2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

All this uproar about Toronto and Tampa Bay...yet no one bats an eye over the LA Kings adopting the LA Raiders colors after the Gretzky trade or reverting back to those colors by ditching purple a few years ago. Two Stanley Cups later, there's no going back now.

There's no color scheme I can think of that's sacred between sports. Nobody cares that the Kings took the Raiders' colors. The Lightning could have taken the freakin' Packers' colors and nobody would complain that they look like the Packers... it's when you look like another team in your own league/sport.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All this uproar about Toronto and Tampa Bay...yet no one bats an eye over the LA Kings adopting the LA Raiders colors after the Gretzky trade or reverting back to those colors by ditching purple a few years ago. Two Stanley Cups later, there's no going back now.

Not sure if you've noticed, but the Kings play hockey and the Raiders play football.

Does anyone agree with me in that I think Buffalo's uniforms would look much better with a lighter shade of blue?

Yes, and with roughly 100% less silver.

I keep hoping that they'll do the Islanders/Oilers redesign around the time they stop being bad. The silver is completely unnecessary. The navy is way too dark. They've been pretty awful for basically the entire run of these jerseys, and I think it will be hard to wash the stink of the complete disintegration of the team off of them.

You're arguing that the Leafs deserve the color blue because they've won 12 cups?

No. I noted that the Leafs have such a long history in blue and white that includes twelve Stanley Cups won while wearing those colours. When you have that kind of success with a colour scheme, you're going to develop a special connection that no 1993 expansion team can contrive. Whether you like it or not, when people think of the colours blue and white and hockey, they associate them with the Leafs. That tends to happen when you wear a colour scheme for the better part of a century.

When did they win the last one? How old were you when you last witnessed someone from the "blue and white" team hoisting a Stanley Cup?

Psst...your Leafs hatred is starting to show. Your point is irrelevant. Just because few people have recollections of the Leafs hoisting the Cup in those colours doesn't mean that they aren't aware of the success they've had while wearing them. It also doesn't change the fact that people have grown watching hockey for literally decades with the Leafs as the blue and white team. Again, I apologize if I don't like Tampa Bay trying to claim it as "also theirs".

The Leafs haven't been relevant for almost 50 years. They own the color blue? They're the Chicago Cubs of hockey - a lovable laughingstock at best. It's really cute that Leafs fans try to pretend that their team is still relevant. Nah, fo real though, dog - Dion Phaneuf is for sure bringing the cup back to Toronto!
Now you've gone way off track. This is completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand. I'm starting to get the notion that you simply hate the Leafs and like to pounce on whatever opportunity to have to blindly rip at them.
The best thing that ever happened to the Toronto Maple Leafs was another team coming along and confusing people. That must sting even worse when a "southern" team dressed in your "colors" wins their 2nd Stanley Cup! Keep dreaming about Stamkos, though. I'm sure he'll probably leave his stacked team to play with Dion Phaneuf. Let's Go Leafs!!!! (or Let's Go Leaf's...or Let's Go Blue and White...or whatever used to fire you up.)
Again, this is nothing more than mindless, off-topic, straw-man Leafs hate. Moving on.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I know, right? Just like nobody says anything about the expansion Penguins adopting the colors of the sky. STOP TRYING TO BE LIKE THE SKY, LATE-60s YINZERS!

I know, right? Just like nobody says anything about the expansion Penguins adopting the colors of the sky. STOP TRYING TO BE LIKE THE SKY, LATE-60s YINZERS!

Or how about when they dropped those colours for black and gold? They were totally ripping off the steelers who play in the same damn city!

Blackhawks unveiling their Winter Classic uniforms tomorrow, maybe, possibly, allegedly?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Do we know if that's real? im in phone, but the crest looks photoshopped on, and you'd think they'd do something a little more creative than a recolour of their home.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Well, if this were 1993, I'm sure some people would be upset about the Kings ditching the purple and yellow they had always worn. However, they didn't steal the Raiders colors since they play different sports. They adopted a color scheme which was still unique to hockey.

I suggest you read up on the change then because Al Davis was absolutely IRATE over the Kings switching to what he felt were "his" colors. As far as he was concerned, silver and black belonged to the Raiders, regardless of the sport.

The Blackhawks will officially unveil their Winter Classic Jersey tomorrow at 5pm. (Chicago Time) I don't think they will have another Colour vs. Colour Winter Classic this year but I could be wrong. My guess is that it will be a Cream-Coloured 50's/60's Throwback.

Well, if this were 1993, I'm sure some people would be upset about the Kings ditching the purple and yellow they had always worn. However, they didn't steal the Raiders colors since they play different sports. They adopted a color scheme which was still unique to hockey.

I suggest you read up on the change then because Al Davis was absolutely IRATE over the Kings switching to what he felt were "his" colors. As far as he was concerned, silver and black belonged to the Raiders, regardless of the sport.

And to follow this post up with another truly insane, yet only Al Davis story, about him suing the Tampa Bay Buccanneers and the Carolina Panthers for being close to the Raiders. It's true! http://www.utsandiego.com/sports/sullivan/20030420-9999_1s20sullivan.html

Didn't he also sue/threaten to sue the Lions when they added black?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

B1sJfDDCcAAEWhl.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Archived