2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

Bear with me when I explain this, because it's a little weird...

but you know what the biggest problem with tampa's primary logo is?

they wanted to be another one of the 1-color teams like toronto and detroit... but what makes their logo different is that the toronto ad detroit logos are NOT 1-color.... technically, they're 2-color. no matter what color background you put their logo on, it has two colors. red and white, or blue and white. even on a black background or a green background, they'd be 2-colors.

Tampa over simplified and has a 1-color logo. You put it on a black background and you have to decide "do we want it to be blue on black, and completely devoid of white? or do we want it to be white on black, and be completely devoid of blue?"

it seems a simple enough fix... but i feel it really hurts the lightning's brand as it stands.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TBL_ThirdJersey_Alt_zps03fcb76c.jpg 20110910_Stamkos%20Third%20Jersey-28_sli

This is better IMO it's still not great by any means, but at least it has better balance.

So now the home and away jerseys look like the Maple Leafs, and the alternate jerseys look like the Kings. Way to be original, Tampa. Watching Florida vs. Tampa Bay on TV right now, the Lightning really need more black in their home jersey rather than just that alternate. Also, Florida needs gold to line the border between the white front/red shoulders.

In fact...Florida should use the new St. Louis template:

10616138_747092992015224_387897964475673

This is the CCSLC in a nutshell.

Paraphrasing, "I hate the Tampa Bay Lightning, they look like the Maple Leafs. Florida should look like the new St. Louis Blues uniforms."

I understand the color issue, but I can't help but laugh at the double standard. I feel people are hating on Tampa Bay just because they think everyone else is. Yes, the Lightning have had some pretty poor uniforms, but their current is fine and a normal hockey sweater. They're out of the crappy edge template, we should be happy, but instead most of you bicker about them looking similar to great looking teams (Toronto/Detroit) but lets not forget Dallas looks very similar to other teams too (Chicago/New York), but gets praised?!? Just sayin' they're far worse teams to look into.

Oh please they're completely lifeless, they LITERALLY wear one team's color scheme and another team's striping. Their logo is outright clipart, nothing original about it, and an awkward 3D effect to boot. I'm not huge on Dallas' new uniforms, but they have a completely unique logo and color scheme that no other NHL team wears. HUGE difference.

Phillies, Bears, and new NYFC fan.

I think the Lightning logo is a good start actually, but I think the bolt blends into the circle too much. A little shading, an outline, something! I was dead serious when I said I liked the Lightning logo on the Stars' scoreboard better than the real thing.

By0yvveIYAAJ2Lk.jpg

I don't think you can say that Minnesota uses green as just an accent. They have a green alt and their pants are green. That's a few steps ahead of the trim that Vancouver uses.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

TBL_ThirdJersey_Alt_zps03fcb76c.jpg 20110910_Stamkos%20Third%20Jersey-28_sli

This is better IMO it's still not great by any means, but at least it has better balance.

So now the home and away jerseys look like the Maple Leafs, and the alternate jerseys look like the Kings. Way to be original, Tampa. Watching Florida vs. Tampa Bay on TV right now, the Lightning really need more black in their home jersey rather than just that alternate. Also, Florida needs gold to line the border between the white front/red shoulders.

Paraphrasing, "I hate the Tampa Bay Lightning, they look like the Maple Leafs. Florida should look like the new St. Louis Blues uniforms."

I understand the color issue, but I can't help but laugh at the double standard. I feel people are hating on Tampa Bay just because they think everyone else is. Yes, the Lightning have had some pretty poor uniforms, but their current is fine and a normal hockey sweater. They're out of the crappy edge template, we should be happy, but instead most of you bicker about them looking similar to great looking teams (Toronto/Detroit) but lets not forget Dallas looks very similar to other teams too (Chicago/New York), but gets praised?!? Just sayin' they're far worse teams to look into.

