2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

Nah. Thomas' was particularly goofy with the stiff throat protector.

And the combination of him with that helmet in a Dallas Stars jersey with Florida Panthers pads was something other-worldly.

Imago_Tim-Thomas_Dallas-Stars_UUSI.jpg

I had completely forgotten that Thomas as a Star was a thing.

The league/Stars let him wear symbols and colors of another team?
Would you rather him play without pads? It takes time to make these pads that are custom fit for the players.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All safety aside I feel the biggest reason the Hasek/ Osgood style fell out of favour, is because it simply doesn't look as cool as the modern helmet. People want what is new, and the customization options far outweigh the old style. So while there may be safety advancements(I'm not sure to what extent), I believe the man underlying reason is simply appearance.

As a life-long goalie who's been around long enough to have worn both styles, the new helmets, in addition to just looking "cooler," offer a hell of a lot better protection, weigh less, and deflect more of the blow from getting one up high in the mask. I wore the Hasek style Cooper helmet and cage in high school and whenever you took a shot dead on, it stuck with you for a minute and would stagger you if it was hard enough. You also had to wear an uncomfortable throat protector.

And the combination of him with that helmet in a Dallas Stars jersey with Florida Panthers pads was something other-worldly.

Would you rather him play without pads? It takes time to make these pads that are custom fit for the players.

Nah...there are generic white or black pads and masks that goalies can wear. It's only been done about several hundred times in the past when a goalie goes to a different team during the season.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Nah...there are generic white or black pads and masks that goalies can wear. It's only been done about several hundred times in the past when a goalie goes to a different team during the season.
Even white pads have to be custom made for pro players, they dont just go to the local hockey shop and grab a set and call it a day

All safety aside I feel the biggest reason the Hasek/ Osgood style fell out of favour, is because it simply doesn't look as cool as the modern helmet. People want what is new, and the customization options far outweigh the old style. So while there may be safety advancements(I'm not sure to what extent), I believe the man underlying reason is simply appearance.

As a life-long goalie who's been around long enough to have worn both styles, the new helmets, in addition to just looking "cooler," offer a hell of a lot better protection, weigh less, and deflect more of the blow from getting one up high in the mask. I wore the Hasek style Cooper helmet and cage in high school and whenever you took a shot dead on, it stuck with you for a minute and would stagger you if it was hard enough. You also had to wear an uncomfortable throat protector.

Thank you!

Well, going with the blue outline against the black and a silver outline against white was a terrible choice. From a distance the numbers will look like solid white on solid black. Flipping the blue and silver is so freaking obvious here.

Which is how they had it when they won it all and it looked pretty good.

382.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

Or better yet, swap the silver and white in the above scenario. Silver numbers against the blue might soften it more than the white does. From a distance, the thin blue outline kinda looks black against the brightness of the white numbers and the silver outline (largely because they stupidly picked too dark a blue to pair with black). Silver numbers might make the blue show up a little better. Plus, it eliminates the problem of the silver outline looking white from a distance.

Side note: growing up a White Sox fan in the '90s and watching the team in standard definition, I could never tell if the outline on the black jerseys was silver or white.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Well, going with the blue outline against the black and a silver outline against white was a terrible choice. From a distance the numbers will look like solid white on solid black. Flipping the blue and silver is so freaking obvious here.

I disagree. On the old black jerseys with white numbers outlined in blue and then silver it looked more like white numbers outlined in black then white from a distance. Having the silver outline against the white numbers is more subtle and adds depth to the numbers. It looks fine on the New England Patriots and looked great on the old Lightning thirds.

136299148_fullSize.jpg

When was this? You're not wrong, just using outdated information. Anything older than 10 years that was available to the public is miles away from what is available now. The pros have had superior quality for a much longer time than that. I would be very interested in seeing or hearing the make and model of what folks are claiming is superior. Hint: if you paid less than $700, it's not.

To answer another question, the new Lightning jersey will say BOLTS unfortunately. I've seen the completed art, it will be universally panned for being exceedingly bland. Unless something translates a lot better in real life than on paper it's fairly bland.

It is EXTREMELY common for a goalie to wear their old pads for a while after being traded. They break the new ones in during practice. Chris Osgood even milked it for almost a whole year, IIRC. I don't think I have ever seen an NHL goalie wear plain white or black pads as some emergency stopgap.

Since most goalies wear pads that are predominantly white, we tend not to notice it. It's the ostentatious nature of his Florida pads that makes this seem a lot more uncommon than it actually is.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I thought it was really cool that Thomas's got his pads to mirror the pants/socks design of his team (aside from the aforementioned Florida-Dallas transition period).

13302744795_9d5bbb57a1_b.jpg

Hopefully we see more goalies follow this trend. Simple and classy.

It is EXTREMELY common for a goalie to wear their old pads for a while after being traded. They break the new ones in during practice. Chris Osgood even milked it for almost a whole year, IIRC. I don't think I have ever seen an NHL goalie wear plain white or black pads as some emergency stopgap.

All this talk to Tim Thomas and his pads for Florida, but has anyone mentioned yet that the tops of the pads match the pants and the stripes match the socks?

... Nevermind, someone beat me to it as I was posting this

Did Timmy T ever wear that gear WITH Florida? I am having trouble finding pics. I have liked the idea of goalies mimicing the sock striping with their pads for quite a while.

Did Timmy T ever wear that gear WITH Florida? I am having trouble finding pics. I have liked the idea of goalies mimicing the sock striping with their pads for quite a while.

He wore a variety of pads and helmets lasts year and only wore those those pads for a very short time before being traded.

He wore a variety of pads and helmets lasts year and only wore those those pads for a very short time before being traded.

Josh Harding also did this, but the top of the pad didn't match the pants.

Wild-goalie-Josh-Harding-shelved-one-wee

Archived