2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

Icethetics retweeted these early logos used by the Sens during their expansion franchise application:

Buia3GECEAAeOay.jpg

Thank god they weren't used because these are awful. The one with all the colour varieties looks like a 6, and the one that actually looks like an S uses a Peace Tower drawing that looks more like a tall crown.

Looks like a "b s" to me. Appropriate for something coming out of Parliament Hill.

Likely posted many places but here's a couple articles on the pre-Ottawa Senators logo used on merchandise/jerseys before the Senators started. Not the Citizen article Webhamster was looking for in it but it does show some black and white photos of those jerseys:

http://ventsenator.narod.ru/OldScoresNewGoals/6/TheReturnOfTheSenators.htm

and a Hockey News article here:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/category/ottawa-senators/

ott_sens_promo_large.jpg

What they wore was much better than these awful Oilers ripoff...

This looks like a pee wee hockey team's jersey.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering how awful the bid jerseys and these new secondary marks are, it's a miracle their identity turned out as well as it did. They absolutely nailed it on their first try and everything since has been a downgrade. Excluding the minor adjustments to the logo and the addition of white to the black jersey.

ott_sens_promo_large.jpg

That crest was an official secondary logo from 1992-1993 through 1996-1997:

OttawaSenators_WMK1a_1993-1997_SCC_SRGB.

OttawaSenators_WMK2a_1993-1997_SCC_SRGB.

Notice how the flag has a Leafs maple leaf, and not the George Stanley one.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Apart from their jersey template, the Ottawa Senators I feel have a nice look going on. I don't see what the massive problem is. They're not miles away, just a few adjustments. I do wish they'd go back to the 2D Sen, but the 3D sen looks alright to me too.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Here's the black version of those jerseys:

Taleof2CitiesFrankFinnigan.jpg

OttawaSenatorsBringBackTheSenatorsPoster

I'd also like to note that I don't hate the S logo with the peace tower going through it. It's actually kinda neat, but then again I've never been that big of a fan of the Roman theme to begin with.

thecatch.jpg

Apart from their jersey template, the Ottawa Senators I feel have a nice look going on. I don't see what the massive problem is. They're not miles away, just a few adjustments. I do wish they'd go back to the 2D Sen, but the 3D sen looks alright to me too.

I agree 100%. Simplify the striping to something similar to the inaugural set, '2D Senator' on the shoulder and they're one of the best looking teams in the league. 2 simple fixes, the real question is why won't they do it.

I agree 100%. Simplify the striping to something similar to the inaugural set, '2D Senator' on the shoulder and they're one of the best looking teams in the league. 2 simple fixes, the real question is why won't they do it.

The thing I like about the Senators is their unique, solid identity. The problem is that they don't fully embrace it as well as they should. Right now they use the Senators moniker somewhat reluctantly, as if they want to be something else but they're stuck with it. They slap this Senator logo on a plain jersey and add some Copperplate numerals on the back to give the impression that they're the Senators, but it really doesn't feel like they're that into it.

I could be way off, but that's my feeling and it counts for something.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

The thing I like about the Senators is their unique, solid identity. The problem is that they don't fully embrace it as well as they should. Right now they use the Senators moniker somewhat reluctantly, as if they want to be something else but they're stuck with it. They slap this Senator logo on a plain jersey and add some Copperplate numerals on the back to give the impression that they're the Senators, but it really doesn't feel like they're that into it.

I could be way off, but that's my feeling and it counts for something.

I think they adopt the identity fairly well - don't know if you've ever been to a game at Scotiabank Place (ugh, sorry, the "Canadian Tire Center" now, though that just sounds like some factory outlet) - but when I would visit Ottawa (from New Brunswick) once or twice a year for games, they usually always had good video intros, including a great one at the home opener last year that had a great roman theme, with cool ancient rome imagery and illustrations of battles and stuff from the time period, mixed in with photos and footage of games... it was really impressive, wish I could find a video of it somewhere, but nothing...

That, and some hardcore fans dress up as centurions...