Personally, I really dislike the Stars' uniforms for the same reason I dislike the Lightning's and Hurricanes' uniforms - they are blatantly derivative of more historic teams in the same league. Changing the colors isn't enough to make the same striping patterns that other teams use original. It really should not be that hard for teams to come up with their own unique designs instead of trying to trade on the goodwill and brand equity of the Original 6.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

agree 100%

Personally, I really dislike the Stars' uniforms for the same reason I dislike the Lightning's and Hurricanes' uniforms - they are blatantly derivative of more historic teams in the same league. Changing the colors isn't enough to make the same striping patterns that other teams use original. It really should not be that hard for teams to come up with their own unique designs instead of trying to trade on the goodwill and brand equity of the Original 6.

While this is true, the northstars/stars franchise has a history of traditional uniforms that could also be called derivative so they get a pass from me. That being said, as good as the silver looks with victory green and black, I am really starting to miss the gold.

as good as the silver looks with victory green and black, I am really starting to miss the gold.

I'm quite confident they'll be releasing throwbacks relatively soon.

While I'm sure throwbacks will come eventually, I wouldn't expect them too soon. During the offseason Jim Lites (Stars President) made it pretty clear that they intend to let the new uniforms really establish themselves as Dallas' colors. He made it seem like it might be 2 or 3 years before we see any hint of a third.

But if they end up in a Winter Classic or Stadium Series, that could push up the plans for a throwback/third.

i expect the stars to be pretty plain-jane on the uniforms and keep them as-is for a while. as far as the lack of gold goes, it's totally fine with me now. the green and black just feels right and normal already. gold isn't needed. i don't dislike the gold, but it isn't missed by the majority of the fanbase. the green/black/silver seems more modern and still traditional to me.

i expect the first throwback we get will be in 2017 for the 50th anniversary of the second-six. i'm hoping that dallas, pittsburgh, philly, st. louis, and los angeles all bust out some throwbacks that year, just like the original 6 teams did in 1991/1992.

And yet you still grace us with your presence.

I wouldn't want the Panthers to go to the Blues' template, and I'm not sure you can point to ONE poster who suggested they do and assume it's indicative of a majority opinion here.

For the sake of argument though? He suggested the Panthers use the Blues' template in their own colour scheme. The Lightning, on the other hand, use the Maple Leafs' colour scheme. It's a distinction you can't gloss over if you're going to partake in this discussion.

I understand the color issue, but I can't help but laugh at the double standard.

What double standard, exactly?

Yes, the Lightning have had some pretty poor uniforms, but their current is fine and a normal hockey sweater. They're out of the crappy edge template, we should be happy, but instead most of you bicker about them looking similar to great looking teams (Toronto/Detroit) but lets not forget Dallas looks very similar to other teams too (Chicago/New York), but gets praised?!? Just sayin' they're far worse teams to look into.

Ah, this one. No, there's no double standard. Tampa Bay uses the Red Wings' template and the Maple Leafs' colour scheme. Dallas has a traditional template that is similar to some other teams, but their unique colour scheme sets them apart. I don't see how a double standard is in play. At all. It's very logical. Tampa uses the Maple Leafs colours and people have an issue with it. Dallas uses their own unique colour scheme and people are fine.

You're trying to create a false equivalency.

Oh please they're completely lifeless, they LITERALLY wear one team's color scheme and another team's striping. Their logo is outright clipart, nothing original about it, and an awkward 3D effect to boot. I'm not huge on Dallas' new uniforms, but they have a completely unique logo and color scheme that no other NHL team wears. HUGE difference.

I'm not defending the Lightning uniforms in that they are 100% perfect, they have some flaws. Lets take the logo first, best logo they've ever had, I think most people would agree with me. The first design HAD a terrible 3d effect to it on a 2d logo, mixed with a wispy and bold typeface. Their edge logo was better but still flawed as it seems like the 'Tampa Bay' was a last minute addition, which I believe was the case. Lastly their current design, one color, simplified, and slight perspective look, not the best but for the Lightning it is.

You're argument for the Dallas logo is moot. I agree with you that it is very unique for Dallas, as they finally have a logo designed for the Dallas Stars and not the North Stars. But take away the bevel or Yzermanize the logo and you have something just as similar as Tampa Bay; just a star and a 'D' or 'clipart-ish' in terms for the simlified Tampa Bay logo. You can even see it in the jumbotron photos, the over saturation of white of the LEDs make the bevels disappear. It's rather plain in comparison, yet on the flip side, Tampa Bay looks very nice with a silver bevel on the logo. You can take away or add whatever you want from the logos, but in the end both are going for different artistic style. Citing minimalism as clipart is misunderstanding of design, plain and simple (pun insisted).

