2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

You'll notice there is no Canucks jersey from the class of 2007 in my sig... This is for good reason. The Canucks and Bruins (miraculously) got their first Edge uniforms right the first time.

So the 2011 Stanley Cup Finals must have been the best looking Edge-era final for you huh?

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@VancouverFan69

Only been a fan since the 94 run. The 1994 playoffs were my introduction to hockey at the age of 8. While I like the skate uniforms of that era for nostalgic purposes, I still think Green and Blue is the way to go. In fact I'm more worried about them changing those colours than what logo they will use. The modern Stick n' Rink on the current jerseys with no script would look stellar but that is the only upgrade I can think of. The full bodied Johnny Canuck is just too cartoonish, the decapitated head on a "V" is awkward and on the original "Stick n' Rink" you can barely make out the "C."

Also, thank you for the kind words about my concepts.

Ok, I'll say it. I might be in a vast minority here, but someone has to say it:

The Vancouver Millionaires V logo is the best one the Canucks have used.

It's not abstract, a plate of spaghetti, or a random whale. It makes sense, and fits in with marks like the Canadiens, Bruins, and Stars. Simple, letter-centric, easily replicated, and fitting.

Throw the stick-in-rinks on the shoulders for nostalgia's sake and call it a day.

Johnny Canuck can go on a third where he belongs.

A generic "V" with "Vancouver" written awkwardly inside it is their best logo?

The Skate-in-motion logo was terrible dated, even when it was unveiled.

The only way that could possibly work again is if it is updated a la Washington's wordmark:
They would need to redesign the team name to fit in the shape of a contemporary skate chassis, not the ancient tube skate look the original had.

Oh, and you know.. NOT going back to Team Deutschland colours while they're at it.

5amlwx.jpg

How about the skate-in-motion logo in the green, blue, and white colors?

Mock-up, anyone?

n4pwgddh2btyqlw1fc1hkpkht_zps498cf729.pn

That's nice, but I think they have to drop many of those motion lines and solidify the boot, if that makes sense.

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

The real problem will come once the Canucks announce they will be unveiling a new identity. All the speculation becomes mayhem.

Oh, people want the stick-in-rink, the spaghetti skate, the orca logo or Johnny Canuck. By the end of the unveiling, majority will be unhappy. It's most likely blue and green, but choosing the logo will screw everyone over.

Plus, I doubt Morgo is actually a Canucks fan, living in a city where you're probably dead of you're found with Canucks gear

@VancouverFan69

Only been a fan since the 94 run. The 1994 playoffs were my introduction to hockey at the age of 8. While I like the skate uniforms of that era for nostalgic purposes, I still think Green and Blue is the way to go. In fact I'm more worried about them changing those colours than what logo they will use. The modern Stick n' Rink on the current jerseys with no script would look stellar but that is the only upgrade I can think of. The full bodied Johnny Canuck is just too cartoonish, the decapitated head on a "V" is awkward and on the original "Stick n' Rink" you can barely make out the "C."

It's not abstract, a plate of spaghetti, or a random whale. It makes sense, and fits in with marks like the Canadiens, Bruins, and Stars. Simple, letter-centric, easily replicated, and fitting.

Throw the stick-in-rinks on the shoulders for nostalgia's sake and call it a day.

Yes. The rest of their logos are that bad. None of them give any clue as to what a Canuck is, nor do they represent the city all that well (the orca's design is the closest that comes). At least that awkward V gives a city name, and a letter in a certain style is certainly recognizable.

moreso than the plate of spaghetti, no matter what color its in.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

The Skate-in-motion logo was terrible dated, even when it was unveiled.

The only way that could possibly work again is if it is updated a la Washington's wordmark:

They would need to redesign the team name to fit in the shape of a contemporary skate chassis, not the ancient tube skate look the original had.

Oh, and you know.. NOT going back to Team Deutschland colours while they're at it.

It's liked because of the nostalgic fact. A 3rd jersey would be fine, but I agree blue and green are their identity

@VancouverFan69

@ Morgo

I was three times your age during the '94 run. So, you are the same age today as I was when the Canucks took on the Orca logo! There seems to be somewhat of a pattern here, lol. The Orca is to you what the Skate was to me.

As for the colours, I wouldn't worry about the blue and green brand disappearing. That's the club's true original look. As much as I loved the black, orangey red, and yellow, I was so happy when the Canucks re-introduced the original colours during the Orca Bay era. The club should have never ever abandoned the Vancouver look in the first place. I am, however, open to changing the shade of blue and I can even live with a touch of silver accents. I love the royal blue but what are your thoughts on navy blue? Not the Chicago Bears dark blue that the Orca Bay uniforms had but more like the shade of navy the Sabres currently use. It would make the kelly green pop out even more.

