2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

barnessabresalt.jpg

I'll admit, when I was younger I actually really liked this jersey. I'm very glad my design tastes have become more tasteful as I've gotten older. That thing is hideous.

I did too, but growing up in the 90's, we really never got to see the Sabres in the blue and gold. I was like 5 when they ditched it for the Buffalo head.

MY GAWD that jersey is baggie. As much as I hate the cut of the EDGE jerseys, a more slimming look does work.

Could the NHL not just go back to that cut of jersey, with the current level of fit.

The only thing I don't like about the current jersey's is the tail at the bottom, and how the captain's letters often sit over each teams logo's

It was Buffalo's experimenting during its college years. It looked pretty good in a vacuum, it was trendy, they did the whole "new arena, new identity, new era" deal, and they were pretty successful. When things started to go south, though, with the bankruptcy and whatnot, I think that was when people started to miss the blue and gold. I want the royal blue back, but I hope they throw back to the red-and-black uniforms every once in a while. The 50th anniversary in 2020 would be a nice opportunity.

barnessabresalt.jpg

I'll admit, when I was younger I actually really liked this jersey. I'm very glad my design tastes have become more tasteful as I've gotten older. That thing is hideous.

CCSLC CONFESSION: That was 10-year-old me's favorite jersey. Heck, I was so excited when I went up to Niagara Falls and got one for my own, which proved to be the onset of my hockey jersey collection (besides Islander jerseys, of course)

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

barnessabresalt.jpg

CCSLC CONFESSION: That was 10-year-old me's favorite jersey. Heck, I was so excited when I went up to Niagara Falls and got one for my own, which proved to be the onset of my hockey jersey collection (besides Islander jerseys, of course)

Fun fact: I have a Mike Peca red jersey that was officially-made, but that was the year that he held out and was subsequently traded, so he never wore it. I'd imagine it's pretty rare to have a jersey like that where the team makes them with a specific name and number, but the player never wears it.

The Red and Black era was the only time the team ever looked good. I'll take an overly detailed Buffalo over a non-descript blob, floating above two swords in a roundel any day. When it comes to poorly designed logos that are only around for nostalgia's sake, only the Islanders top it. But at least the Islanders have won something.

The way they used the blue and gold was never effective either. There was never a need for the colours of the hem stripes to be reversed on the sleeves (white version). The blue jersey needs more white and a logo that actually contrasts from the background.

The Red and Black era was the only time the team ever looked good. I'll take an overly detailed Buffalo over a non-descript blob, floating above two swords in a roundel any day. When it comes to poorly designed logos that are only around for nostalgia's sake, only the Islanders top it. But at least the Islanders have won something.

The way they used the blue and gold was never effective either. There was never a need for the colours of the hem stripes to be reversed on the sleeves (white version). The blue jersey needs more white and a logo that actually contrasts from the background.

26 years of royal blue, gold, and white all thrown in the garbage. No thanks. Outside of the 1999 Stanley Cup Finals run, that 10 year period of red, black, and white should NOT be remembered fondly.

"Hey, we're Marine Midland...not only do we want our name on your new arena, we'd also like to crush your team's identity by re-coloring it with our company's colors. Hope you don't mind!"

First look at the new Ducks jerseys on ice via NHL15. Who knows if it is accurate or not. The orange looks to bright IMO. Same socks... white helmets.

On another note the arenas look amazing. They have the tesla coil up in the right corner. I hope they work!

nhl-15-tampa-bay-times-forum.jpg

I actually think the Sabres classic logo is well-designed. Technically, the elements put together tell a story that makes zero sense. What's with the Buffalo running away from 2 still swords that are positioned to cut him like a pair of scissors? But visually, it catches the eye in all the right ways for some reason. And it just works for an old-time hockey logo, and a modern day nostalgia kick. With that, it gets a bye from me. They can keep using it for as long as they want.

The red and black Sabres stuff was just...tired. Despite it being so fresh.

The Blackhawks were, for decades, the only red and black team in the league. Then the 1991-1992 season brought the Ottawa Senators into the league. The New Jersey Devils also dropped red and green for red and black. So now we're up to three. Buffalo adopts their red and black scheme in 1996 and the Hartford Whalers move to North Carolina and become the Hurricanes a year later, adopting a red and black scheme.

