2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

mikko-koivu-nhl-chicago-blackhawks-minne

I pretty much agree with your rankings except for one specific pairing.

This specific pairing is actually my third least favorite of the round (Both Anaheim v. Calgary pairings are 1 and 2). I hate both of these uniforms. The Wild's complete lack of red, lack of the best logo in sports, the phantom shoulder yoke, and use of vintage white is awful. To me, Chicago's road uniforms are the most overrated in the league, though I think it would be an easy fix by simply changing the numbers to red with a black outline.

Now, whether this bumps the entire matchup below Rangers-Capitals, I'm unsure of. The other pairing in this matchup is my favorite of all the possible pairings remaining.

The vintage white, or wheat as the Minnesota Wild have called it, has been with the team since the first skate touched the ice. The Wild aren't on the vintage white trend, they're just using their color palette. Also there is red on that green jersey, not a lot, but it's there. So it's not 100% completely lack of red.

I guess the same can be said about the Tampa Bay Lightning, who are very well using black on their uniforms. They are indeed using every color of their color palette, blue, white, and black...

471560686_slide.jpg

472089142_slide.jpg

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unpopular opinion: I hate Minnesota's current roads and thirds.

Just out of curiosity, what don't you like about the roads? I get the dislike for the script heavy alternates... Those roads are, in my opinion, as close to the team has got to perfection.

The woeful colour balance is my main issue; green and red are such a great combo, yet, aside from the numbers, the uniform uses only one of their two main colours (even though the crest features both). That, and the GINORMOUS names ruin it for me.

Perhaps "hate" was a bit strong, but nonetheless I still dislike them, especially since I know they can do much, much better.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

"I guess the same can be said about the Tampa Bay Lightning, who are very well using black on their uniforms. They are indeed using every color of their color palette, blue, white, and black..."

where´s the black ?

• Lightning streak on the bottoms
  • Outline around the numbers for the away uniforms

BTW, they need to drop the black altogether.

Unpopular opinion; what was wrong with their previous edge roads?

Aside from the very lame patch they used for those, nothing.

I agree with Bubba on the current roads...they are not terrible, but the color balance is way off. Red on the striping pattern would help a lot. And the thirds with the dumb script, no logo, and essentially no red are just awful. Separating colors (no green on Canucks logo, no blue on Giants white jersey, Ole Miss using red or blue but not red and blue) seems to be a trend. I don't like it.

I don't really like the Wild red either. Not that they wear it a lot. Shrinking the logo into a faux-retro circle is, at best, ALT material. I could deal with that as an alt (won about 5 times a year) along with something closer to their original set. POPULAR OPINION: They nailed it on their original set and almost everything they've done since has been a step in the wrong direction.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

"I guess the same can be said about the Tampa Bay Lightning, who are very well using black on their uniforms. They are indeed using every color of their color palette, blue, white, and black..."

where´s the black ?

The numbers on the blue jersey have a black outline as well..

They need to keep the black. They already are too Maple Leafy as is. They really could use black and silver. The primary logo would be 100000x better if it had touches of black and silver, and merchandise would actually look halfway decent.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

where´s the black ?

The numbers on the blue jersey have a black outline as well..

They need to keep the black. They already are too Maple Leafy as is. They really could use black and silver. The primary logo would be 100000x better if it had touches of black and silver, and merchandise would actually look halfway decent.

Silver would help, but they're going to look bad as long as they use royal blue. It's just too dark to pair with black. From any distance, the black outlines on the numbers (on both jerseys) appear to be blue, or at least the mind perceives them as blue unless they're in optimal light. Switching back to electric blue (maybe with black pants) would do a world of wonders.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

So, to reiterate, we can't have "Stars" and "North Stars" because that's far to confusing for fans, but we can have the Tampa Bay Maple Wings home white and away blue jerseys along with the Los Angeles Bolts/Tampa Bay Kings thirds?

So, to reiterate, we can't have "Stars" and "North Stars" because that's far to confusing for fans, but we can have the Tampa Bay Maple Wings home white and away blue jerseys along with the Los Angeles Bolts/Tampa Bay Kings thirds?

Yes. Names =/= Uniforms. You can legally protect a name and logo, you can't protect a fashion design (in this context).

Besides, people on these boards complain constantly about Tampa Bay's uniforms.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Because the Wild logo and the North Stars are no way related and the looks wouldn't go well together because the styles are different. All the others related to the team name or city.

Lady Liberty = New York

Cannon = Civil War

Futuristic Oilers = Still an oil drop

Crossing Sabres = Self explanatory

Mooterus = Dallas and Stars

Yellow Bruin = Bruin

Flaming Horse = Calgary and Flames

Using the Wild logo as something that represents Minnesota is a stretch. If the North Stars came out today and used the Wild logo as an alternate, we would all question it.

The Wild's logo does have a star in it.

If I remember correctly, they originally didn't have any black period on the current jerseys, but fans made them add some black back to the color scheme.

You're right, however, did you know that at first, they didn't even have the damn Lightning Bolts on the pants. Instead, it was just a white stripe on the pants. What a shame that would have been eh? Also, am I the only one who hates Minnesota's Stadium Series-Style Lace-Up collars? They ruin their jerseys in my opinion.

The Wild's uniforms and logo are some of the better ones in the NHL, but it can never match the sheer splendor of the Minnesota North Stars identity, which is a shame. If only there was a way to bring back one of the top 5 looks in NHL history, I'd be a happy man.

caseymns90.jpg

This was better than any North Stars sweater:

6SJ0Oqf.jpg

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

The Wild's uniforms and logo are some of the better ones in the NHL, but it can never match the sheer splendor of the Minnesota North Stars identity, which is a shame. If only there was a way to bring back one of the top 5 looks in NHL history, I'd be a happy man.

This was better than any North Stars sweater:

6SJ0Oqf.jpg

While I don't agree, that's still a fantastic uniform. Never should have ditched it.

Original Minnesota wild jerseys were the bomb. Should have never dropped the green one.

Apparently it sold poorly and the red one that replaced it sold like hotcakes, which is why it went away and the red one made the jump to the Edge setup.

In retrospect we might like it, but the people of Minnesota didn't bother with it much when it was on the ice.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

In my opinion, the Wild's new road jersey is by far the best jersey they have worn. Their original green jersey wasn't terrible by any means, however, it is a product of its time and the fonts were a mess. I think a green version of their away jersey would give the Wild one of the better looks in the NHL. Their original jerseys had socks that didn't match the striping on the jerseys where now, the entire look is nicely balanced. I'd say their current green jersey is a better look than the old green jersey, even though their logo is much better than that wordmark they use on their third jersey.

Archived