2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

Tell me this wouldn't work great for an Islanders minor league affiliate. They keep using black alternates, so it's royal blue, orange, and black.

islandersminorleaguefisherman_zpsc4f8457

Throw a city name underneath or above "ISLANDERS" and you have a perfect minor league logo.

Nooooooo!!!!!! Too BFBS! Nobody likes the black Islanders jerseys. They're awful.

But it wouldn't be the New York Islanders...it'd be the Bridgeport Islanders or the Stockton Islanders or whomever.

Bridgeport and Stockton aren't on islands.

Well technically....

220px-North_America_satellite_orthograph

sig.png

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0E0B4F43-BAB0-41A3-BD4E-ECE087F54ED1_zps7D999476-99C5-48DA-8B19-4FE3F89D44B8_zpsC3934A79-48D9-4EF7-9A25-2EF984A0877D_zpsCF911B4B-448C-4E79-9956-65522B7B0D36_zps

I'm in the camp that prefers the Penguins in Vegas gold, however those uniforms are beautiful and are starting to sway me more towards the athletic gold side.
Pittsburgh should always be in athletic gold.

How is having pads that replicate the accompanying jersey's striping pattern in its entirety a good look? Yawn

How is having a deformed whale created to be an advertisement a good logo? Yuck

How does bringing up something completely irrelevant add to the discussion?

Of all the examples shown so far, Chicago certainly looks the best. Dallas and Florida just look barren and unoriginal. Though Florida's striping was pretty bad to begin with.

I've heard somewhere(not a reliable source but, eh) that the Panthers might change their look to go back to something like their original look nexr season, anyone heard about that ?

Already eh? You're the first person I've seen mention this rumor. That would be interesting. Their first look has so far proven to be their best look, even 21 years later. I think that they could use something entirely new. New colors, possibly a new logo, even though I think their logo is pretty decent. I wouldn't be surprised if this rumour of yours ends up being a new third jersey. We both could be wrong though.

B06v5svCEAA93zW.jpg

How is having pads that replicate the accompanying jersey's striping pattern in its entirety a good look? Yawn

Because nobody really does it, at least not that I'm aware of, and it's better than "look at my rad flames and thorns or patterns of nutsacks on my sweet airbrushed blah blah blah orange county chopper"

I know what's his name did it with Minnesota last year and Tim Thomas briefly did it with Florida and Dallas last year. I liked his especially because the top of the pads matched the pants color so it blended in even more.

Tim+Thomas+Dallas+Stars+v+Philadelphia+FTim-Thomas2.jpg

(couldn't find a picture of him wearing those pads while in a Panthers uniform, but the idea is there)

Unfortunately he didn't use a set that matched the green jersey.

tim-thomas-nhl-columbus-blue-jackets-dal

I really like this practice. I think it looks good and I'm all for team-specific matching. I hope it becomes a "thing".

Sher-Wood made pads similar to these about 4-5 years ago. In my opinion they were hideous then, and they're just as bad now. Most of the newer pad designs are terrible, and while I appreciate the simplicity of these pads, they don't do it for me at all. I was kinda shocked to see Scott Darling wear those, as he's been using an entirely different new Brian's set in practices. Tim Thomas, on the other hand...that guy could come out with newspapers taped to his legs and a catchers mitt for a trapper and it wouldn't shock me.

I couldn't find anything using keyword search, so forgive me if this has already been pointed out;

After years of trying to make us forget the FIsherman era; the Islanders are now producing merch with the Fisherman logo. Mitchell & Ness have aquired the rights to produce Fisherman logos merch too. This is one of those brandings I've been hoping would be brought back.

M&N started producing Mighty Ducks merch which have been quite popular, so we could see the same thing happen with the Fisherman logo. I'm expecting M&N to product a lot of teal-heavy merch. I'm personally hoping they produce a paintsplash snapback & some quality teal shirts and crewnecks.

http://instagram.com/p/uLfJCQkw29/?modal=true

http://instagram.com/p/uij16WlV43/?modal=true

It's no secret that it's my personal favorite sets of all time from the islanders, but I can't imagine there is a market for anything fisherman related except for people that are either contrarians or nostalgic for 1996. Personally, I thought it was a good look that was given an unfair chance.

