2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

The Islanders tv commentator said today may (finally) be the last time we saw the atrocities known as their black jersey.

Has enough time passed that the Islanders could bring back the fisherman jerseys as a "tongue-in-cheek" alternate?

I honestly would consider picking one up...still remember watching this stanley cup game and having Steve Levy show them off.

As someone who owns both a home and away version, i would be down with that. Not any worse than the old orange alt or the awful black alt.
Except it goes with nothing in their current set, it has navy and teal rather than just royal blue, and a logo that hasn't been used at all anywhere since the fish sticks were replaced

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you finally perfect a logo as iconic as the bluenote and decide to throwback to an inferior version for no other reason than jumping on the trend, it's retro for retros sake.

I like the current bluenote. I also like the cleaned up retro version admiral posted. It's a wash for me, personally.

As for uniforms? The pre-Edge Blues set was near perfect. If the Blues are changing then of course the pre-Edge set is my preferred choice, far ahead of anything else. Thing is, though, the Blues' current primaries are bad. Really bad. So it can't help but be an upgrade if they choose an older uniform/logo to go back to. Will that look be inferior to the pre-Edge set? Yes. Will it still be a massive upgrade over their current garbage? G-d yes. So retro for retro's sake? If the alternative is the Edge garbage they're currently wearing, then sure.

O6 dress-up is the wrong term but I can definitely agree with Lights Out's sentiments.

It's most definitely the wrong term. And circling back to your first comment about it not mattering if the Blues were one of the first expansion teams. Yes, it does matter. The Stars were another one of the '67 expansion teams, and when they come out with an appropriately classic style sweater to reflect that heritage Lights Out calls it "Original Six dress up." And now we're talking about the Blues potentially going back to one of their earlier uniforms and he's at it again, calling "Original Six dress up." Not only is he missing the point of the term, effectively ruining it, but he's missing the larger point that teams founded in 1967 should be allowed to look the part if they want to.

Yeah Lights Out is definitely misusing the term Original Six Dressup. Only difference between the Original Six designs and the class of 1967 were the colours. The Kings even used the same template as Detroit. The bigger issue though is that this is a bad move for the Blues.

If the Blues had won anything in any of the previous iterations of the logos and jerseys I could see the logic in throwing back them. Since they haven't won a cup, and may be on the verge on winning one, it makes zero sense to throwback to an inferior logo and uniform set. I look at the primary logos below and not only is the 1998 version far and away the best, the other versions look amateur by comparison. Especially the rounded one from 1987. Yes the bib templated jerseys need to go but talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater... The 2007 jerseys would work so well on the edge template too.

o9bl.png

The Islanders tv commentator said today may (finally) be the last time we saw the atrocities known as their black jersey.

Has enough time passed that the Islanders could bring back the fisherman jerseys as a "tongue-in-cheek" alternate?

I honestly would consider picking one up...still remember watching this stanley cup game and having Steve Levy show them off.

As an Islanders fan since the late 70's let me answer this with a clear and resounding NO. From a fan perspective, that jersey/logo symbolizes one of the worst times in the franchises's history.

As someone who owns both a home and away version, i would be down with that. Not any worse than the old orange alt or the awful black alt.
Except it goes with nothing in their current set, it has navy and teal rather than just royal blue, and a logo that hasn't been used at all anywhere since the fish sticks were replaced

Don't get me wrong, I realize it doesn't fit their color schemes. I guess perhaps I should say it would be fun to see it return for one night, similar to how the Ducks brought back their "Mighty" jerseys for one night only earlier this year.

6oq4fhs.gif2wp8bci.gif

3e7148f5-799f-4b32-b700-9f45eab0ac3c_zps

Blackhawks | Cubs | Maple Leafs | Bears

Don't get me wrong, I realize it doesn't fit their color schemes. I guess perhaps I should say it would be fun to see it return for one night, similar to how the Ducks brought back their "Mighty" jerseys for one night only earlier this year.

How about bringing it back as an April Fools Day alternate?

How about bringing it back as an April Fools Day alternate?

I think you've nailed it!

6oq4fhs.gif2wp8bci.gif

3e7148f5-799f-4b32-b700-9f45eab0ac3c_zps

Blackhawks | Cubs | Maple Leafs | Bears

I look at the primary logos below and not only is the 1998 version far and away the best, the other versions look amateur by comparison. Especially the rounded one from 1987.

Now listen, Morgo, just because the rounded note has a secret message only you can see about the dangers of fluoridation doesn't mean it's amateur.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

gCvPoU4.jpg

This makes a really big difference, I feel. White and yellow shouldn't touch in small quantities, if it can be avoided.

I agree, but what are the chances that actually qualifies as the logo change resulting in all of their merch being listed as TBD? Pretty small, probably. While this would be a very acceptable logo change, I think we're probably in store for something a bit more drastic, unfortunately.

A few Anaheim Ducks related rumors...

From someone who has seen the new Reebok/CCM catalog, the Anaheim Ducks home/away jerseys are showing as TBD, with the third jersey as unchanged. I'd like confirmation if possible; anybody involved with seeing all the Blues stuff as TBD see this with the Ducks?

And an employee for the team is claiming the home/away are going to be the same as they are now, just replace the Anaheim Ducks wordmark with the D logo. Third jersey stays third jersey.

ZcIWjWQ.jpg

#AnaheimDucksGoooaaalll #LightThatLamp #DucksFlyTogether

#BlowKingsBlow #YoureAllQueens #SJSharts

Is anyone else surprised by Calgary and Colorado's insistence on keeping these piles of :censored: for another season longer than they have to? Can't blame RBK on that ...

Surprised: no...

Disappointed: extremely.

The only Avalanche sweater I can stand now is the third and it still not great. The addition of hem stripes would make it so much better though.

Seriously how hard would this be to do:

athirdhem_zps54c7e87b.png

In my mind, the third is mostly overrated. It lacks character as just another navy blue set in the league with fill tool striping and a mediocre roundel logo. While I get that it's not a bad looking jersey, it's certainly not primary worthy.

Midway.png

Archived