Red and black was one of the most prominent trends in the 1990s, and it got a bit out of hand. While the Sabres' red and black scheme was fine in a vacuum it just failed to stand out among the rest of the league. A return to their proper colours was inevitable.

I'm not a fan of the red and black era logo either. The previous (and current) primary logo conveyed the team name without a single letter. Buffalo. Sabres. Perfect. The 90s buffalo head logo was just an overly aggressive buffalo. What does that say about the team name? It just came off as another 90s identity that tried to get way too aggressive. Aggressive colours, aggressive animal logo. Blah.

I find these criticisms strange only because your avatar shows you like the current Canucks unis. I think they need to do something different with the blue uniforms if they bring back the royal blue, so I agree with you there. Poorly-designed logos that are only around for nostalgia's sake? The stick-in-rink has lapped the field, IMO. The current orca logo horribly blends in with the home jersey; they really botched that recolor by not including green. The orca doesn't even have a circle around it to help it stick out. As far as "unnecessary" elements, the VANCOUVER is as least as distracting as swapped stripe colors. I know the swapped stripes really bother some people, and I wouldn't care if they changed it, but it's completely different to me than the Sharks' asymmetrical orange stripes. I would consider the Sabres' stripes quirky (and that's bound to bother some people), but at least they're symmetrical.

26 years of royal blue, gold, and white all thrown in the garbage. No thanks. Outside of the 1999 Stanley Cup Finals run, that 10 year period of red, black, and white should NOT be remembered fondly.

"Hey, we're Marine Midland...not only do we want our name on your new arena, we'd also like to crush your team's identity by re-coloring it with our company's colors. Hope you don't mind!"

Literally!

Jumbotron.jpg

They had already rebranded by that point. B) The Jumbotron falling was cosmic punishment for ditching the blue and gold.

I actually think the Sabres classic logo is well-designed. Technically, the elements put together tell a story that makes zero sense. What's with the Buffalo running away from 2 still swords that are positioned to cut him like a pair of scissors? But visually, it catches the eye in all the right ways for some reason. And it just works for an old-time hockey logo, and a modern day nostalgia kick. With that, it gets a bye from me. They can keep using it for as long as they want.

If it helps, I've thought the whole original identity had a loose military theme to it. The sabre is/was after all, a weapon for military leaders. The primary logo isn't supposed to be taken literally; it's arranged more like heraldry or some kind of military insignia. The crossed swords facing upwards symbolizes readiness for battle. And people think I'm crazy, but the blue yoke on the white jerseys reminds me of the epaulettes on a military dress uniform. Also, one of the two founding brothers was in US Army Field Artillery in WWII (see below):

FAINS.gif

big-u-us-navy-jag-commander-dress-unifor

Edit: I know that's not an army uniform. I wasn't going for the connection with the original owner there; those are just the uniforms that the Sabres' white jersey reminds me of.

Also 1998, 2001, and 2006. But who's counting.

One of most often-used, factually incorrect myths of this rebrand. It had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with Marine Midland Bank OR John Rigas/Adelphia, yet people always use one of the variations.

It might seem blasphemous, but Nike made the most comfortable pair of goalie skates I ever wore.

Same here- their Goalie equipment is really top notch. I loved my Vapor XXX's but my Reebok Clones are miles above what reebok could ever put out.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

Also 1998, 2001, and 2006. But who's counting.

There were nine seasons with red/black... six trips to the playoffs, three trips to the conference finals and one Stanley Cup finals appearance. You can't pretend like they were bottom-feeders the whole time. All of the suckitude was in three out of the final four seasons around the Rigas meltdown time, so maybe that changes your perspective of things.

I know I'm a total homer, but this goal is just one of the coolest damn goals ever scored in the NHL playoffs. Game 7... overtime... off the outstretched glove of the goalie... Tugnutt's reaction with the perfect angle from the net cam... and in front of a home crowd... purdy. So there's something outside of the '99 run.

Archived