2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

The bright white surface allows color-v-color to work in some cases, but it's a very narrow scope of colors that work. Remember that this is a league where most teams just wear red, black, blue, or some combination thereof. The number of viable color-v-color matchups actually ends up being rather small for teams that aren't the Stars or Flyers.

Leafs-Wings in blue and red looked great at the Winter Classic, which was funny, because both teams look so much better in their respective whites.

I would like to see the ice given a slightly bluish hue, as you've suggested.

NHL95_lead.jpg

Not nearly that blue. Just like, you know, ice blue.

They actually tested that out in Buffalo, under the league's direction, during the 04-05 lockout. The Amerks played a game on it. I guess it didn't really go anywhere. The blue lines can't be blue because the ice is blue so they're neon orange but the red lines can be blue. The NHL in a nutshell.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/2005-03-15-blue-ice_x.htm

buffalo-3-20-05-blue--large-msg-11113826

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel that the green Johnny Canuck jersey has the basics down perfectly. That doesn't mean that improvements cannot be made. I don't agree with the idea of having a blue shoulder yoke. In my book, a hockey jersey can never be too green. It's just that everyone in this day and age are so used to seeing blue, red, and black jerseys until the Dallas Stars' rebrand last season. Every time I watch Stars highlights from their home games, I just can't help but fall more and more in love with those jerseys.

As for roundels, I agree that a thin one could work. However, I would try to be a little more distinctive and 'Canuck-like' by using the rink element from the Stick 'n Rink as a backdrop for Johnny Canuck. Johnny's body would overlap the rink and not be trapped inside.

The striping needs improvement for sure. I would try the original striping from the '70-'72 away blue jerseys but with the blue and green reversed.

Many say that this is a cheap Chinese knockoff. Well, that's what the current primary and thirds look like. Whatever the Canucks do in regards to a primary logo change, there will be corrections made in regards to striping, colours on the collar, and the font. Royal blue should still be the Canucks' primary dark colour with JC and the S&R could then be moved to a Kelly green alternate.

That fashion jersey just illustrates everything I dislike about the idea of the skating JC as a main logo. The irregular shape of the figure just cries out for some kind of symmetrical shape to encase it.

I think the lumberjack logo ship has sailed, and the Vancouver Giants executed that idea in a much more polished way.

How is this for an ideal shade of blue?

vwWwVqe.jpg

It's not too distracting, I don't think, and it would allow white sweaters to leap off the picture just a little more. Also, you know what should come back? Light blue kickplates for the two Quebec teams. It made them feel even more Other.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

That fashion jersey just illustrates everything I dislike about the idea of the skating JC as a main logo. The irregular shape of the figure just cries out for some kind of symmetrical shape to encase it.

I think the lumberjack logo ship has sailed, and the Vancouver Giants executed that idea in a much more polished way.

I think that the "V" from the Millionaires, sans inner lettering, would look good with the "skating Johnny Canuck" in front of it. Just my two cents.

59ea7286cd78e_NewAvsSig.png.5747971588ea035fdc4dbcf3bf43f77a.png

The ice is white for a reason. Being that ice has become whiter over time, I would have to say being able to pick the puck up on a white surface would be much easier than blue.

We already have blue lines and they better stay that way....along with a light blue crease. I remember when one of our rinks experimented with yellow creases and that idea didn't last more then one season. (Because they put the ice in once a year otherwise I would assume it would have been sooner.)

The ice is white for a reason. Being that ice has become whiter over time, I would have to say being able to pick the puck up on a white surface would be much easier than blue.

We already have blue lines and they better stay that way....along with a light blue crease. I remember when one of our rinks experimented with yellow creases and that idea didn't last more then one season. (Because they put the ice in once a year otherwise I would assume it would have been sooner.)

It wouldn't have to be dramatic, but a white ice sheet that is 5% more blue, would look better, still allow the puck to be seen, and the white jerseys would really show up. Plus it would look like more natural ice. The experiment in Buffalo during the 04-05 lockout (I hate that I need to specify which lockout) was too blue.

The ice in Lake Placid was bluish on TV and it looked good except the splotchiness.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Bright white backgrounds are HORRIBLE for television cameras. It's part of why hockey translates to TV among the worst of the major sports, and why you need really expensive cameras to do even decent photography in a rink. Adding just a bit of blue would help that a lot.

Not a necessity, just something that would improve television coverage.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I think that the "V" from the Millionaires, sans inner lettering, would look good with the "skating Johnny Canuck" in front of it. Just my two cents.

I agree. I would still use blue as the primary colour with the Stick 'n Rink on the shoulders. However, I would love to see the Canucks actually wear kelly green as an alternate. Blue helmet and pants with a green sweater and socks would be a look the Canucks would own.

That Canucks sweater is proof of why Johnny Canuck should never be featured on a sweater. It's far too detailed, awkwardly-shaped, and cartoony.

For the first time in their history, Vancouver has a great colour scheme with a serviceable logo. While still flawed, they have the basis of a good identity. The absolute last thing they need is to start experimenting with new looks.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

9xft5e6hg85yq5m3j81s.gif

Would have been a good shoulder logo.

mo4s55icd2yfae5f644c.png

If this didn't have the rounded corners, it'd be a really good primary.

EDIT:

S7Orckg.jpg

Hmm. Something doesn't feel right. Still better than the leftover orca.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

That Canucks sweater is proof of why Johnny Canuck should never be featured on a sweater. It's far too detailed, awkwardly-shaped, and cartoony.

For the first time in their history, Vancouver has a great colour scheme with a serviceable logo. While still flawed, they have the basis of a good identity. The absolute last thing they need is to start experimenting with new looks.

A hockey crest is the perfect place for a detailed logo. It's a big enough space for all the detail to come out. The full-bodied Johnny Canuck isn't any more detailed than the Wings, Panthers, Blue Jackets, Blackhawks, Avalanche, Predators, Penguins or Sharks crests.

Archived