2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

Trevor Linden was on local radio, and said the Canucks were researching yet another jersey change. Very much interested in bringing Johnny Canuck back as the teams main logo.

No word on the colours, but I'd assume they'd stick with blue & green.

Likely would not be done in time for next year though

This is great news. However, the Canucks don't need another massive uniform overhaul. As much as I loved the 80's and early 90's look, the club needs to stick with the blue and green look, which I'm very sure they will.

Getting Johnny Canuck back as the main logo not only brings the club back to its true roots, it will cure the identity crisis that has plagued this franchise from Day One or in many cases, since the first rebrand in '78. I'm also not opposed to making the Stick 'n Rink C as the primary with Johnny(not the Johnny V-head) on the shoulders.

I would also like to see the Canucks return to the traditional and legible block font with an added green border and some green added to the jersey collar.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't remember seeing it in this thread, but are the Capitals getting new home jerseys? I was just in a local sports shop and they had their red Capitals jerseys on the clearance rack with the Blues jerseys. The employee in the store was clueless as usual. I don't think they knew the Blues were getting new jerseys and I live fairly close to St. Louis.

If they do, they didn't say any words out loud, just like San Jose last year so it might be possible but there hasn't been any words of that

I don't remember seeing it in this thread, but are the Capitals getting new home jerseys? I was just in a local sports shop and they had their red Capitals jerseys on the clearance rack with the Blues jerseys. The employee in the store was clueless as usual. I don't think they knew the Blues were getting new jerseys and I live fairly close to St. Louis.

If they do, they didn't say any words out loud, just like San Jose last year so it might be possible but there hasn't been any words of that

Would they be finally promoting the Weagle to be the primary instead of the crappy wordmark?

The Canucks don't need new uniforms. They manage to be traditional and unique while representing the city perfectly. Who cares if the primary logo doesn't depict a "Canuck," not every logo has to be a perfect literal interpretation of the teams namesake (Boston, Montreal). It's a great looking crest that represents of the topography of the Pacific Northwest perfectly. I've also gotten used to the arched script to the point where I'd argue it could be their thing. The Orca doesn't look right without it at this point.

...and if they alter those colours in even the slightest way, I will be so choked :(

You'll notice there is no Canucks jersey from the class of 2007 in my sig... This is for good reason. The Canucks and Bruins (miraculously) got their first Edge uniforms right the first time.

The Canucks don't need new uniforms. They manage to be traditional and unique while representing the city perfectly. Who cares if the primary logo doesn't depict a "Canuck," not every logo has to be a perfect literal interpretation of the teams namesake (Boston, Montreal). It's a great looking crest that represents of the topography of the Pacific Northwest perfectly. I've also gotten used to the arched script to the point where I'd argue it could be their thing. The Orca doesn't look right without it at this point.

...and if they alter those colours in even the slightest way, I will be so choked :(

You'll notice there is no Canucks jersey from the class of 2007 in my sig... This is for good reason. The Canucks and Bruins (miraculously) got their first Edge uniforms right the first time.

While the colours and jersey template are fine, a lot of fans still don't live the Orca bay logo (it was in fact based on the Orca Bay logo), and the Vancouver script over the logo.

This is the big problem with the Canucks. Every generation of fan has grown up with a different jersey/logo, so different aged fans remain loyal to different era jerseys

I'm in the minority that actually likes the script above the whale logo. Not sure how small that minority is though.

I hated it from the beginning, and hope no other teams copy it. That beigng said, I dont hate it anymore, and it doesnt even bother me that the canucks do it. They would be perfect without it, but, it isnt too too bad. Less annoying than the extra piping on my beloved sabres jersey

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Drop the whale and use the secondary Johnny Canuck logo,
Drop Agency in favor of a traditional block font.
I don't mind the monochrome lettering, but an argument could be made for extra layers of colored twill.

I have no strong feelings about the "Vancouver" arch, take it or leave it.

5amlwx.jpg

Morgo, I have a question to ask you....how long have you been a Canucks fan? Do you go back to the days of Stan Smyl and the Flying V? Don Lever and the second version of the original Stick 'n Rink? I go back to the Flying V days and do not regret it one bit. I loved the home yellows and enjoyed the run to the '82 finals. I loved the Speeding Skate uniforms during the run to the '94 finals. When there was talk about changing the Skate logo and colours after the move to GM Place, I was dead-set against it. Just like you are dead-set against changing the Orca and the 'VANCOUVER' word mark.

However, I kept an open mind that if the changing my beloved Skate logo meant going back to the team roots, ie. Johnny Canuck and/or the Stick 'n Rink, I was all for the change. Going with the orca was a huge mistake and it's main purpose was to put the former Orca Bay Sports & Entertainment's corporate fins on the Canucks' brand.

I know that we will continue to butt heads over what should be the Canucks' primary identity. You love the Orca brand and its connection to Western Canada's Native history and the Pacific Northwest area. I loved the Skate logo because of the memories of the Smyl, Linden, and Bure era. I loved it's dynamic look and colours. However, both the Orca and Skate logos are themed logos. The Orca ties into the former meddling and absentee ownership and the Skate was created in '78, along with the Flying V, to install aggression and passion to a struggling and talent-thin hockey team.

So, what's the answer then? If not Johnny Canuck as the primary, we both agree on the modern Stick 'n Rink. I also favour returning back to the 1970 version with the original striping and white V's on the arms. The skating JC can be placed on the shoulders and as the primary crest of a new 3rd jersey.

The fact is that if the Canucks do the right thing by ditching the orca and going with the skating Johnny Canuck/Stick 'n Rink brand, their identity crisis will be over. Either one of those two logos should be the primary and the other being the secondary. Johnny answers the question, "What's a Canuck" and the Stick 'n Rink has the familiar simplicity that shows two hockey elements, the initial of the team name, and the colours represent Vancouver and B.C. perfectly.

By the way, keep up the great hand-drawn work. Looking forward to seeing more of your outstanding concepts.

Ok, I'll say it. I might be in a vast minority here, but someone has to say it:

The Vancouver Millionaires V logo is the best one the Canucks have used.

It's not abstract, a plate of spaghetti, or a random whale. It makes sense, and fits in with marks like the Canadiens, Bruins, and Stars. Simple, letter-centric, easily replicated, and fitting.

Throw the stick-in-rinks on the shoulders for nostalgia's sake and call it a day.

Johnny Canuck can go on a third where he belongs.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Could be a coincidence or a mistake. For what it's worth, Blues jerseys are discounted on the nhl shop website, while Caps jerseys are still full price.

http://shop.nhl.com/St_Louis_Blues_Jerseys

http://shop.nhl.com/Washington_Capitals_Jerseys

90758391980.gif

I agree that the colours and striping should be kept, and while I don't agree with your reasoning behind keeping the Orca, I can see where you're coming from. However, the logo itself is horribly designed and ugly. I'm still adamant that the reason they went with the logo they did was to sell more jerseys during the olympics. Stick-In-Rink, or a Johnny Canuck logo that actually looks good on a jersey should be next.

Could be a coincidence or a mistake. For what it's worth, Blues jerseys are discounted on the nhl shop website, while Caps jerseys are still full price.

http://shop.nhl.com/St_Louis_Blues_Jerseys

http://shop.nhl.com/Washington_Capitals_Jerseys

I live in Illinois. It might be that the Capitals jerseys were on clearance because they just weren't selling well.

Johnny Canuck is a dumb logo, sorry.

Thank you.

The answer to Vancouver's identity crisis is not to get a new identity. Keep the orca, which you've had for almost twenty years (!). Remove the overly-detailed full-bodied Johnny and the awkward decapitated graduating Johnny. Make a few small changes (block font, green outline in numbers, thicker striping, remove the arched "VANCOUVER"), and that's it. The Canucks don't need to re-invent themselves again.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Went to Jersey City yesterday to add to my collection. My goal was to picknup a Nordiques jersey but found that paying $135 for a CCM jersey a little rediculous as that was the same price as the Reebok ones. What I did end up picking up was a new Winnipeg Jets away jersey as it was only $99... This was also the price for Vancouver home and there was one other team that had their jersey for $99. I tried to ask why these teams were the only ones at $99 but he was just a kid who went on a tangent on how those teams sucked. I may be picking at straws here but if the price of jerseys drop like that for certain teams, does that mean changes are on the horizon?

Morgo, I have a question to ask you....how long have you been a Canucks fan? Do you go back to the days of Stan Smyl and the Flying V? Don Lever and the second version of the original Stick 'n Rink? I go back to the Flying V days and do not regret it one bit. I loved the home yellows and enjoyed the run to the '82 finals. I loved the Speeding Skate uniforms during the run to the '94 finals. When there was talk about changing the Skate logo and colours after the move to GM Place, I was dead-set against it. Just like you are dead-set against changing the Orca and the 'VANCOUVER' word mark.

However, I kept an open mind that if the changing my beloved Skate logo meant going back to the team roots, ie. Johnny Canuck and/or the Stick 'n Rink, I was all for the change. Going with the orca was a huge mistake and it's main purpose was to put the former Orca Bay Sports & Entertainment's corporate fins on the Canucks' brand.

I know that we will continue to butt heads over what should be the Canucks' primary identity. You love the Orca brand and its connection to Western Canada's Native history and the Pacific Northwest area. I loved the Skate logo because of the memories of the Smyl, Linden, and Bure era. I loved it's dynamic look and colours. However, both the Orca and Skate logos are themed logos. The Orca ties into the former meddling and absentee ownership and the Skate was created in '78, along with the Flying V, to install aggression and passion to a struggling and talent-thin hockey team.

So, what's the answer then? If not Johnny Canuck as the primary, we both agree on the modern Stick 'n Rink. I also favour returning back to the 1970 version with the original striping and white V's on the arms. The skating JC can be placed on the shoulders and as the primary crest of a new 3rd jersey.

The fact is that if the Canucks do the right thing by ditching the orca and going with the skating Johnny Canuck/Stick 'n Rink brand, their identity crisis will be over. Either one of those two logos should be the primary and the other being the secondary. Johnny answers the question, "What's a Canuck" and the Stick 'n Rink has the familiar simplicity that shows two hockey elements, the initial of the team name, and the colours represent Vancouver and B.C. perfectly.

By the way, keep up the great hand-drawn work. Looking forward to seeing more of your outstanding concepts.

I grew up in the 80's-90's and the Vancouver Canucks' home whites with the skate-in-motion logo and colors was a thing of beauty. I started off the '94 Finals cheering for the Rangers...but wound up disappointed that Vancouver lost game 7.

Archived