2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's just so much orange on the blue jerseys, though. The white jerseys look good, but the blue jerseys look very dated.

I'd lose the orange on the sleeve cuffs below the sleeve stripes, and I'd reverse the numbers to white with an offset orange outline. Those orange numbers are the biggest problem for me

Oilers_zps4hndpdok.png

Actually in person the Kings uniform looks great. I would prefer black pants, but they do look good in person. It does prove my point that white jerseys should return for home jerseys as the Sharks look so much better in darks on the road.

Your avatar is far better than that pajama suit.

Flames should wear their retros at home

I couldn't agree more but they won't. I wish they would have at least used their third jersey as their home jersey for the Playoffs. Speaking of that jersey, I recently noticed that the stripes on the arms don't go all the way around the jersey. For whatever stupid reason, they are cutoff. Besides that, that jersey is much better than their home jersey, except for the wordmark, that could be better.

Also, it's pretty funny that the year when the Sharks announce that they will be wearing teal instead of black during the playoffs is the first time in ten years that they miss said playoffs.

I got quite the laugh out of that myself. lol

Caps wearing their retro alts as their road jersey and its a great thing. Especially up against the Isles homes. Nice.

The games in Uniondale are beautiful matchups right now. I will miss that white throwback the Capitals have been wearing for the past few years. Their Winter Classic jersey isn't terrible but in my opinion, the white throwback is way nicer. I hope that they are about to start wearing their red throwback as their new alternate. If not, I'm not going to lie, I will be a bit disappointed. In a perfect world, I'd want the Capitals back in their original look with a blue alternate that uses the Weagle and has the Winter Classic logo on the shoulders.

I'm thankful the Wild are wearing their green alternates at home. At least they have some semblance of consistency with the roads.

Same here. I heard that they were going to make the green jersey the home jersey going forward and so far, I haven't seen a damn thing happen. They could easily be the only fulltime dark green team and they prefer to wear red most of the time like a lot of the teams in the NHL.

I'm thankful the Wild are wearing their green alternates at home. At least they have some semblance of consistency with the roads.

When you think about it, the green jersey actually has nothing in common with the whites. Different logo, different yoke, no shoulder patch, single colored numbers, even the sleeve and waist stripes are thicker than the white jersey strips. The red jersey at least has the same logo (somewhat) and dual colored numbers, so they technically have more in common with the road jersey.

When you think about it, the green jersey actually has nothing in common with the whites. Different logo, different yoke, no shoulder patch, single colored numbers, even the sleeve and waist stripes are thicker than the white jersey strips. The red jersey at least has the same logo (somewhat) and dual colored numbers, so they technically have more in common with the road jersey.

The roundel is not the same logo as the standalone bear head and it never will be. To have a logo that perfect only to constrain it to one of the most overused, design elements in sports, on your home jersey, is a shame.

The roundel is not the same logo as the standalone bear head and it never will be. To have a logo that perfect only to constrain it to one of the most overused, design elements in sports, on your home jersey, is a shame.

But it is the same logo as the shoulder patch on the whites.

The Wild name is unusual, but Northern Lights isn't any better. Yes, I laughed when they came out with the name. It still might seem weird, but, without a shadow of a doubt, the Wild logo is one of the best in sports. Is the name offensive to a certain group? Nope. So, why change it? I just don't get why people want them to abandon not only a name, but a brand that they have spent the past 15 years building up. It makes no sense whatsoever. At least, you didn't suggest Dallas should change their name so Minnesota could become the North Stars 2.0.

The thing about Minnesota's uniform history is that I can say that you really can't say a whole lot bad about them. Sure, it would be nice if the home/away matched. Yes, I can nitpick about how I rather have the logo on the green jersey or how the red needs the hem stripe back and probably should be back to being an alternate. But, overall, all 3 jerseys are pretty nice.

They could have went with North Stars. It's not the exact name as Dallas' team, so I think as long as you change a letter or a word, you're safe from copyright issues. The history can stay where it is.

The Wild name is unusual, but Northern Lights isn't any better. Yes, I laughed when they came out with the name. It still might seem weird, but, without a shadow of a doubt, the Wild logo is one of the best in sports. Is the name offensive to a certain group? Nope. So, why change it? I just don't get why people want them to abandon not only a name, but a brand that they have spent the past 15 years building up. It makes no sense whatsoever. At least, you didn't suggest Dallas should change their name so Minnesota could become the North Stars 2.0.

The thing about Minnesota's uniform history is that I can say that you really can't say a whole lot bad about them. Sure, it would be nice if the home/away matched. Yes, I can nitpick about how I rather have the logo on the green jersey or how the red needs the hem stripe back and probably should be back to being an alternate. But, overall, all 3 jerseys are pretty nice.

It seems that you and I are going to have to agree to disagree. The only thing that we can agree on is that Minnesota DOES have a very creative logo. However, I do have bad news for you. Having Dallas change their name so Minnesota could be the North Stars 2.0 would be the right thing to do, though I do love the Stars' D-Star logo. Exactly like the New Orleans Hornets/Pelicans-Charlotte Bobcats/Hornets situation. Even the SuperSonics name and history is being reserved for the NBA's future return to Seattle. A North Stars 2.0 brand would be the hottest selling thing in hockey, maybe in sports, right now.

Most Minnesota fans I chat with hate the "Wild" name. See how that sounds?? You mentioned the word, "brand". Minnesota is just happy to have an NHL franchise, no matter what the name is, but I know that they would want something that sounds big-league. "Wild" is and always has been a bush-league name.

"Northern Lights" was the best and only good choice is the limited names available when Minnesota was awarded an expansion franchise in the late '90s. I also suggested "Moose". It was the name of Minnesota's old IHL franchise after the departure of the North Stars. It's singular plural but it's plural of the same name. It can also be designed, somewhat, like the Wild's bear/wildcat logo.

It's funny, isn't it. The Canucks have a great name but a lousy logo while Minnesota has a lousy name but a great logo.

They could have went with North Stars. It's not the exact name as Dallas' team, so I think as long as you change a letter or a word, you're safe from copyright issues. The history can stay where it is.

That really depends on who owns the North Stars name. If Dallas owns it, then Minnesota would be out of luck. However, if the NHL owns it like they did with the Jets name, then there's a chance it could work.

Of course, the NHL a would never approve such a similar name, even if copyright issues weren't a problem, just from a logistical standpoint.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Minnesota should just ditch one of the worst team names in major sports.

A couple of ideas:

Minnesota Northern Lights

Minnesota Moose

Pretty sure that "Northern Lights" actually won the "Name The Team" contest but was overruled by the NHL because it was too close to North Stars. Also at the time the Wild came into the league, weren't the Minnesota Moose an AHL team? (that later moved to Winnipeg)

Minnesota should just ditch one of the worst team names in major sports.

A couple of ideas:

Minnesota Northern Lights

Minnesota Moose

Pretty sure that "Northern Lights" actually won the "Name The Team" contest but was overruled by the NHL because it was too close to North Stars. Also at the time the Wild came into the league, weren't the Minnesota Moose an AHL team? (that later moved to Winnipeg)

I haven't heard about the NHL denying the Northern Lights name, but if it's true that's pretty stupid.

The six finalist team names for the new Minnesota franchise were: Minnesota Blue Ox, Minnesota Freeze, Minnesota Northern Lights, Minnesota Voyageurs, Minnesota White Bears and Minnesota Wild.

And yep, the Minnesota Moose moved and became the Manitoba Moose, then became the St Johns Ice Caps, and are now moving back to Winnipeg (still unnamed however).

ALykGdZ.png

If it was 2007, I would agree wholeheartedly... They had one of the greatest logos in league history, front and center, on matching jerseys with a green as their primary colour. They also had a fantastic, retro themed, alternate that used their secondary colour perfectly and accomplished what most alts can't today; standing out from your main set. The Wild are a 2000 expansion team so it made sense to have a modern (but still simple and classy) set with a retro themed alternate they could bust out every now and then.

As for the uniform history today? There's a lot bad I can say... First off, making the iron range red the primary home uniform was a huge mistake. Resulted in mismatched logos, mismatched striping and perhaps most importantly, a mismatched colour hierarchy. Are they a green team or a red team? Not to mention the fact that the previously great uniform was absolutely butchered during the conversion to Edge... You have a uniform inspired by classic hockey aesthetics, opt to remove hem stripes, and add a design element that hadn't been seen on a uniform until 2007? The new alternate has the same problem. If you want a look inspired by early 1900's hockey sweaters, fine. Don't ruin it with a phantom yoke just so RBK can show off their utterly useless and detrimental design "innovation."

Archived