As for artistic style, both Dallas and Tampa Bay are playing "Original 6" dress-up as the CCSLC has put it recently. Yes, you can argue that Dallas wears a color scheme that no other team wears, and you'd be correct. Very few teams wear green prominently, Dallas, Minnesota, and Vancouver uses it as an accent. Blue, in addition to red, are the most used color scheme in any league. The Lightning deciding to go prominently blue has been very debatable, as such, yet when their original colors where so poorly used, the blue and the black are visually too close together that they looked muddy. I'm not sure how well Tampa Bay would have been received if they were to choose black over blue, we probably will never know, but actually having color does help visually. I'm sure someone will ask, "What about LA? They're a black team." And you would be right, but they also use silver, much like how Tampa Bay uses black as an accent color albeit more so in comparison to Tampa Bay.

I'm not saying Tampa Bay is the best looking team, but they are much better than previous iterations of themselves. Do they look like other teams? Yes. Do other teams look like other teams? Yes. Will this copying of other teams colors and styles continue? Yes. Look at the 80's a good portion of the league used a similar 3-stripe design! This bickering about Tampa Bay needs to stop, there are far worse looking teams, Colorado and Calgary come to mind. I'd much rather see them change than the Lightning.

Nobody is going to mistake Dallas for another team. However whenever I see Tampa Bay in highlights I always, always think they're the Maple Leafs at first glance. It's an absolute joke. And my point about Dallas is not moot, I don't like their logo at all but a star and the letter D fused together is something original, a Lightning bolt in a circle is completely stock. There's nothing visual distinctive about it, heck just put some extra detail or an outline around it and I won't call it clip art anymore,

The Lightning simply have a vast, barren waste land of an identity history. Every logo they've had is horrible. Their original logo was even worse than their current as it was an awkward mismatch of element from a 90's paint program. The middle one was the best, but the lightning bolt still looked ugly and it wasn't a very coherent design, the script felt kinda thrown into it and it didn't flow together at all. Even the name is terrible, not plural names suck, what do you call a player on Tampa Bay? A Lightning? The alt logos have not been well designed either, it's a just a lightning bolt and the state of Florida piled one on the other without any thought, mixing together with each other.

The only slightly redeeming qualities of their identity history are their color scheme somewhat, though black bleeds too much into royal blue, and their lightning bolt pants, though it's not a very original idea as the Chargers had been doing it for decades before them.

Phillies, Bears, and new NYFC fan.

Ah, this one. No, there's no double standard. Tampa Bay uses the Red Wings' template and the Maple Leafs' colour scheme. Dallas has a traditional template that is similar to some other teams, but their unique colour scheme sets them apart. I don't see how a double standard is in play. At all. It's very logical. Tampa uses the Maple Leafs colours and people have an issue with it. Dallas uses their own unique colour scheme and people are fine.

You're trying to create a false equivalency.

Not people, some people. You can't chastise him for painting with a broad brush and then do the same. You can assume that the majority have an issue with it but you can't know that for sure.

What you can say is that the majority of people who post about it have an issue. And that's true because the same people keep posting about it over and over and over again. Yes, we :censored:ing get it. You're not changing opinions by repeating it ad nauseam. Challenge yourself to let a Lightning reference go by next time, I'm sure it will be okay.

You're not changing opinions by repeating it ad nauseam. Challenge yourself to let a Lightning reference go by next time, I'm sure it will be okay.

Didn't realize Lightning uniforms were such a hot button issue among Bruins fans in the Pacific Northwest.

To your point though, I didn't respond to GoNordiques' post because of the Lightning reference. I responded because he asserted there was a double standard that was being applied to the Stars. One I don't see, so I expressed my opinion to that end. Since this is a message board. And it's what we do here.

I also found his "the boards have a hive mind and I'm cool enough to see it/disagree with it" attitude to be annoying.

You're not changing opinions by repeating it ad nauseam. Challenge yourself to let a Lightning reference go by next time, I'm sure it will be okay.