I think Mitchell & Ness can find a home for Fisherman Islanders gear if they emphasize the teal. Sure, the logos aren't as iconic as Hornets gear or the Mighty Ducks gear that recently sold like hotcakes; but the Detroit Pistons Horse logo has a similar reputation as the Fisherman logo, yet the Pistons horse logo gear seems to be fairly popular. I also would have thought they could sell these to people from New York. I can't decide if the fact that the Islanders only wore these logos for a short period would enhance sales or detract. That said (as you pointed out), I would be purchasing Fisherman gear for mainly nostalgic purposes.

I couldn't find anything using keyword search, so forgive me if this has already been pointed out;

After years of trying to make us forget the FIsherman era; the Islanders are now producing merch with the Fisherman logo. Mitchell & Ness have aquired the rights to produce Fisherman logos merch too. This is one of those brandings I've been hoping would be brought back.

M&N started producing Mighty Ducks merch which have been quite popular, so we could see the same thing happen with the Fisherman logo. I'm expecting M&N to product a lot of teal-heavy merch. I'm personally hoping they produce a paintsplash snapback & some quality teal shirts and crewnecks.

http://instagram.com/p/uLfJCQkw29/?modal=true

http://instagram.com/p/uij16WlV43/?modal=true

It's no secret that it's my personal favorite sets of all time from the islanders, but I can't imagine there is a market for anything fisherman related except for people that are either contrarians or nostalgic for 1996. Personally, I thought it was a good look that was given an unfair chance.

I think Mitchell & Ness can find a home for Fisherman Islanders gear if they emphasize the teal. Sure, the logos aren't as iconic as Hornets gear or the Mighty Ducks gear that recently sold like hotcakes; but the Detroit Pistons Horse logo has a similar reputation as the Fisherman logo, yet the Pistons horse logo gear seems to be fairly popular. I also would have thought they could sell these to people from New York. I can't decide if the fact that the Islanders only wore these logos for a short period would enhance sales or detract. That said (as you pointed out), I would be purchasing Fisherman gear for mainly nostalgic purposes.

The Pistons horse logo was fine. The reason it was so ill-received at first was it came in a package with that putrid color scheme. Once they reverted back to red, white and blue, the horse head was fine. It actually looked pretty good. Then it dropped to alternate status with just the ball and head, no text. That was fine too. I'll take it back in a heartbeat. Much better than the lifeless logo set we have now.

sig.png

I've heard somewhere(not a reliable source but, eh) that the Panthers might change their look to go back to something like their original look nexr season, anyone heard about that ?

Already eh? You're the first person I've seen mention this rumor. That would be interesting. Their first look has so far proven to be their best look, even 21 years later. I think that they could use something entirely new. New colors, possibly a new logo, even though I think their logo is pretty decent. I wouldn't be surprised if this rumour of yours ends up being a new third jersey. We both could be wrong though.

Well, except going back to red and eliminating the pipe lines, they never really changed their look since the Edge era began, so maybe it's time for them too to make some changing

^ Instead of just changing the uniforms, they should change their name to the Florida Breakers. Get a whole new identity.

They could use this as the logo.

1z4y32g.jpg

That was a planned WHA team that never came to fruition.

Here's an important question: Why aren't more arenas called "Sportatorium"?

0E0B4F43-BAB0-41A3-BD4E-ECE087F54ED1_zps7D999476-99C5-48DA-8B19-4FE3F89D44B8_zpsC3934A79-48D9-4EF7-9A25-2EF984A0877D_zpsCF911B4B-448C-4E79-9956-65522B7B0D36_zps

You know, it's strange. Even though I know that these are the Penguins, and the logo's staring me in the face, the first thing that pops into my head when I see these is "Boston Bruins."

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

You know, it's strange. Even though I know that these are the Penguins, and the logo's staring me in the face, the first thing that pops into my head when I see these is "Boston Bruins."

Then you must have never watched the NHL before or know nothing about the history of it. This doesn't scream Boston at all...first off Boston traditionally wears yellow socks with the blacks and plain black pants throughout their whole history. The Penguins looked somewhat like that, with those colors, for a decent amount of their history, including their best years. In other words, I think that was a stupid, ignorant comment. That's like saying you saw the Devils jerseys and the fact that they are the same colors as Chicago, that it screams Chicago. You can have the same colors and completely different identities.

I think Pittsburgh uses the gold a whole lot more than Boston does. Boston is 80/20 black/gold, where with that era, Pittsburgh was 60/40 black/gold, maybe even 50/50.

That's a distinct difference, and one I think the Penguins should pursue.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Archived