WEB-JDeeks-Sens%20Fan%20Fest-018_std.jpg

Oh, and of course, the mascot, Spartacus.. sorry, Spartacat :P

2012+NHL+Star+Game+Mascot+Portraits+KYCB

they usually always had good video intros, including a great one at the home opener last year that had a great roman theme, with cool ancient rome imagery and illustrations of battles and stuff from the time period, mixed in with photos and footage of games... it was really impressive, wish I could find a video of it somewhere, but nothing...

That, and some hardcore fans dress up as centurions...

WEB-JDeeks-Sens%20Fan%20Fest-018_std.jpg

Oh, and of course, the mascot, Spartacus.. sorry, Spartacat :P

2012+NHL+Star+Game+Mascot+Portraits+KYCB

My problem with the Roman theme is that it's so slapdash. The team name is Senators, obviously in reference to the Canadian Senate. And their original logo concepts tend to reflect that, using the Peace Tower in some form. Then they went with the Roman centurion theme because Rome also had a Senate. Which seems forced because centurions were not Senators. Some individuals held both roles, yes, but the two occupations were not joined at the hip. Those that were both were centurions in battle and Senators at home.

Then you have Spartacat, obviously an illusion to Spartacus. Except that Spartacus was a slave who rebelled against the authority the Roman Senate represented. So now you have a team named after the Canadian Senate using a Roman centurion as a logo because Rome also had a Senate and the mascot is named after a guy who fought against both Roman centurions and the Senate they served. It's a mishmash of unrelated Roman imagery.

Not to mention that the "3D" centurion logo is just awkward in its own right.

...except that it's not. The 3-D logo is clearly their best logo. The original logo was just meh, and the original jerseys were awful.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I'd prefer the never used update they gave to the original. The centurion in profile has always been my preference to the 3D variations.

x8dxgo0eh0zensmq7icp_zps34783fc2.gif

That's my preference if they have to stick with the Roman theme. Which they probably do at this point.

I'd prefer the never used update they gave to the original. The centurion in profile has always been my preference to the 3D variations.

That's my preference if they have to stick with the Roman theme. Which they probably do at this point.

That right there is the perfect Senators logo. The roman connection may not 100% historically accurate or factual but this is sports not history class... I really don't see why it matters. Fact is the roman theme has resulted in far more interesting identity than bland as paint heritage jerseys or the original barberpoles. Don't get me wrong, the barberpole look was great for it's time but we now have a league with 30 teams, 4 of which also wear Red, White and Black. The Senators need gold to stand out and the above logo, along with the inaugural one, is a perfect example of how a mark can be original, modern and classic all at once. Red, Black, White and Gold is also a really attractive looking scheme that no other NHL team has used. Vanquishing it for Just Red, Black and White (or god forbid cream) would be a mistake IMO.

...except that it's not. The 3-D logo is clearly their best logo. The original logo was just meh, and the original jerseys were awful.

well, a the vast majority of Sens fans and a lot of other people would argue exactly the opposite...

I agree with you completely here (as well as with your earlier post). I've made it known many times on this board that I am not a fan of the whole Roman theme. Ottawa is the birthplace of the Stanley Cup and home of the NHL's first dynasty and the nickname is meant to represent the city's storied hockey history. I like the =O=, as well as the Peace Tower logo (the one with the maple leaf next to it, although the wordmark had the right idea, it just wasn't executed smoothly). If people need to have some kind of mascot then why not go with something like a Mountie or a Parliament guard. They both are closely tied to Ottawa and the government, and they both wear black and red.

If they do insist on keeping the trojan/centurion/spartan theme then the 2D logo is definitely the way to go. Nashville made the wise decision to drop their 3D logo, and I can only imagine the outcry if Chicago ever released a third jersey with a 3D Chief Blackhawk on the front. The team also needs to bring back black as the primary colour. The Blackhawks and Devils pretty much own the black helmet/pants, red jersey/socks look. There isn't a single team in the NHL that wears head to toe black with white and red stripes as a primary. It's a look that the Sens could own.

The black laurel jerseys with the 2d logo would be perfect.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived