2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

The Wild's uniforms and logo are some of the better ones in the NHL, but it can never match the sheer splendor of the Minnesota North Stars identity, which is a shame. If only there was a way to bring back one of the top 5 looks in NHL history, I'd be a happy man.

caseymns90.jpg

The Wild's entire jersey history has never even come close to this. If I had my way, the Wild would be renamed the North Stars, however, I would absolutely keep the Wild's logo as part of the identity, at least for an alternate jersey. I would put the Wild logo on the pants of this jersey if it ever happened, which it never will unfortunately.
And thank goodness. Those two combined would make ZERO sense.

If the Lightning can have a wordmark for their third jersey and Columbus can have a roundel logo on their third jersey that's not on their main jerseys, I'm sure the Wild could pull it off too and do just fine.

Riddle me on how you mix the bear head logo and the North Stars logo? That'd be like combining the Islanders and the Stars logos to your package, seperately, but intertwine them. So because the Wild have a good logo, let's bring back the North Stars and incorporate the Wild logo into it...? Am I following here?

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of playoff matchups and logos,

One West series is between two letter logos that have both been modified to fit the teams name and the other is between two left side profiles of heads.

You also have two teams in red, white and blue with lettered logos in the Rangers vs Caps series.

untitled-6.jpg

Riddle me on how you mix the bear head logo and the North Stars logo? That'd be like combining the Islanders and the Stars logos to your package, seperately, but intertwine them. So because the Wild have a good logo, let's bring back the North Stars and incorporate the Wild logo into it...? Am I following here?

I'd just bring back the North Stars if it was up to me, although it probably wouldn't be ideal to have two similarly named teams wearing similar colours. (Minnesota & Dallas)

thecatch.jpg

The Wild's uniforms and logo are some of the better ones in the NHL, but it can never match the sheer splendor of the Minnesota North Stars identity, which is a shame. If only there was a way to bring back one of the top 5 looks in NHL history, I'd be a happy man.

caseymns90.jpg

The Wild's entire jersey history has never even come close to this. If I had my way, the Wild would be renamed the North Stars, however, I would absolutely keep the Wild's logo as part of the identity, at least for an alternate jersey. I would put the Wild logo on the pants of this jersey if it ever happened, which it never will unfortunately.

If the Lightning can have a wordmark for their third jersey and Columbus can have a roundel logo on their third jersey that's not on their main jerseys, I'm sure the Wild could pull it off too and do just fine.

Yes and no. I would leave the North Star jerseys the same. I wouldn't alter them, they are way too nice to do that. What I would do is make an alternate that uses the Wild logo. RollTribe, I honestly don't get you. If the Rangers can use Lady Liberty, the Blue Jackets can use the Cannon logo on their third jersey, the Oilers can use a Futuristic Gear, the Sabres can use a Crossing Swords logo, the Stars can use the Mooterus, Boston and their yellow bear jersey, and Calgary can all of a sudden use the Flaming Horse as an alternate jersey, why can't they use the Wild logo for an alternate if they were the North Stars again?

Because the Wild logo and the North Stars are no way related and the looks wouldn't go well together because the styles are different. All the others related to the team name or city.

Lady Liberty = New York
Cannon = Civil War
Futuristic Oilers = Still an oil drop
Crossing Sabres = Self explanatory
Mooterus = Dallas and Stars
Yellow Bruin = Bruin
Flaming Horse = Calgary and Flames

Using the Wild logo as something that represents Minnesota is a stretch. If the North Stars came out today and used the Wild logo as an alternate, we would all question it.

IbjBaeE.png

caseymns90.jpg

Yes and no. I would leave the North Star jerseys the same. I wouldn't alter them, they are way too nice to do that. What I would do is make an alternate that uses the Wild logo. RollTribe, I honestly don't get you. If the Rangers can use Lady Liberty, the Blue Jackets can use the Cannon logo on their third jersey, the Oilers can use a Futuristic Gear, the Sabres can use a Crossing Swords logo, the Stars can use the Mooterus, Boston and their yellow bear jersey, and Calgary can all of a sudden use the Flaming Horse as an alternate jersey, why can't they use the Wild logo for an alternate if they were the North Stars again?

I really couldn't be much clearer. Monkeypower summed it up pretty well. It'd be like if the Avalanche started using the Nordiques logo as well.

The Wild name is unusual, but Northern Lights isn't any better. Yes, I laughed when they came out with the name. It still might seem weird, but, without a shadow of a doubt, the Wild logo is one of the best in sports. Is the name offensive to a certain group? Nope. So, why change it? I just don't get why people want them to abandon not only a name, but a brand that they have spent the past 15 years building up. It makes no sense whatsoever. At least, you didn't suggest Dallas should change their name so Minnesota could become the North Stars 2.0.

The thing about Minnesota's uniform history is that I can say that you really can't say a whole lot bad about them. Sure, it would be nice if the home/away matched. Yes, I can nitpick about how I rather have the logo on the green jersey or how the red needs the hem stripe back and probably should be back to being an alternate. But, overall, all 3 jerseys are pretty nice.

It seems that you and I are going to have to agree to disagree. The only thing that we can agree on is that Minnesota DOES have a very creative logo. However, I do have bad news for you. Having Dallas change their name so Minnesota could be the North Stars 2.0 would be the right thing to do, though I do love the Stars' D-Star logo. Exactly like the New Orleans Hornets/Pelicans-Charlotte Bobcats/Hornets situation. Even the SuperSonics name and history is being reserved for the NBA's future return to Seattle. A North Stars 2.0 brand would be the hottest selling thing in hockey, maybe in sports, right now.

No. The SuperSonics' history was put on hold for five years, and would have been returned to Seattle if they had gotten an expansion team in that time. That didn't happen. As far as the NBA is concerned the Seattle SuperSonics name and history belongs to the Oklahoma City Thunder. Even if Seattle got an expansion or relocated team now? The Thunder would have no obligation to relinquish the Sonics' name or history. Nor should they. Like it or not? The Sonics are the Thunder. It's the same team. And that Pelicans/Bobcats/Hornets fiasco? It's downright childish. We all know the Pelicans are the real Hornets, and the team dressing up as the Hornets are the same sorry Bobcats team we've known for years. Wearing teal and purple doesn't change that.

As for the Stars/North Stars deal? The Dallas Stars actively celebrate their pre-Dallas North Stars history. They recognize that their history didn't start in Dallas in 1993. The Dallas Stars ARE the North Stars. They've also been the Dallas Stars for over twenty years now (a run that includes a Stanley Cup Championship). There's absolutely nothing right about forcing Dallas to abandon all of that history so a 2000 expansion team can pretend to be a team founded in 1967.

Yes, Wild sucks as a name, but the great identity really softens the blow. If they have to change? I'd like to see them go to Minnesota Grizzlies. They wouldn't even need to change the logo.

This about sums up my feelings as a North Stars fan (except you know damn well that the NBA / Thunder would "transport the history" should Seattle ever get a team; but at least if they never do their history is not erased).

For me:

