2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

As for the logo, it is odd that a buffalo head is the primary crest, but I give them a pass because that's become a Buffalo thing. The animal has always appeared on the crest in one way or another of their primary home and aways and the city's NFL brother wears a helmet logo that relates solely to the city name. That buffalo head crest is one of my favorites.

But the whole reason that the expansion team decided to go with the name Sabres was to buck the trend of Buffalo sports teams using buffalo/bison imagery. Switching to a logo that has a total of zero sabres on it defeated the purpose of choosing that name. When I was a kid I didn't even realize that a sabre was a type of sword. I just thought that it was another name for a buffalo.
So what did you think a Buffalo Bill was? And still is, for that matter.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for the logo, it is odd that a buffalo head is the primary crest, but I give them a pass because that's become a Buffalo thing. The animal has always appeared on the crest in one way or another of their primary home and aways and the city's NFL brother wears a helmet logo that relates solely to the city name. That buffalo head crest is one of my favorites.

But the whole reason that the expansion team decided to go with the name Sabres was to buck the trend of Buffalo sports teams using buffalo/bison imagery. Switching to a logo that has a total of zero sabres on it defeated the purpose of choosing that name. When I was a kid I didn't even realize that a sabre was a type of sword. I just thought that it was another name for a buffalo.
If the Knox brothers wanted to buck the trend of Buffalo teams using bison imagery, then why did they have a bison on their logo since Day 1?

Sabres fans were so willing to embrace a blue and gold team again that they bought the BuffaSlug merchandise in large enough quantities to break records. The same BuffaSlug look the team dropped because the fans hated it.

That's how popular blue and gold is among the Sabres' fanbase.

And it didn't hurt that they were a staph infection away from the Stanley Cup Finals right before switching to the slug.

For the slug uniforms, they opted for a combination of the two era's. Hence the carry over of silver, continued use of a Buffalo on the front and unorthodox striping (Reebok was also a factor). Should have just went with the original Royal Blue & Gold... The current scheme has aged poorly and will always be reminiscent of those awful slug uniforms. Current alternate isn't helping its case either...

If the Knox brothers wanted to buck the trend of Buffalo teams using bison imagery, then why did they have a bison on their logo since Day 1?

Well the logo includes both parts of their name. A Buffalo over crossed sabres. They wanted to avoid using the buffalo exclusively which is why they didn't use the Bisons nickname that had been used in the past.

10524597_10152389203293472_1712364021980

The Ducks just posted this on their Facebook page, weren't the numbers supposed to be with an orange trim ?

That is orange (I think). But I thought the same thing when I saw it on the Facebook page. It almost looks like some weird gold/orange hybrid. It doesn't look like the Ducks actual orange. But eh, it seems like a hastily made graphic for the sake of it. And even if it is orange, it's not the first mix-up. I posted a few pictures from when Kesler made his official debut and there was gold there too.

Eh, I'm not too concerned yet. (If anything, I'm more concerned that they announced Bryan Allen's number change, which means he's still here <_< ) Like I said, there's already been some confusion as to what's going on with the numbers. We won't know for sure until we get to training camp and the season with the actual jerseys.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

reminiscent of those awful slug uniforms.

Still better than the dull jerseys they wear now.

In order of coolest to least coolest primary logos in the teams history

1. Angry buffalo head

2. Leaping dynamic Buffalo (aka "Buffaslug")

3. Dull skull and crossbones ripoff with a buffalo and sabres. (aka their classic logo/logo they have now)

The Catch of the Day!

1. Angry buffalo head

3. Dull skull and crossbones ripoff with a buffalo and sabres. (aka their classic logo/logo they have now)

Confused-Jacksonville-Jaguars-fan-in-sta

1. Angry buffalo head

It's funny how you exaggerate that more than anything else

Trevor Linden was on local radio, and said the Canucks were researching yet another jersey change. Very much interested in bringing Johnny Canuck back as the teams main logo.

No word on the colours, but I'd assume they'd stick with blue & green.

Likely would not be done in time for next year though

Way too much striping going on, but at least they've got the logo they should have had from the beginning. Nice to see.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

ColorWerx, I'm very interested in the green neck taping that is on the images of the front of the jerseys. Is that present on all of the jerseys in the style guide? I ask because it first popped up on the Indo-Edge jerseys (retail authentics made in Indonesia) but has been seen recently on on-ice authentics too, like the Stadium Series jerseys and the San Jose jerseys the team used for their "jerseys off our back" program. Like the new (read: fake) laces on new jersey designs I'm curious if the green neck taping will become standard issue as well.

I don't remember seeing it in this thread, but are the Capitals getting new home jerseys? I was just in a local sports shop and they had their red Capitals jerseys on the clearance rack with the Blues jerseys. The employee in the store was clueless as usual. I don't think they knew the Blues were getting new jerseys and I live fairly close to St. Louis.

Archived