2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember when Vincent Damphousse went to San Jose. He talked about how much he loved the environment over playing in Montreal. Not just the fact it wasn't dark and cold in January, but the fact that he wasn't harassed by the media. He even gushed how he could go food shopping and not be bothered by fans.

NBA players get the reputation of not caring about winning enough and yet I can't think of a guy offhand who gushed about how nice it was not to be bothered at a f-cking grocery store.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I remember when Vincent Damphousse went to San Jose. He talked about how much he loved the environment over playing in Montreal. Not just the fact it wasn't dark and cold in January, but the fact that he wasn't harassed by the media. He even gushed how he could go food shopping and not be bothered by fans.

NBA players get the reputation of not caring about winning enough and yet I can't think of a guy offhand who gushed about how nice it was not to be bothered at a f-cking grocery store.

LeBron James must be an exception to this assumption.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

There's a lot more for people to talk about in Boston/New York and other American cities to distract from what is happening in the NHL. One day, it could be about the Rangers, the next it could be about the Knicks, etc. So, there's some relief. In any Canadian city, there's basically hockey and hockey only during the season. Yes, while Toronto has the Raptors, they are still somewhat "second class" compared to the Leafs. So, I can definitely see why somebody, especially with young kids, might not want to play in a Canadian city, especially if they are in a pretty good place at the moment. If you are Steven Stamkos, would you leave Tampa for Toronto knowing that you'll get paid either way? I wouldn't.

When four of the projected top-ten picks (Crouse, Strome, McDavid, and Marner) have waxed poetic to the media about how much they'd love to be drafted by the Leafs, despite all being 17/18 and having only early childhood memories of good Toronto teams, I think the "ermagad anywhere but Toronto" thing is a shade overblown. Hell, I remember Stamkos and Seguin both talking about how they'd like to come over here as well.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

When four of the projected top-ten picks (Crouse, Strome, McDavid, and Marner) have waxed poetic to the media about how much they'd love to be drafted by the Leafs, despite all being 17/18 and having only early childhood memories of good Toronto teams, I think the "ermagad anywhere but Toronto" thing is a shade overblown. Hell, I remember Stamkos and Seguin both talking about how they'd like to come over here as well.

At this point, they are all just probably happy to just get drafted and play in the NHL. None of them have experienced the madhouse that is Toronto and until they do, they might not be so upbeat about playing in Toronto. I would say if they were drafted by the Leafs (same with other Canadian teams), they would be more likely to stick around long term depending on how the team is. But, as a top end free agent who might have multiple teams wanting you, Toronto might not be on the top of the list. Look at Rick Nash when he wanted out. He's from Ontario so I'll assume he was a Leafs' fan growing up. But, it was basically anywhere but a Canadian team, including the Leafs. So, I'm not so sure it's entirely overblown as you think.

ESPN actually took a poll of players and it basically said anywhere but Canada. http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Cole+players+prefer+Anywhere+Canada/10824297/story.html

ALso things to consider, Montréal is a french city, not too attractive for monolingual English speakers.

Not nearly to the same extent as the problems (such as those cited by Lindros as reasons why he didn't want to play there) that plagued Quebec City back in the day.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

What Canadian superstar has scurried off to play in Texas or Florida?

Jason Spezza, who most recently demanded a trade to a non-Canadian team, tons of glory-days Dallas Stars guys.

A better question: who was the last star Canadian to sign with Toronto or Montreal, the league's flagship franchises? Do all these guys grow up on the ponds dreaming to be Washington Capitals, or are they just afraid to be held to championship standards?

Why do Canadians prefer to play in the states?

See: Phaneuf, Dion

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

Jason Spezza, who most recently demanded a trade to a non-Canadian team, tons of glory-days Dallas Stars guys.

A better question: who was the last star Canadian to sign with Toronto or Montreal, the league's flagship franchises? Do all these guys grow up on the ponds dreaming to be Washington Capitals, or are they just afraid to be held to championship standards?

And: Luongo, Roberto

And: Luongo, Roberto

I think Lu would have stayed if management had just committed to him. His move to Florida was as much being disrespected by being sat and being demoted as being closer to his family's home.

The last straw was the classic he badly wanted to start in and got sat the last moment for Lack.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

Clearly you and I differ in our opinions on Jason Spezza (or what's left of him). But IIRC he asked out of Ottawa because he didnt want to go through a rebuild in the twilight of his career. They wouldnt have traded in Division to Montreal or Toronto anyway, and coming into the season the four Western Canadian franchises weren't looking really promising either.

And exactly what "championship standards" do you have in Toronto and Montreal? The Leafs are 48 years and counting, and the Habs are at 22. So even if this phenomenon you claim actually exists, it's not a new one.

