2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

Yea the logo is the only thing that ruins their new unis. It's awful.

I don't know why they couldn't just re-color the old one.

From what i've heard here, the new owner despises it.

And from looking at nhluniforms.com, the first year the owner had full control, he dropped the jersey with the primary logo, leaving the Dallas script jersey as the primary and only home/away until he could rebrand

Interesting... I had not heard that story before.

The more baffling question however, is why the script was even approved in the first place, especially since the ST^RS logo always looked best on a black jersey. Frankly, any iteration of that logo is a much better option than that lazy script.

As for the current logo, it's even better. Its a got a "Big D," a star, and wasn't originally designed for Minnesota, what more do you need? Speaking of which, notice how the ST^RS logo is slanted with an arrow (The A) pointing "North." That was done on purpose.

I do miss the gold however, especially since it was an integral part of the teams identity dating back to 1967. As good as the silver looks, it will never look quite right. Some of the concepts that incorporate athletic gold look spectacular. Even the ones that kept silver in the scheme.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/new-york-islanders-to-don-inaugural-season-threads-for-final-game-at-nassau-coliseum/

The New York Islanders have already brought back the Fisherman jerseys, and, according to the team, the uniforms from the teams inaugural season will be worn for the Isles final home game at Nassau Coliseum...

So they'll wear their current home jerseys with orange numbers instead of white ones.

no nameplates either.

And from looking at nhluniforms.com, the first year the owner had full control, he dropped the jersey with the primary logo, leaving the Dallas script jersey as the primary and only home/away until he could rebrand

I thought I read they couldn't find a way to make green and gold/the old logo work/look good with the new jersey design. Although maybe you're and that was just said to appease Dallas fans who didn't want the only logo they've ever had changed.

I thought I read they couldn't find a way to make green and gold/the old logo work/look good with the new jersey design. Although maybe you're and that was just said to appease Dallas fans who didn't want the only logo they've ever had changed.

It has been said before that the main reason they dropped gold was the disparity between golds in differing pieces of merchandise.

I owned a hat that had the old logo on it with a "metallic" gold that can only be described as a dirty bronze, especially compared to the crest on the authentic uniform I have with its shimmery gold embroidery.

The team dropped gold because with silver, you either get metallic silver or flat grey.

No room for error when they license to third parties.

5amlwx.jpg

It has been said before that the main reason they dropped gold was the disparity between golds in differing pieces of merchandise.

I owned a hat that had the old logo on it with a "metallic" gold that can only be described as a dirty bronze, especially compared to the crest on the authentic uniform I have with its shimmery gold embroidery.

The team dropped gold because with silver, you either get metallic silver or flat grey.

Yeah but the Stars weren't the only team in pro sports wearing metallic gold. Other teams have no problem using it. Ottawa's used gold pretty well since 1992. The Stars could have worked gold in there somewhere. A little gold trim on those new unis would be incredible.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Yeah but the Stars weren't the only team in pro sports wearing metallic gold. Other teams have no problem using it. Ottawa's used gold pretty well since 1992. The Stars could have worked gold in there somewhere. A little gold trim on those new unis would be incredible.

The Stars aren't the Ottawa Senators.

The team wanted uniformity in all facets of their brand, including merchandise.

This is why they dropped the gold in favor of silver.

..cue the "BUT, OTHER TEAMS USE IT" response ad nauseam.

5amlwx.jpg

There are two Pantone swatches for each metallic colour. A flat version and a metallic version; regardless of whether it's silver or gold. I don't buy that excuse. While the silver certainly works, it feels like a leftover from an ill advised idea to use Dallas Cowboys colours.

The Stars aren't the Ottawa Senators.

The team wanted uniformity in all facets of their brand, including merchandise.

This is why they dropped the gold in favor of silver.

..cue the "BUT, OTHER TEAMS USE IT" response ad nauseam.

Gray and metallic silver aren't uniform. No matter how much you defend it. If they wanted true unifomity, they wouldn't have included a metallic at all. They would just be green, black, and white.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On an unrelated note, why is San Jose going with white at home tonight??

