2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just make it like soccer and have color on color (or colour on colour) when there is sufficient contrast. Who still has a b&w tv?

We don't need to make anything like soccer. It has its own traditions which are fine for that sport, but people need to stop suggesting this crap and THEY SHOULD RELEGATE BAD TEAMS TO A DIFFERENT LEAGUE!1! Yes, we have HDTVs. It still looks like an amateur rec league game when one team's wearing red and the other black. Furthermore, soccer blows.

What a great argument.

I'm just gonna go out on a limb and say the original Wings/Leafs games were Red vs. Blue. I'm actually pretty sure the league started with color v color until enough color schemes were similar enough to need a difference for. When playing on a white surface, color v color tends to look pretty good.

No worse an argument than "there's another sport which does this, so we should, too." And yes, in the 1930's teams only had one jersey. But it's not the '1930s, hockey aesthetics have been established, and teams can afford to purchase more than one set of jerseys. It doesn't matter if you can tell the difference between red and blue. It makes for a much more visually appealing game when there is contrast between a white and dark jersey. And that doesn't even mention the idea behind having a "home" jersey. If you're the home team, you wear your colors. If you're on the road, you don't get to wear your colors.

Or everyone wears their colors...unless it clashes...which you'd have the white jersey for. You'd be able to plan accordingly on the road, it wouldn't be that difficult. That's not the case though and sorry it's too soccerish of an idea for you.

Here is a full-bodied Johnny Canuck on a jersey. New Canucks fashion jersey to be sold. I don't mind this jersey at all, albeit the crest is small and sits a little high.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/636079

Here is a full-bodied Johnny Canuck on a jersey. New Canucks fashion jersey to be sold. I don't mind this jersey at all, albeit the crest is small and sits a little high.

That's interesting.

I've never seen a Reebok fashion jersey with tagging like that. It's almost replica-like.

Don't like the green and blue touching in the striping, though. Plus the collar needs some blue.

Larger logo also.

I love the jerseys. However, I agree. The logo should be larger. The fact that there is no blue in the collar is a reflection of not having green on the Orca and Stick 'n Rink jersey collars.

I do feel that the Orca will eventually be on the way out and things like having only one colour in the collar(sorry for the way that sounded) and the weak font will be addressed. I also prefer the skating JC on a blue jersey. The Stick 'n Rink would look good on green.

White at home means the fans can see white vs orange, white vs red, white vs black, white vs blue, WHITE vs YELLOW...you get the idea.

The Rangers in blue means the fans can see blue vs white...every single game.

While white should be the home colour, yellow should also be used in the same manner as white. The Predators, for example, should wear navy blue as their primary dark colour and their yellows should be their light colour with a yellow helmet. The NBA Lakers do not wear their yellows on the road against a team wearing white.

That's interesting.

I've never seen a Reebok fashion jersey with tagging like that. It's almost replica-like.

Don't like the green and blue touching in the striping, though. Plus the collar needs some blue.

Larger logo also.

I saw it in person, it is just a replica jersey. Which is very odd. The NHL does not have any other "fashion" jersey's with the replica tag on the bottom (that I know of)

The person at the Canucks store said the team was testing to see if it sells.

Not totally surprising knowing Linden said he was looking into another logo/jersey change

Or everyone wears their colors...unless it clashes...which you'd have the white jersey for. You'd be able to plan accordingly on the road, it wouldn't be that difficult. That's not the case though and sorry it's too soccerish of an idea for you.

It's not that it's a "soccerish" idea, it's that it's a terrible idea in general, which people keep throwing out largely because soccer does it. There are a lot of things soccer does which work for it, but shouldn't be used in other sports. League relegation is dumb and wouldn't work with American professional leagues. Ads on jerseys are awful, but sadly we're on the brink of that here. Players wearing randomly colored neon shoes which clash with their teams' uniforms is dumb. And it might be established for soccer than all teams wear colored jerseys, but it looks wholly unprofessional for NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL teams to do so because it's far outside of the established aesthetics for each league and sport.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Here's a picture of that "fashion jersey" mentioned above.

zSN904x.jpg

Looks a LOT like a concept I posted a couple years ago. Interesting. I like it ovbiously haha

cancuksjerseyfianl.png

Your concept jersey is infinitely superior to that fashion jersey. In fact, that thing looks like a cheap Chinese knock-off.