We will continue to agree to disagree on the skating Johnny Canuck logo but we both agree on the updated Stick 'n Rink. A also agree that the Millionaires' V should stay on the Millionaires jerseys and not on the Canucks' jerseys. My only critique of going with the skating Johnny is that it becomes the Canucks' fourth primary logo and that's a lot of primary logos for the NHL's third oldest Canadian franchise. That's why I understand people on the board hating "another" Canuck logo change. That's why I was so furious when, back in '97, meddling Orca Bay undermined minority owner, Arthur Griffiths and GM Pat Quinn by picking an orca for the new logo over Johnny Canuck. I hated to see the Skate go but was very open to having the iconic lumberjack whose name our beloved club is named after. The same ownership that fires Quinn as president and GM but phones him the next day to ask him to come back and coach.

Regarding the Stick 'n Rink, I still have a strong fondness for the original version. In fact, I have news to share with you. On the local station, TEAM 1040, there was a poll on Tuesday on what is one's favourite Canucks jersey. The results spoke for themselves:

What is your favorite Canucks jersey? Flying V
6.1% Stick in Rink
52.4% Skate
19.5% Salmon red alternate
7.3% Original Orca
2.4% Current Orca
12.2%
If it were up to me, I would use the classic and original Stick 'n Rink because many traditionalists think the updated version looks cartoonish. I don't agree but you can't blame them for not liking the angled stick.
That's why I am working on a concept that has the original version have a few of the elements of the updated version. The stick would still be cutting through the white inner border that forms the 'C' while keeping the green border closed entirely. The inner border would be thickened to match the stick's handle and the thin silver outline would be kept to make the white negative space stand out more. The skating Johnny Canuck would be the main shoulder patch with a left version on the left shoulder and the current right version on the right shoulder. The original two thick stripes with the white V's on the arm stripes would be the template and the Johnny Canuck V-head would be phased out. Block font with a green border as well as some green added to the collar would be the final touches on what would be the greatest and a timeless Vancouver Canucks sweater.

On the local station, TEAM 1040, there was a poll on Tuesday on what is one's favourite Canucks jersey. The results spoke for themselves:

What is your favorite Canucks jersey?

Flying V 6.1%

Stick in Rink 52.4%

Skate 19.5%

Salmon red alternate 7.3%

Original Orca 2.4%

Current Orca 12.2%

^^

Poll on my initial post is now the correct one. Sorry!

On the local station, TEAM 1040, there was a poll on Tuesday on what is one's favourite Canucks jersey. The results spoke for themselves:

Flying V 6.1%

Stick in Rink 52.4%

Skate 19.5%

Original Orca 2.4%

Current Orca 12.2%

^^

The Flying V jerseys weren't that bad. People who say it was the worst jerseys in NHL have no idea how bad the 90's was.

Flying V 6.1%

Stick in Rink 52.4%

Skate 19.5%

Original Orca 2.4%

Current Orca 12.2%

^^

The Flying V jerseys weren't that bad. People who say it was the worst jerseys in NHL have no idea how bad the 90's was.

oh yeah they are. Ever wear one in public? I've never gotten comments like I did when I wore the black one. People who had never bothered to comment on my jerseys suddenly pop in with "is that a voodoo priest outfit?" or "did Bryan Boytano wear that?" and so on.

And beyond all else, it actually messes with your vision, any time you look down, you see the bright yellow V and, being that it's an arrow, your instinct is to follow it.

They're heinous. The photos don't do it justice, really.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

And beyond all else, it actually messes with your vision, any time you look down, you see the bright yellow V and, being that it's an arrow, your instinct is to follow it.

:lol:

Plus, I doubt Morgo is actually a Canucks fan, living in a city where you're probably dead of you're found with Canucks gear

Damn... I was so hoping I'd fool you. But seriously I've worn my Canucks jersey all over Calgary and the worst thing I encountered was trash talking. Calgarians are, for the most part, great hockey fans.

Yes. The rest of their logos are that bad. None of them give any clue as to what a Canuck is, nor do they represent the city all that well (the orca's design is the closest that comes). At least that awkward V gives a city name, and a letter in a certain style is certainly recognizable.

moreso than the plate of spaghetti, no matter what color its in.

Canuck is a slang term for "Canadian" and nothing is more canadian than hockey. In that context I would say a hockey stick and ice rink forming a "C" works quite well. Certainly no worse than the Canadiens logo, which gets universal praise in spite of being nothing more than two letters joined together.

As for the colours, I wouldn't worry about the blue and green brand disappearing. That's the club's true original look. As much as I loved the black, orangey red, and yellow, I was so happy when the Canucks re-introduced the original colours during the Orca Bay era. The club should have never ever abandoned the Vancouver look in the first place. I am, however, open to changing the shade of blue and I can even live with a touch of silver accents. I love the royal blue but what are your thoughts on navy blue? Not the Chicago Bears dark blue that the Orca Bay uniforms had but more like the shade of navy the Sabres currently use. It would make the kelly green pop out even more.

Agreed. Ditching the Blue & Green was the biggest mistake they ever made. I love the silver accents on the current identity but think they should be restrained to the logos to keep the striping classic. As for Navy replacing Royal Blue, I think it's a bad idea. There is simply no reason for the Canucks to resort to the tired 90's trend of darkening everything (no need for the Sabres to do it either).

Archived