your first comment about it not mattering if the Blues were one of the first expansion teams. Yes, it does matter. The Stars were another one of the '67 expansion teams, and when they come out with an appropriately classic style sweater to reflect that heritage Lights Out calls it "Original Six dress up." And now we're talking about the Blues potentially going back to one of their earlier uniforms and he's at it again, calling "Original Six dress up." Not only is he missing the point of the term, effectively ruining it, but he's missing the larger point that teams founded in 1967 should be allowed to look the part if they want to.

With the exception of the red sloped atrocities and the current uniforms, the Blues have always looked very traditional. Anything short of Yzermanizing the logo and sweaters will probably just be St. Louis Blues Dress-Up.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

O6 dress-up is the wrong term but I can definitely agree with Lights Out's sentiments.

It's most definitely the wrong term. And circling back to your first comment about it not mattering if the Blues were one of the first expansion teams. Yes, it does matter. The Stars were another one of the '67 expansion teams, and when they come out with an appropriately classic style sweater to reflect that heritage Lights Out calls it "Original Six dress up." And now we're talking about the Blues potentially going back to one of their earlier uniforms and he's at it again, calling "Original Six dress up." Not only is he missing the point of the term, effectively ruining it, but he's missing the larger point that teams founded in 1967 should be allowed to look the part if they want to.

I'd like to point out how much Dallas has thoroughly dominated the thread about the best looking matchups that don't feature Original Six teams.

Any criticism of those uniforms is moot at this point (and really, what criticisms are left? It's silver, not gold? The team explained that thoroughly and it works. No outline on the numbers? Ok, kinda, but it might not have worked as well as we think, especially with the green numbers).

If that's Original Six Dress Up, then consider me an advocate, and I think most of the board is with me.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I'd like to point out how much Dallas has thoroughly dominated the thread about the best looking matchups that don't feature Original Six teams.

Any criticism of those uniforms is moot at this point (and really, what criticisms are left? It's silver, not gold? The team explained that thoroughly and it works. No outline on the numbers? Ok, kinda, but it might not have worked as well as we think, especially with the green numbers).

If that's Original Six Dress Up, then consider me an advocate, and I think most of the board is with me.

mind you i probably prefer the knock off all star uniforms they used during and after their cup runs, but right now their look is the best they have looked since they have moved to Texas. They are far superior to the previous set.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

mind you i probably prefer the knock off all star uniforms they used during and after their cup runs, but right now their look is the best they have looked since they have moved to Texas. They are far superior to the previous set.

I loved those, too, simply because they were unique in the league and fit the name so well. But these new ones are beautiful and timeless.

An updated-colors version of that star jersey would be the ideal third jersey for that set. Can't believe I haven't seen that concept yet.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Howie Rose also alluded to the Isles wearing their Stadium Series jerseys a few more times later on in that game.

This was confirmed by Chris Botta earlier. If memory serves, at least one other unnamed team received permission to do the same.

This was confirmed by Chris Botta earlier. If memory serves, at least one other unnamed team received permission to do the same.
IIRC the Kings are the other team.

IEI5Tg1.png

The Islanders tv commentator said today may (finally) be the last time we saw the atrocities known as their black jersey.

Has enough time passed that the Islanders could bring back the fisherman jerseys as a "tongue-in-cheek" alternate?

I honestly would consider picking one up...still remember watching this stanley cup game and having Steve Levy show them off.

6oq4fhs.gif2wp8bci.gif

3e7148f5-799f-4b32-b700-9f45eab0ac3c_zps

Blackhawks | Cubs | Maple Leafs | Bears

The Islanders tv commentator said today may (finally) be the last time we saw the atrocities known as their black jersey.

Has enough time passed that the Islanders could bring back the fisherman jerseys as a "tongue-in-cheek" alternate?

I honestly would consider picking one up...still remember watching this stanley cup game and having Steve Levy show them off.

As someone who owns both a home and away version, i would be down with that. Not any worse than the old orange alt or the awful black alt.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Archived