Chewbacca

2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

From Newsday:

Also ahead this winter: a night on which during warm-ups players will wear a modernized version of the notorious "fisherman" logo that debuted in 1995, after which the jerseys will be auctioned off for charity.

Those jerseys already are available for purchase by fans.

Um, shouldn't the Islanders be trying to forget that logo?

"It's part of our history," Mathews said. "I saw probably five to 10 people in Brooklyn wearing that jersey. I think it's gotten a cult following."

She said younger fans seem particularly to like it, presumably because they don't remember the first time around.

I just don't see the point of wearing it for a pre-game warmup. What's the point really? Why bother at all?

Only thing I can think of is they want to produce and sell them? They go for a pretty penny on ebay but that's only because they're relatively scarce.

Now if only the Ducks did something similar with the Wild Wing jersey. ;)

I feel like I'm in a very small minority of people who LOVED the Lightning's original Cup-winning look. I used to own the black jersey when I was in high school, but sold it away years later when it didn't fit. Would buy one again in a heartbeat.

The jersey was nice but the logo was pretty bad, especially the fonts they used.

Despite the nostalgic view some take in these forums towards it, it symbolizes literally the lowest point in the franchise's history.

There have been alot of low points in that franchises history. In fact the past 20+ years have been a low point. This is a team that draws less fans than a team out in the desert and hasn't won a playoff round since I was in high school!

I'm starting to forget when the Islanders were actually a successful franchise, just like I'm starting to forget when Nicolas Cage was cool and when Kiss was a band that you could be proud to be a fan of.

Man that jersey is like the complete opposite of what they wear now

Yes. It's horrible. ;)

The original Lightning look was terrible. Dull. Unimaginative. Blah. The fact we won a Cup wearing it is the ONLY reason people hang on to the nostalgia of it.

Yes. It's horrible. ;)

The original Lightning look was terrible. Dull. Unimaginative. Blah. The fact we won a Cup wearing it is the ONLY reason people hang on to the nostalgia of it.

And the current look is what? Exciting and original? At least the inaugural identity had a unique colour scheme. The current logos are certainly no more original or attractive than their original counterparts... Only difference is they've been rendered even more impotent with the Maple Leafs colour scheme & Red Wings striping.

Yes. It's horrible. ;)

And the current look is what? Exciting and original? At least the inaugural identity had a unique colour scheme. The current logos are certainly no more original or attractive than their original counterparts... Only difference is they've been rendered even more impotent with the Maple Leafs colour scheme & Red Wings striping.

Say what you will about the new uni's, their logo update is miles better .

No, it isn't

The best thing about the Lightning identity I miss are the armpit stripes.

So do all of us. I'm surprised though how much people love the victory stripes, considering they're located in the same area as every other 'pit stain', and that they're equally invisible. Me I like them because of what they represent, but mostly because of how they give Tampa an element unique to them, and to them alone. Or used to.

No, it isn't

I don't understand how a logo with 2 ugly 90's fonts is an upgrade over the current simplified logo. I know you don't like it. But if the monochrome was changed to a duotone, meaning addition of black, would that give it new life?

The best thing about the Lightning identity I miss are the armpit stripes.

So do all of us. I'm surprised though how much people love the victory stripes, considering they're located in the same area as every other 'pit stain', and that they're equally invisible. Me I like them because of what they represent, but mostly because of how they give Tampa an element unique to them, and to them alone. Or used to.

No, it isn't

I don't understand how a logo with 2 ugly 90's fonts is an upgrade over the current simplified logo. I know you don't like it. But if the monochrome was changed to a duotone, meaning addition of black, would that give it new life?

If the current logo had black and silver incorporated in a way similar to the inaugural and 07 logos, it would not only be an upgrade from the inaugural crest but a good logo on its own right. The Bolt and circle aren't poorly rendered. Its just when you spend 15 plus years as a black, blue & silver team and then manage to win a cup in those colours, you don't throw away your entire identity to play Maple Leafs dress up. Simplifying the 2007 jerseys and making blue the main colour were good moves but they clearly threw the baby out with the bathwater.

One time I heard a guy mix his metaphors and say not to throw the baby out with the dishwater. I should have reported him to Child Protective Services. Or at least English Protective Services.

Championship banner patch for the Kings tonight. Not surprising.

One time I heard a guy mix his metaphors and say not to throw the baby out with the dishwater. I should have reported him to Child Protective Services. Or at least English Protective Services.

It probably makes more sense to wash a baby in the sink, really. B)

The Lightning in black with an update to the drop shadow bolt is all I ask.

You could argue that the current set looks good too I suppose but that argument could be made for just about any team who decided to go duotone. It's basically playing it safe.

It probably makes more sense to wash a baby in the sink, really. B)

If you're washing dishes in something where can "throw out" the water, it probably already looks like the baby bathtubs that are all the rage these days.

Cool-Baby-Bathtub-Design.jpg

The Sens had an event at City Hall earlier today, and strangely enough Mayor Jim Watson and team president Cyril Leeder were both wearing the Heritage Classic jerseys that have been supposedly retired.

http://t.co/r50JN0mVdN

Hopefully that means that they may make an appearance on the ice again at some point.

TBL_ThirdJersey_Alt_zps03fcb76c.jpg 20110910_Stamkos%20Third%20Jersey-28_sli

This is better IMO it's still not great by any means, but at least it has better balance.

So now the home and away jerseys look like the Maple Leafs, and the alternate jerseys look like the Kings. Way to be original, Tampa. Watching Florida vs. Tampa Bay on TV right now, the Lightning really need more black in their home jersey rather than just that alternate. Also, Florida needs gold to line the border between the white front/red shoulders.

In fact...Florida should use the new St. Louis template:

10616138_747092992015224_387897964475673

Something I thought of that would be appropriate for the Lightning (which I made into a concept here: http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/100707-tampa-bay-lightning-concept/ *shameless plug*): What if they wore more silver, but not just any silver, but the reflective silver that the new Tampa Bay Buccaneers uniforms use? When shined under a spotlight, it could certainly pop.

I see some people have issues with people wearing random jerseys or caps to games. What's the big deal? If you buy a jersey, who says you can't do this or that to it? That's the person's call. If you go to a hockey game in say, London, England and you decide to throw on your Blackhawks jersey, what's the big deal? Why does it bother people? I'm pretty sure that there are bigger issues in today's world to be bothered by than the odd person who wears a Leafs jersey at a Stars vs. Lightning game in Dallas, or a guy wearing a Flames jersey to a game where they aren't even playing for that matter.

There are also bigger issues in today's world to be bothered by than people discussing a sports uniform related topic on a message board dedicated to sports branding.

Whats your point?

I should have worded this better. Obviously this is the point of this entire site but my point is that complaining over what someone wears to a game is stupid. Big deal, some random guy shows up to a Stars and Lightning game wearing a Leafs jersey or some guy shows up to a game wearing a Flames jersey and they aren't even playing. People can wear what they want. I read that Jersey Foul thing and they are saying that a person can't slap RICHARD on the back of an old Habs jersey with a 9 on it because in Richard's era, they didn't have names on the back of their jerseys or because Marc-Andre Fleury didn't wear the late 70's Navy Blue jersey that someone can't have Fluery put on the back of their jersey. Really? Come on, that's a little much don't you think?

I think everybody here understands people are ALLOWED to wear whatever jersey to a hockey game. Just like we're allowed to poke fun at people who do. Nobody is saying they should be refused admittance or something. You're right, it isn't a big deal, so untwist your panties

You don't have to be nasty about it.

The Lightning went with a flat monochrome logo I think just to go with the current times...

tampa-bay-lightning.jpg

Twitter-Logo.jpgYouTube-New-Logo.png099336-myspace-logo.png