• It's too bad the team left for Dallas but Dallas was a far better hockey market. Seriously. There was no support for public funding (which is a reality we lived/live in). The arena, while nice, was getting outdated; the location sucked and nobody was going to games.
  • History: I am a staunch believer in "franchise" rather than "city" history. Thank goodness the Mets don't have both the Dodgers and Giants pre-California histories. What a mess that would be. So the mediocre history of the North Stars is attached to Dallas. Thank you NHL for actually doing something right (like MLB).
  • History II: I absolutely appreciate that the franchise acknowledges its pre-Dallas history. They kept the retired numbers and retired Neal Broten's number (he played for Dallas but his accomplishments were pretty much in Minnesota) and their Website does a good job. Honestly, I wish the Twins did a bit more of that with the Senators. They could have a retired Walter Johnson number (you know, if he'd worn a number)
  • The "New North Stars": It's too late now.
  • The "New North Stars" II: Had Dallas become the Armadillos (made up by me), and the new franchise been able to take on the name and logos, that would have been OK. But it should have been a Jets situation...it's a second franchise; an expansion franchise. Mikko Koivu, of the North Stars, would not be chasing Neal Broten's all time franchise points mark. That was already broken by Dallas Star Mike Modano. Koivu has the mark for the second edition of the North Stars.
  • The Wild: It's cliche to say around here but the name is awful and the logo (which they keep marginalizing) redeems it somewhat.
  • Changing the name now. Too late. It was a terrible choice and even the logo does not change that. But geez, pick a team name with the recognition that it should be around forever. Voyagers or Northern Lights would not have been great but would have been tolerable. It's been 15 years. Unlike the Charlotte Bobcats, the Wild are embraced (despite nothing but mediocrity). I see no sign of the name getting in the way of the fanbase's relationship with the team at all. So as awful as it is, it's been 15 years and it ought to stay.
  • If they'd taken a "Cleveland Deal" or a "Winnipeg Deal": As I've said, I think Cleveland Deals are BS. Winnipeg Deals are fine. I think I'd embrace the team a little more had they gotten one of those deals (for the name/logos, not history). The North Stars wrapped up when I was graduating high school...moving to non-NHL areas and having no NHL team zapped me of NHL interest and I've only partly recovered...I would love to see those sexy "N-Star" jerseys take the ice, and it may have helped me some. But overall, given the way the people embrace this team, the difference would have been negligible. I know that's not true in Charlotte, but it is here.
  • My wish: that somehow the North Stars had never moved.
  • My "reality based" wish: That there would have been Browns-like outrage and Dallas would have left the name/logos behind. Dallas however, would have kept the history and would still acknowledge it. The expansion team would have been called the North Stars in a "Jets" deal; the primary difference being use of identical logos/uniforms. I think that's OK. That's what I thought the Cleveland Deal was for years and I liked it (until I found out about the history swap). Admittedly I am somewhat on the fence about the name/uniforms; maybe a new identity for a new franchise was the way to go (with a better name, though). But gun to my head, I'll say I wish this was the expansion North Stars but recognized as a second franchise.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

It's too bad the team left for Dallas but Dallas was a far better hockey market. Seriously. There was no support for public funding (which is a reality we lived/live in). The arena, while nice, was getting outdated; the location sucked and nobody was going to games.

Dallas was a better hockey market? You battered housewife. It was a bad NHL market because of an NHL organization dead-set on being awful, like the Blackhawks without plans for a new building. The Stars would have been fine if they had decent marketing/management and the league hadn't been drooling over Anaheim and other points west/south. The Timberwolves screwing the Stars out of moving into the Target Center didn't help.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's too bad the team left for Dallas but Dallas was a far better hockey market. Seriously. There was no support for public funding (which is a reality we lived/live in). The arena, while nice, was getting outdated; the location sucked and nobody was going to games.

Dallas was a better hockey market? You battered housewife. It was a bad NHL market because of an NHL organization dead-set on being awful, like the Blackhawks without plans for a new building. The Stars would have been fine if they had decent marketing/management and the league hadn't been drooling over Anaheim and other points west/south. The Timberwolves screwing the Stars out of moving into the Target Center didn't help.

Put another way, they could make more money in Dallas. What else is there?

There were certain other circumstances too...Norm Green's sexual harassment kerfuffle, for one. Maybe it was not a better hockey market given the knowledge/interest of the fanbases but the move has not been a failure. A better way to put it is simply "it was the right move." And yeah, it's weird that Minnesota, of all places, did not have the NHL, but at no point were the North Stars significant. Until they got to Dallas anyway. Fans in the rest of North America did not feel that the NHL was diminished because of that move.

Regarding the Timberwolves, as far as I know, the two teams were very close to a deal to play in the Target Center. They could not come to agreement on which team would get the revenue on the advertising placed on the boards. Lame. Would that move have saved the North Stars? Who knows? People loved the Met Center, but Target Center was in a far better location. It was serviceable for the NHL (as it is for NBA) but I suspect it would currently be the worst NHL arena if still active (now that the Isles have been eliminated). Probably not sustainable. Maybe the Xcel would have still happened for the North Stars, but I suspect the Target Center moved would have delayed the inevitable.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Not buying the Met Center's location as a bad one. Twin Cities suburbia is neverending sprawl with poor public transit (though I guess it's inching along now), so it's not as if the location was prohibitive. It was next door to the Mall of America and people find a way there. I'll give you that it wasn't centralized, but you shouldn't have gone broke running hockey in the Minnesota suburbs unless you were already broke in the first place or sandbagging it so you could move to San Jose or Anaheim, which ends up pretty well describing North Stars ownership. The Stars being "insignificant" as you put it is on management. You're in one of the great advertising towns of America; if you couldn't market Minnesota hockey to your backyard and the rest of the country, you certainly had people who could have helped.

It was extremely unfortunate, glad the Wild are chugging along as well as they are with the new building and everything, but ugh, the Wild.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

mikko-koivu-nhl-chicago-blackhawks-minne

I pretty much agree with your rankings except for one specific pairing.

This specific pairing is actually my third least favorite of the round (Both Anaheim v. Calgary pairings are 1 and 2). I hate both of these uniforms. The Wild's complete lack of red, lack of the best logo in sports, the phantom shoulder yoke, and use of vintage white is awful. To me, Chicago's road uniforms are the most overrated in the league, though I think it would be an easy fix by simply changing the numbers to red with a black outline.

Now, whether this bumps the entire matchup below Rangers-Capitals, I'm unsure of. The other pairing in this matchup is my favorite of all the possible pairings remaining.

The vintage white, or wheat as the Minnesota Wild have called it, has been with the team since the first skate touched the ice. The Wild aren't on the vintage white trend, they're just using their color palette. Also there is red on that green jersey, not a lot, but it's there. So it's not 100% completely lack of red.

They jumped on the bandwagon when they started using swaths of it on their retro inspired alternates. Before, it was used in a metallic (sheen fabric) application on their striping and was minimal.

mikko-koivu-nhl-chicago-blackhawks-minne

I pretty much agree with your rankings except for one specific pairing.

This specific pairing is actually my third least favorite of the round (Both Anaheim v. Calgary pairings are 1 and 2). I hate both of these uniforms. The Wild's complete lack of red, lack of the best logo in sports, the phantom shoulder yoke, and use of vintage white is awful. To me, Chicago's road uniforms are the most overrated in the league, though I think it would be an easy fix by simply changing the numbers to red with a black outline.

Now, whether this bumps the entire matchup below Rangers-Capitals, I'm unsure of. The other pairing in this matchup is my favorite of all the possible pairings remaining.

The vintage white, or wheat as the Minnesota Wild have called it, has been with the team since the first skate touched the ice. The Wild aren't on the vintage white trend, they're just using their color palette. Also there is red on that green jersey, not a lot, but it's there. So it's not 100% completely lack of red.

Huh, I always remember it being yellow, and looking at the old jerseys now, it definitely looks more yellow to my eyes (might have to do with how it's placed next to the red). Of course, I never liked those jerseys either. And whether or not it's always been in the color scheme, I still think it looks bad. I'd prefer they go with white striping.

On the red, while you're right about it technically being there, I'm playing this card.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Unpopular opinion: I hate Minnesota's current roads and thirds.

Just out of curiosity, what don't you like about the roads? I get the dislike for the script heavy alternates... Those roads are, in my opinion, as close to the team has got to perfection.

Unpopular opinion: I hate Minnesota's current roads and thirds.

Just out of curiosity, what don't you like about the roads? I get the dislike for the script heavy alternates... Those roads are, in my opinion, as close to the team has got to perfection.

I(adding my 2c) like, but think they are a sharp downgrade from the old thirds, which was my favourite wild jersey ever, and top in jerseys when it was retired.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Archived