Didn't realize Lightning uniforms were such a hot button issue among Bruins fans in the Pacific Northwest.

Lots of things to obsess over while we are inside hiding from the rain.

It's more than mildly ridiculous how someone (not you specifically) with a high post count posts something, someone else repeats it and then it becomes a CCSLC meme, whether true or not. Maple Wings, Phoenix parking lots, etc. And then any time something tangentially related to those memes gets mentioned, multiple rush in to repeat the meme. The boards do have a hive mind because, as you have pointed out to me before, it's inherent to human nature for people to give their opinion on everything. To take that human nature thought further, they also feel the need to be accepted. And the way to get accepted is to trot out whatever the "popular" posters are posting. No, no one is cool for either agreeing with it or showing that they vehemently disagree with it. But it's not necessary for either side to continually harp over the same thing.

There's no one that comes here that thought "Man, I thought Tampa had some nice unis but now that I've read 25 times that they look like the the Maple Leafs, I don't like them anymore." You guys see a baseball uniform thread being derailed by someone who wants pullovers for all 30 teams, I see an NHL uniform thread with people jumping over themselves to point out how two teams have the same color combination anytime the letters T-a-m-p-a are typed.

Free exchange of opinions, thoughts and concepts is a great idea and lots of great conversation has come out of that here. But the endless and mindless repetition of the same trite phrase used in this and multiple other discussions takes that great idea and turns it into a competition to say it as fast and as often as possible.

Color schemes don't necessarily need to be the primary part of creating your own brand. You can't own a color scheme, but you can own a branding. The reason I dislike Tampa's unis have nothing to do with the fact that they kinda appear similar to the Leafs with the striping of the Wings. It's the fact that they took a unique identity and they ditched it for something way too simple and lazy for the brand that they had created. Making the blue the primary color, and accenting it with the silver/grey, and black more, even while going with a traditional template, could have been amazing. I'm not very good with concept work, but they are the first team id want to experiment with.

Regarding the Stars. They look fantastic. The fact that no one in the league used kelly green as a primary was a shame. The color is gorgeous, they jerseys look great and honestly the only thing I would change would be outlining the numbers and possibly changing the stripe pattern to green/white/black/white/green or thin black/green/thin black on the white jersey. But as they are now, they are still fantastic. I would in no way call it "original 6 dress up" as they say.

The more traditional looks we get, the better. That means the arches, piping, and auto fill panels are leaving. Remember, hockey uniforms are "sweaters" and "socks". You want a nice sweater with your team crest on the front and your patches on the shoulder. I'd take a Sens barber pole over the best Nashville, Calgary, Pens (minus the third) mess any day.

Even the name is terrible, not plural names suck, what do you call a player on Tampa Bay? A Lightning?

Even though it doesn't end in "s", it is still a plural name. No one says "lightnings". For example, "Did you see that storm last night? There was so much lightning." The team is obviously pushing the Bolts nickname so you can call a Tampa Bay player a Bolt. Calling the team the Tampa Bay Lightning Bolts would've been worse.

i expect the stars to be pretty plain-jane on the uniforms and keep them as-is for a while. as far as the lack of gold goes, it's totally fine with me now. the green and black just feels right and normal already. gold isn't needed. i don't dislike the gold, but it isn't missed by the majority of the fanbase. the green/black/silver seems more modern and still traditional to me.

i expect the first throwback we get will be in 2017 for the 50th anniversary of the second-six. i'm hoping that dallas, pittsburgh, philly, st. louis, and los angeles all bust out some throwbacks that year, just like the original 6 teams did in 1991/1992.

With the Minnesota Wild in the NHL, it would be really strange to see the Stars wearing a North Stars Throwback jersey. I wonder what the Stars will do. A Stars throwback from the Mid-90's when they relocated from Minnesota would be nice to see and, it wouldn't be a bad third jersey either. Speaking of the Stars, their road jersey is awesome. I don't like the new logo but how can you not like their new road jersey. That jersey is a beaut.

And the Sharks, dammit.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

And the Sharks, dammit.

Since it'll be the NHL's 100th season, i expect almost every team (maybe not Columbus) to release throwback unis

Archived