2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course, it could be argued that the logo they used until 1999 was better than the one they've used since.

I didn't even realize that their logo changed in 1999...any pics to showcase this?

Source: http://www.dropthepucks.com/sotg/Chicago.htm

Here's a sweater from the 1998-99 season.

98-99%20Chi%20rd%20Laflamme%20frt.JPG

The Indian Head has a tan keyline around it, the little orange thing at the top of the headdress is triangular instead of square, the whole thing is pivoted a few degrees upward, and the mouth doesn't appear to be smiling.

99-00%20Chi%20hm%20Zmolek%20frt.JPG

This is from 1999-2000, which you can tell from the NHL2000 patch and from the fact that the Blackhawks had a guy named "Doug Zmolek," which has to be like the most Blackhawks-when-they-suckediest name ever short of, like, "Igor Smerdyakov," or perhaps "Bob Probert." Here, the Indian Head is the familiar "vector" version we know today, with no keyline, cleaner lines everywhere, and a Chief Black Hawk that is faintly amused by something.

All that being said, however, the Blackhawks were using the cleaned-up version of the Indian Head at center ice as early as 1995, though television graphics still used this earlier version of the Indian Head here:

chicago_blackhawks_1996_symbol.gif

which is what the chain-stitchers were trying to replicate, probably until 2000 or so.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Why is everyone mad? It is a historically accurate throwback jersey for the Winter Classic. I'm sorry that the Blackhawks look like the traditional Blackhawks. The Capitals are wearing a look they made up. For the people who are unimpressed and won't buy the jersey....cool. It's a beautiful throwback sweater and they look like the Blackhawks. It is perfect...as in it is accurate to the jersey it is trying to replicate.

Why is everyone mad? It is a historically accurate throwback jersey for the Winter Classic. I'm sorry that the Blackhawks look like the traditional Blackhawks. The Capitals are wearing a look they made up. For the people who are unimpressed and won't buy the jersey....cool. It's a beautiful throwback sweater and they look like the Blackhawks. It is perfect...as in it is accurate to the jersey it is trying to replicate.

It has their newest logo on a jersey design from 1957 and the jersey design isn't historically accurate. The Hawks have had a black cuff on their white jerseys since 1955 and this one doesn't. Ya, I'll give you that it is pretty close to accurate but at least use a retro logo. This just looks like a cheap, knock-off version of their current road set.

It has their newest logo on a jersey design from 1957 and the jersey design isn't historically accurate. The Hawks have had a black cuff on their white jerseys since 1955 and this one doesn't. Ya, I'll give you that it is pretty close to accurate but at least use a retro logo. This just looks like a cheap, knock-off version of their current road set.

Actually the cuff is accurate. The only thing that is not accurate would be the updated logo.

So the only differences are the laceups, old logo on the sleeves, and the numbers. What's the point?

You know I was going to write the exact same thing until I saw your post. Casual Blackhawks fans (or casual hockey fans period) probably won't even know the difference between these and the regular road uniforms.

The Catch of the Day!

Actually the cuff is accurate. The only thing that is not accurate would be the updated logo.

Let me know where you believe the cuff is accurate from.

This is from NHLUniforms.com

Blackhawks21.png

The one that doesn't have the cuff black is an artists rendering on one of those jersey evolution paintings.

Blackhawks21.png

The one that doesn't have the cuff black is an artists rendering on one of those jersey evolution paintings.

I can't post a photo but if you look up the 1955 or 1956 Blackhawks...you get some with the cuff some without. The one thing I am going to say that if it did have the cuff, it was so small back then that it was completely covered by everyone's gloves. So from that time period, if the cuff was there....it wasn't even a visible part of the uniform.

Blackhawks21.png

I can't post a photo but if you look up the 1955 or 1956 Blackhawks...you get some with the cuff some without. The one thing I am going to say that if it did have the cuff, it was so small back then that it was completely covered by everyone's gloves. So from that time period, if the cuff was there....it wasn't even a visible part of the uniform.

56-57ChiBH.jpg

Ya I have found some with, some that appear to be without. This team photo suggests the cuff was there but my apologies. Still doesn't change my distaste for the jersey.

They'll still sell a ton because they're the Hawks but they really should have went with a retro logo instead of slapping the newest age logo on a jersey design that is almost 60 years old.

Blackhawks21.png

56-57ChiBH.jpg

Ya I have found some with, some that appear to be without. This team photo suggests the cuff was there but my apologies. Still doesn't change my distaste for the jersey.

They'll still sell a ton because they're the Hawks but they really should have went with a retro logo instead of slapping the newest age logo on a jersey design that is almost 60 years old.

I kinda like the fact that maybe whoever produced this new version of the jersey couldn't tell if the black cuff was there or not based on the pictures, but realized that the gloves covered it regardless, and knowing gloves don't exactly fit over the arms like they did in the 50s...left them off for a more authentic feel or because they couldn't 100% sure tell if it did or didn't have the cuff. But I'm pretty sure that's just my fantasy.

The fix for this is so simple, too. Just make the middle stripe black, and you have a beautiful new jersey.

jV6snoY.jpg

Now that is something. I'd buy one of those in heartbeat

Kudos to the Hawks for not trotting out some gaudy fauxback mess because it would sell more. This organization gets branding.

And kudos to them for not resorting to the tired "vintage white" crutch

Blackhawks21.png

56-57ChiBH.jpg

I kinda like the fact that maybe whoever produced this new version of the jersey couldn't tell if the black cuff was there or not based on the pictures, but realized that the gloves covered it regardless, and knowing gloves don't exactly fit over the arms like they did in the 50s...left them off for a more authentic feel or because they couldn't 100% sure tell if it did or didn't have the cuff. But I'm pretty sure that's just my fantasy.

BTW I don't see the cuff in that team photo. Those are the ends of the gloves on the bottom of the arms....

It's a lot like the Bears' current throwback really. Just an inferior version of something they already wear.

That being said the straight black stripes would have been more interesting.

The Bears current throwback is so close to perfection for me, just thin up the numbers a bit and it would be a great replacement for their current uniforms which I feel are good but a little over-rated.

Archived