2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

Of course, it could be argued that the logo they used until 1999 was better than the one they've used since.

I didn't even realize that their logo changed in 1999...any pics to showcase this?
Source: http://www.dropthepucks.com/sotg/Chicago.htm

Here's a sweater from the 1998-99 season.

98-99%20Chi%20rd%20Laflamme%20frt.JPG

The Indian Head has a tan keyline around it, the little orange thing at the top of the headdress is triangular instead of square, the whole thing is pivoted a few degrees upward, and the mouth doesn't appear to be smiling.

99-00%20Chi%20hm%20Zmolek%20frt.JPG

This is from 1999-2000, which you can tell from the NHL2000 patch and from the fact that the Blackhawks had a guy named "Doug Zmolek," which has to be like the most Blackhawks-when-they-suckediest name ever short of, like, "Igor Smerdyakov," or perhaps "Bob Probert." Here, the Indian Head is the familiar "vector" version we know today, with no keyline, cleaner lines everywhere, and a Chief Black Hawk that is faintly amused by something.

All that being said, however, the Blackhawks were using the cleaned-up version of the Indian Head at center ice as early as 1995, though television graphics still used this earlier version of the Indian Head here:

chicago_blackhawks_1996_symbol.gif

which is what the chain-stitchers were trying to replicate, probably until 2000 or so.

Now, to the bigger mystery: When did the inferior, sans-serif "C" first appear, and why in the hell is it still in widespread use?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2a1wNVQ.jpg

For the one to two or three games that they will use this jersey, you can't go wrong. It's a decent jersey. The Blackhawks wanted a 50's/60's Throwback and they ended up going with a 1957 Throwback Jersey. The shoulder logos on the arms and the lace-up as well as the slightly different letters and numbers are a nice touch. The only thing I don't like is that it is so similar to their road jersey. I know there are quite a few people on this site that hate cream jerseys, however, with how similar this jersey is to their road jersey, I think it would have been a lot better in Cream, even though it's quite nice in plain, good old white. I also think this would have been a perfect time to use the older Indian Head logo, but with the purpose of this jersey, I understand why they didn't. I would have liked to have seen them do something a little bit different like they did in the 09' Winter Classic but as I said before, as a Throwback Jersey, you really can't go wrong, it will be a good look for the Winter Classic.

Well, as far as the Blackhawks WC jerseys, it could be worse. It could have been like the Canadiens' Heritage Classic jersey against the Flames when the only thing that was different was how the numbers were trimmed. It's not actually a bad uniform, but there isn't a whole lot of incentive to buy one.

And the blue was a lighter shade, If I remember correctly.

5amlwx.jpg

Cuff is accurate, logo is wrong:

tre_hall02.jpg

Thank you for posting that image. Looks like there are a few jerseys I need to update, which I will do this evening. It's worth resetting that my site is by no means official. I'm sure there are a few more inaccuracies on the site, which I will address when they're discovered.

Well, as far as the Blackhawks WC jerseys, it could be worse. It could have been like the Canadiens' Heritage Classic jersey against the Flames when the only thing that was different was how the numbers were trimmed. It's not actually a bad uniform, but there isn't a whole lot of incentive to buy one.

And the blue was a lighter shade, If I remember correctly.

If they did it accurately, both the Red and Blue should have been different than current.

Would have been nice if the Hawks had gotten special dispensation not to use nameplates on the throwbacks, like the Canucks did for their 1970-71 throwbacks. The NHL probably doesn't want players going around nameless in their national showcase game, which I understand, but that in addition to the modern logo is too much inauthenticity for me (and too much similarity to the regular white sweaters).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Now, to the bigger mystery: When did the inferior, sans-serif "C" first appear, and why in the hell is it still in widespread use?

It drives me nuts. I know it goes at least as far back as 1994, when I got my first CCM replica. I got a Starter jersey a few years later and thought "Whoa, Starters messed up the C," only to realize later that, in fact, CCM had the incorrect one on it. Mind you, I didn't know the correct one because I became a fan from listening on the radio. We didn't have cable, and even if we did, we would have only been able to watch 41 games a year. Strangely enough, even though Starter got the C correct, they got the Indian logo wrong. They just used the primary without the flesh-color outline, which is correct now but was wrong then. (It's still wrong now).

Anyway, the Hawks clearly still have an official version of the non-serif C in their files, as you see plenty of new manufacturers like Majestic and Reebok using it. It's not like these manufacturers have been using a discontinued logo for a decade now and the Hawks just forgot to tell them about the new one.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The fix for this is so simple, too. Just make the middle stripe black, and you have a beautiful new jersey.

jV6snoY.jpg

Now that is something. I'd buy one of those in heartbeat

Absolutely. That adjustment does make it look really awesome!

A nod to the Old Time Blackhawks, right? Or it is somehow a coincidence?

It drives me nuts. I know it goes at least as far back as 1994, when I got my first CCM replica.

And it goes back into the late '80s at least, because I noticed it on Clark Griswold's jersey while watching "Christmas Vacation" last year.
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The fix for this is so simple, too. Just make the middle stripe black, and you have a beautiful new jersey.

jV6snoY.jpg

I disagree. When a team's been around as long as the Blackhawks have they shouldn't have to invent fauxbacks.

jV6snoY.jpg

I disagree. When a team's been around as long as the Blackhawks have they shouldn't have to invent fauxbacks.

So they should just use the current road jersey?

I don't see how you could have gotten that from what I said. They should just try to be as accurate as possible with their throwbacks. The current design, while not perfect, is a lot closer then the all black striped version.

I like to think the Winter Classic has all but ditched the accurate throwback gimmick. Throwback, faux-back, or mix it 's not like it's gonna hurt the team(s). At best they become a basis for a new set, worst, just a one off uniform. Lets be frank here, some of the old uniforms aren't that great, and a modern take isn't all that bad.

Yeah accuracy in throwbacks is such a gimmick.

Phillies, Bears, and new NYFC fan.

2a1wNVQ.jpg

I would like to see that interesting tomahawk cross C logo on the 3 stripes on that sleeve below the number enlarged and maybe shown in full view..would be interesting to see that one fully..

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

Archived