2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

All this uproar about Toronto and Tampa Bay...yet no one bats an eye over the LA Kings adopting the LA Raiders colors after the Gretzky trade or reverting back to those colors by ditching purple a few years ago. Two Stanley Cups later, there's no going back now.

To be fair, if the Raiders were an NHL team, the Kings would get the same criticism that the Lightning (and Hurricanes, for that matter) are getting. It's not the colors themselves that are drawing criticism, it's the fact that Tampa has ripped off both their color scheme AND their striping from more historic franchises in the same league. They look like a minor league affiliate, not a major league team.

But as a Kings fan, I have never liked the silver/black color scheme or the current Edge monstrosities. The Kings belong in purple and gold. Unfortunately, the only downside to the two Cups is that the bland color scheme, the Bettman piping, the pit stains, the mismatched hem striping, and the home plate crest aren't going anywhere for a long time.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was surprised to see them; I thought they'd gotten rid of them with the home/away change.

It's the white numbers that completely kill it for me.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Just because a team wins a championship doesn't mean they can't make uniform changes in the near future

No. But it rarely, rarely happens.

The Penguins changed their look to the "Robo-Penguin" while they were the two-time defending Stanley Cup champions. Yes, it rarely happens, but not rarely, rarely.

The Blues thirds look much better in the context of the 2014 set. Now that the Blues have achieved perfection with their primary uniforms, the flaws of the third can be more easily forgiven. Its a clean, traditional look that is different enough from the main set. The loss of that curvy piping on the pant shell also really helps.

yfXeNxa.jpg

The Blues thirds look much better in the context of the 2014 set. Now that the Blues have achieved perfection with their primary uniforms, the flaws of the third can be more easily forgiven. Its a clean, traditional look that is different enough from the main set. The loss of that curvy piping on the pant shell also really helps.

yfXeNxa.jpg

St. Louis looks really, really good. But I still think they're a tweak or two away from perfection.

Making the lower half of the socks navy to match with the striping of the jerseys, and the cuffs of the white jersey royal and they'd be basically perfect in my eyes

yfXeNxa.jpg

Not a fan of their alt especially that crest.

I really liked the Blues alternate when it first came out, but it's sort of worn on me now. Minimal striping, and too much white beside the dark blue (especially on the cuffs), make it seem pretty tacky to me. And yeah, the crest can just retire with that sweater.

Speaking of the blues, the NHL twitter posted these pictures side by side:

B2XURlGIEAAo6H4.jpg

A game between those two uniforms would look too amazing. Call me a sucker for a yellow road sweater.

I've been conditioned as a sports uniform aesthete to think of yellow as an alternative to white. It's taken some adjusting to get used the Predators dark jerseys being yellow.

And it's a shame too, because besides the odd apron stripes, the Preds have a really great sweater, but it always looks terrible playing against a team in white.

Back in the mid-2000s NBA, some teams had yellow alternates but had to treat them as dark jerseys, leading to lots of unsightly yellow-v-white games involving Atlanta, New Orleans, or Seattle (miss u bb). Now everyone's alternates are sleeved and camouflage or Performance Grey and no one cares what anyone wears. I'm not sure which is better.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

yfXeNxa.jpg

Not a fan of their alt especially that crest.

It's an alt. It's different. It does its job for being an alternative.

It's a great sign of progress that this went from unquestionably the Blues best sweater to their worst sweater. It did its job, and it'll probably be time to change it soon, but I have no problem with it sticking around for a bit. I'll take "meh alright" over "oh good god no!" any day.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I really liked the Blues alternate when it first came out, but it's sort of worn on me now. Minimal striping, and too much white beside the dark blue (especially on the cuffs), make it seem pretty tacky to me. And yeah, the crest can just retire with that sweater.

Speaking of the blues, the NHL twitter posted these pictures side by side:

B2XURlGIEAAo6H4.jpg

A game between those two uniforms would look too amazing. Call me a sucker for a yellow road sweater.

Eh I don't know, mustard yellow?

Archived