According to Chris Creamer, it is because when the Kings wear their Stadium Series Jersey in April against the Sharks, San Jose will be wearing their black alternate jersey. About the Dallas Stars, compared to what it replaced, their new uniforms are tough to hate. I completely agree about the logo. I feel that it doesn't fit into the traditional look that the Stars have finally gone back to. Their road jersey is outstanding, even though I wish the font was standard block and had black trim around the numbers. As for their home jersey, it deserves major props because thanks to the Stars, we finally have an NHL team that wears a light green jersey. I much prefer Kelly Green over this new Victory Green but I can definitely live with it for the time being. I do miss the gold/yellow/urine/athletic gold/the fourth colour pixel in a Sharp Aquos television though I understand why the Stars got rid of it.

Does anyone know if the Chicago Blackhawks or the Washington Capitals will end up wearing their Winter Classic Jerseys again this season? I see that the Red Wings and Blackhawks yet again are playing in Stadium Series games next season. I hope they don't go for the futuristic looks the Stadium Series has now become known for.

Does anyone know if the Chicago Blackhawks or the Washington Capitals will end up wearing their Winter Classic Jerseys again this season? I see that the Red Wings and Blackhawks yet again are playing in Stadium Series games next season. I hope they don't go for the futuristic looks the Stadium Series has now become known for.

Detroit? This will be their first Stadium series game. They've done the Winter Classic twice, so 3 games out of 8 years for a marquee market isn't a lot. Meanwhile Chicago has done 2 Winter Classics and will have done 2 Stadiums come next year, so 4 out of 8, but 3 consecutive seasons. So I see where you can be confused.

I misworded this. 3 outdoor games in eight years is still a hell of a lot more than most teams in the NHL at the moment unfortunately. When I said yet again, I only meant Chicago. I know that Detroit has never played a Stadium Series game before. Hopefully their Stadium Series Jerseys will turn out alright.

attn: [mod edit: "other members who disagree with me"]

If the Blackhawks, Bruins, and Penguins hadn't become so wildly popular, there probably wouldn't have been a proliferation of outdoor games, so instead of your precious Perds being snubbed for the Stadium Series, there just wouldn't be a Stadium Series at all.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

attn: [mod edit: "other members who disagree with me"]

If the Blackhawks, Bruins, and Penguins hadn't become so wildly popular, there probably wouldn't have been a proliferation of outdoor games, so instead of your precious Perds being snubbed for the Stadium Series, there just wouldn't be a Stadium Series at all.

Very true but I still think they could have more variety. Can't wait to see what the Avalanche and Wild do with their uniforms

As much as I'd love to see the Blues play Chicago, Detroit, or Nashville at Busch Stadium in the winter classic/stadium series - I'd equally LOVE to see a Pro Beach Hockey style game between the '93 expansion teams; Florida Panthers and Anaheim (Mighty) Ducks. It would work at either location but I'd assume Marlins Park would be chosen due to it being the most modern. Roller hockey at it's finest! This would be awesome!!

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

As much as I'd love to see the Blues play Chicago, Detroit, or Nashville at Busch Stadium in the winter classic/stadium series - I'd equally LOVE to see a Pro Beach Hockey style game between the '93 expansion teams; Florida Panthers and Anaheim (Mighty) Ducks. It would work at either location but I'd assume Marlins Park would be chosen due to it being the most modern. Roller hockey at it's finest! This would be awesome!!

If there's a team in the NHL that should be next in line for an Outdoor Game, it is the St. Louis Blues and I have a feeling that their day is coming soon. I'd love to see a Stadium Series game in Florida as well. As a Canucks fan, I think Roberto Luongo was completely shafted by the Canucks for the Heritage Classic which was a damn shame. I hope the Panthers get to take part in an Outdoor Game for that reason and the idea of an Outdoor Hockey game in Florida sounds really, really cool. After last year's Stadium Series game in California, I think it would be a success.

Archived