And yet American baseball players don't run screaming from the Yankees and Red Sox.

Because those franchises have a recent standard of winning.

ESPN actually took a poll of players and it basically said anywhere but Canada. http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Cole+players+prefer+Anywhere+Canada/10824297/story.html

Then they can play anywhere but our league. Go to Switzerland, there's a 0% chance you'll ever have to live in Deepest Darkest Canada, you spoiled brats.

And exactly what "championship standards" do you have in Toronto and Montreal? The Leafs are 48 years and counting, and the Habs are at 22. So even if this phenomenon you claim actually exists, it's not a new one.

First off Islanders fans shouldn't be the first to point out Cup droughts. You're right up there ;)

As for your main point, yeah there are droughts in Toronto and Montreal. And they're not going to end if the supposedly patriotically minded best players in the world run screaming each time the oppertunity to play for them arises. So I'm not seeing much of a point here. Sorry.

Personally? I think we Canadians played a hand in our own demise. We stopped expecting excellence. The "good Canadian boy" hockey culture shields the very talented from having to live up to expectations. So why play for the Habs or Leafs where fans expect you to play well when you can scurry off to Carolina where no one cares and you can just sort of play hockey and show up to practice in sandals and cargo shorts?

Personally? I think we Canadians played a hand in our own demise. We stopped expecting excellence. The "good Canadian boy" hockey culture shields the very talented from having to live up to expectations. So why play for the Habs or Leafs where fans expect you to play well when you can scurry off to Carolina where no one cares and you can just sort of play hockey and show up to practice in sandals and cargo shorts?

Exactly. It's another part of this toxic hockey culture. Keep your head down, don't try to do too much, don't draw any attention to yourself, you're not better than anyone else. Except in sports, lots of players are better than everyone else. Just by being in the NHL in the first place, you're already the best player your junior team has had in years or ever had at all. To say "I signed with the Maple Leafs because I want to bring the Stanley Cup to Toronto where it belongs" would bring Don Cherry to the worst of cross-purposes: what a good Ontario boy, but who the hell does he think he is to say that he's going to win the Cup?

It's a perversion of Canadian politeness. It used to be that we expected excellence from the very talented, but also (perhaps smugly) took pride in how they didn't brag about their excellence. Somehow that got perverted into "shy away from excellence because that in and of itself means you're full of yourself."

It first hit home when Don Cherry came down on the Canadian women's team for winning like 8-1 or something against one of the scrub teams in IIHF women's hockey. He was ranting about how it "wasn't Canadian to win by that much." Pardon me Don? It's not Canadian to be as good as you possibly can be?

It has a lot in common with Minnesota Nice, further underscoring my point that there are more commonalities between Canada and the northern U.S. than there are between the north and the south, helping to make the USA-Canada "rivalry" rather hollow (that and the fact that players on Team Canada WON'T RESIDE THERE).

The Nine Nations of North America theory is spot-on in a lot of ways.

As for the US-Canada rivalry? I like it in a fun sort of way, like a sibling rivalry. When people treat it like the second coming of the US-USSR rivalry though? It's just stupid. Federal republican democracy vs parliamentary democracy isn't exactly democracy vs communism.

The Canucks will be wearing their Millionaires uniforms again on March 26th to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Millionaires' Stanley Cup win. Interesting thing is that they are calling the colours maroon and silver. The first time I've heard that before. Eddie Lack's pads are a reverse of what he had last year.

11055946_1821801738044454_2026123409_n.j

The Canucks will be wearing their Millionaires uniforms again on March 26th to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Millionaires' Stanley Cup win. Interesting thing is that they are calling the colours maroon and silver. The first time I've heard that before. Eddie Lack's pads are a reverse of what he had last year.

11055946_1821801738044454_2026123409_n.j

I find that odd that they would say Maroon and Silver when it's Maroon and Beige/Tan/Cream/Vintage White/You know what I mean. I must say, I'm glad they are wearing them again. Also, speaking of Throwbacks, the Devils are wearing their red and green jersey for St. Patrick's Day and Calgary is wearing their Throwback on Thursday Night against the Flyers. Am I the only one who thinks that the Flames and Devils Throwbacks are better than their main jerseys? I get why the Devils are in red and black and their main jerseys are tough to hate and pretty good in my opinion but I love the Throwback Jersey and I love the colors.

The Devils' throwbacks are better than their currents, if only because what they've worn for the past 23 years is so devoid of character and charm, which actually makes them a perfect fit for the New Jersey Devils. If they brought back the throwbacks full-time with a dark green helmet, it'd be near-perfect.

The Flames' throwback is better than what they currently wear, because what they currently wear is canned ass. It's a middling uniform on its own merits at best.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived