2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As for the Stars/North Stars deal? The Dallas Stars actively celebrate their pre-Dallas North Stars history. They recognize that their history didn't start in Dallas in 1993. The Dallas Stars ARE the North Stars. They've also been the Dallas Stars for over twenty years now (a run that includes a Stanley Cup Championship). There's absolutely nothing right about forcing Dallas to abandon all of that history so a 2000 expansion team can pretend to be a team founded in 1967.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Why do you think they reverted back Kelly Green.

I know this is a real nitpick on my part but the Stars actually use a green called Victory Green, that is more of a blue-tinged green than Kelly Green.

What about just the Minnesota Lights? It's obviously short for "northern lights", but wouldn't interfere with anyone else's name or brand, and would be one of those "quirky' names that harkens back to the old days where team names weren't born out of focus groups, market research, and merchandising possibilities.

I always wanted phoenix/arizona to be named "the lights" after the the ufo sighting.

What about just the Minnesota Lights? It's obviously short for "northern lights", but wouldn't interfere with anyone else's name or brand, and would be one of those "quirky' names that harkens back to the old days where team names weren't born out of focus groups, market research, and merchandising possibilities.

I always wanted phoenix/arizona to be named "the lights" after the the ufo sighting.

Glad you weren't in charge of naming the team then....

Glad you weren't in charge of naming the team then....

Why I never!

Technically the name refers to wilderness, which is a thing.

No!

:(

Yes, Wild sucks as a name, but the great identity really softens the blow. If they have to change? I'd like to see them go to Minnesota Grizzlies. They wouldn't even need to change the logo.

I'd also be OK with any name change that doesn't involve losing the logo. Grizzlies could work, though it is very similar to the Bruins.

--

Sidenote: interesting to see some of you aren't seeing the bear/lion/nondescript wild animal thing until later. That was the first thing (damn it, admiral!) design element that I noticed, and then I started seeing the other details and things

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

The Wild's uniforms and logo are some of the better ones in the NHL, but it can never match the sheer splendor of the Minnesota North Stars identity, which is a shame. If only there was a way to bring back one of the top 5 looks in NHL history, I'd be a happy man.

caseymns90.jpg

thecatch.jpg

The Wild's uniforms and logo are some of the better ones in the NHL, but it can never match the sheer splendor of the Minnesota North Stars identity, which is a shame. If only there was a way to bring back one of the top 5 looks in NHL history, I'd be a happy man.

caseymns90.jpg

The Wild's entire jersey history has never even come close to this. If I had my way, the Wild would be renamed the North Stars, however, I would absolutely keep the Wild's logo as part of the identity, at least for an alternate jersey. I would put the Wild logo on the pants of this jersey if it ever happened, which it never will unfortunately.

caseymns90.jpg

The Wild's entire jersey history has never even come close to this. If I had my way, the Wild would be renamed the North Stars, however, I would absolutely keep the Wild's logo as part of the identity, at least for an alternate jersey. I would put the Wild logo on the pants of this jersey if it ever happened, which it never will unfortunately.

And thank goodness. Those two combined would make ZERO sense.

caseymns90.jpg

And thank goodness. Those two combined would make ZERO sense.

If the Lightning can have a wordmark for their third jersey and Columbus can have a roundel logo on their third jersey that's not on their main jerseys, I'm sure the Wild could pull it off too and do just fine.

caseymns90.jpg

That colour scheme is spectacular... You were so close Dallas :(

First Round Ranked Aesthetically:

1. Tampa Bay-Detroit

2. St. Louis-Minnesota

3. Nashville-Chicago

4. Islanders-Washington

5. Montreal-Ottawa

6. Vancouver-Calgary

7. Anaheim-Winnipeg

8. Rangers-Pittsburgh

(3-8 are really interchangeable. Outside of Ducks/Jets, it was traditional set vs. modern/EDGE set. Some played off their opponents better than others. Top 2 are hard and fast though.)

Second Round Ranked Aesthetically:

1. Montreal-Tampa Bay - It's basically Habs-Leafs, and that's pretty nice.

468171192_slide.jpgFLMC102-316_2015_194636_high.jpg

2. Chicago-Minnesota - Two simply designed jerseys. Nice red/green clash. The Chicago home/Minnesota road is a beauty. Minnesota third/Chicago road is decent in its own right.

468849878_slide.jpgmikko-koivu-nhl-chicago-blackhawks-minne

3. Rangers-Washington - The Rangers carry the water in this match-up. The Caps retro roads help, but those homes are still bad, especially paired against the Rangers roads. Caps wore their Winter Classic jersey in the home finale against the Rangers and that look respectable, but we're not getting that in DC.

Capitals_Rangers_Hockey-0729b-1660.jpg465917238_slide.jpg

4. Anaheim-CalGary - It's kind of funny, the templates for the jerseys are similar with the side panels and cuffs. However, CalGary's set is still hot garbage with the piping and flags and everything else. This series is also bogged down by the black/orange/red/yellow combo. Seering. Might actually look better in CalGary than Anaheim, but the Ducks whites help mostly there.

Flames%20Ducks%20Hockey-2.jpg?ve=1&tl=1jakob-silfverberg-josh-jooris-nhl-anahei

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

caseymns90.jpg

caseymns90.jpg

This would never, ever happen as long as Nashville continues its growing love for hockey but if it weren't for Nashville, the "Predators" name would be perfect for Minnesota with the current logo. Had the Predators moved to Ontario a few years back and dropped the their Nashville identity, "Predators" would have been my first choice, followed by the "Northern Lights" and then the "Moose".

Here is my biggest issue with the name "Wild". It's also an adverb and the no-intended puns drop like flies: "Wild players celebrate victory", "Minnesota fans go wild", "Wild enforcer suspended for illegal hit". Yup, I remember Tiger Williams and Gino Odjick were "wild" enforcers in their day too.

The other two singular collective names, "Avalanche" and "Lightning" can either be shortened or have a synonym. The Avalanche have been, commonly, known as the "Avs" and the Lightning have been known as the "Bolts". What are the Wild referred to as? The "Wildmen"?

Second Round Ranked Aesthetically:

1. Montreal-Tampa Bay - It's basically Habs-Leafs, and that's pretty nice.

468171192_slide.jpgFLMC102-316_2015_194636_high.jpg

Tampa looking like a generic, no-frills energy drink isn't a good look solely because it mimics the monotone look of another, completely unrelated Original Six franchise. On top of that, their look isn't even a consistent one with it's mismatched outlining, logo, etc.

This thing belongs to the Wild/Blackhawks and its not even close.

mikko-koivu-nhl-chicago-blackhawks-minne

I pretty much agree with your rankings except for one specific pairing.

This specific pairing is actually my third least favorite of the round (Both Anaheim v. Calgary pairings are 1 and 2). I hate both of these uniforms. The Wild's complete lack of red, lack of the best logo in sports, the phantom shoulder yoke, and use of vintage white is awful. To me, Chicago's road uniforms are the most overrated in the league, though I think it would be an easy fix by simply changing the numbers to red with a black outline.

Now, whether this bumps the entire matchup below Rangers-Capitals, I'm unsure of. The other pairing in this matchup is my favorite of all the possible pairings remaining.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Archived