Seeing Johnny Canuck on the jersey on its own, I feel, doesn't work. Something is missing for me and I know as much as people do not like the arched "VANCOUVER" on their current jerseys, I think replacing the orca with Johnny and keeping the wordmark would work... As for the green jersey itself, not a fan. I think that the blue gets lost in the green a bit. I think if you reversed the white and green stripes, it may work a bit better. Thats my two cents on the jersey.

It's not that it's a "soccerish" idea, it's that it's a terrible idea in general, which people keep throwing out largely because soccer does it. There are a lot of things soccer does which work for it, but shouldn't be used in other sports. League relegation is dumb and wouldn't work with American professional leagues. Ads on jerseys are awful, but sadly we're on the brink of that here. Players wearing randomly colored neon shoes which clash with their teams' uniforms is dumb. And it might be established for soccer than all teams wear colored jerseys, but it looks wholly unprofessional for NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL teams to do so because it's far outside of the established aesthetics for each league and sport.

The bright white surface allows color-v-color to work in some cases, but it's a very narrow scope of colors that work. Remember that this is a league where most teams just wear red, black, blue, or some combination thereof. The number of viable color-v-color matchups actually ends up being rather small for teams that aren't the Stars or Flyers.

Leafs-Wings in blue and red looked great at the Winter Classic, which was funny, because both teams look so much better in their respective whites.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

And don't forget goalies having different colored jerseys from the rest of the team. Believe it or not, back in the late 1990's that was discussed. Thank God cooler heads prevailed.

The Catch of the Day!

Didn't they try it at one of the North America Versus The World games? See, the thing about hockey is that you can tell that the guy in the mask and giant pads is a goalie. The only thing you could take from soccer that would be worse would be making monkey noises at black players.

That was attempted in preseason last year!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The bright white surface allows color-v-color to work in some cases, but it's a very narrow scope of colors that work. Remember that this is a league where most teams just wear red, black, blue, or some combination thereof. The number of viable color-v-color matchups actually ends up being rather small for teams that aren't the Stars or Flyers.

Leafs-Wings in blue and red looked great at the Winter Classic, which was funny, because both teams look so much better in their respective whites.

I would like to see the ice given a slightly bluish hue, as you've suggested.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

NHL95_lead.jpg

IEI5Tg1.png

Here's a picture of that "fashion jersey" mentioned above.

zSN904x.jpg

Looks hastily thrown together... They just reversed the blue and green of the current third and replaced the logo. Some blue on the collar would help immensely as would getting rid of the green stripes between the blue and white.

I agree with Morgo's points, and I also believe that a blue shoulder yoke outlined in white would prevent the jersey from being too green. The logo needs something as well. Either a roundel or the Millionaire's block V (sans VANCOUVER script) behind it. While most of the board seems to dislike roundels immensely, I think a thin one (closer to CBJ's cannon logo than MIN's home logo) would add some structure to JC. Besides, over the past few years we've seen a lot of teams ditch their roundel jerseys (Pittsburgh, Chicago, Florida).

Make the logo larger, and put the stick-in-rink on the shoulders instead.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

NHL95_lead.jpg

Not nearly that blue. Just like, you know, ice blue.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

NHL95_lead.jpg

I think the ice color looks great in that photo but the Hartford Whalers logo at center ice seems a little off to me.

$_35.JPG

Make the logo larger, and put the stick-in-rink on the shoulders instead.

Or, rather, put the stick-in-rink in the trash where it belongs.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived