2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

The font and outline issues really hurt the Iginla-era set. While I strongly dislike black as the secondary colour, I could maybe live with it if it weren't for the black crest -- that thing needs to be white.

Also, Morgo, it seems you've softened your stance on the Flames' Edge set. Any reason why?

honestly, i think that is where the black works best. White/yellow just doesnt so it for me. red crest on a yellow jersey perhaps, but i doubt it too.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The font and outline issues really hurt the Iginla-era set. While I strongly dislike black as the secondary colour, I could maybe live with it if it weren't for the black crest -- that thing needs to be white.

Also, Morgo, it seems you've softened your stance on the Flames' Edge set. Any reason why?

I tried really hard to like them for the sake of getting in the Red Mile spirit this year. Unfortunately there's no two ways about it, the uniforms are still awful. The worst aspect by far is the blue Alberta Patch. Blue has no business on a Flames jersey in any capacity and the teams stubborn refusal to realize this is frustrating.

I disagree about the black crest. I thought it was a stroke of marketing genius at the time of its release. They took an old, classic logo and made it fresh again.

Perfect. I'd maybe go with a white logo and numbers on the red, but big picture? That's what they should be wearing.

Yeah that it is the definition of a shoulder patch. It's a great complimentary logo and should be on their home and road instead of provincial and national flags.

What I really love is that it conveys the same imagery that the Alberta flag patch does.

1000px-Flag_of_Alberta.svg_zpsmd9yt52u.p

7483_calgary_flames-alternate-2014_zps30

It took all the symbolism from the coat of arms on the flag and made a proper logo out of it. It's what they should have done in the first place!

The 2004 set with the new shoulder patch would look spectacular. The current set with new shoulder patch would be passable but still not great.

You got that right big man!

Flames_zpsumjtro6x.png

That is the IDEAL Flames jersey.

But... they will never go to it.

That concept is perfect! Exactly what they should be wearing.

t took all the symbolism from the coat of arms on the flag and made a proper logo out of it. It's what they should have done in the first place!

Exactly. I think the same imagery in a shield would look great as well.

I think the Flames pre-edge set were as close to perfection as the franchise has ever gotten. A similar but slightly updated striping pattern (which is almost what They have right now if you take away all the awkward vertical striping and piping) could easily end up being top 10 in the league, but for now they're stuck in the bottom 5 with seemingly no signs of an update.

I was going through the Sens season gallery tonight, and came across what is quite possibly my favourite uniform matchup in the entire league.

458543292_slide.jpg

I think teams like the Flames, Avs, Caps and Sens/Pens should look at sweaters like these as a barometer of how to build a modern identity. It's not so much about going 'classic' or 'fauxback', but reverting to bolder simpler design elements that have always worked in hockey. The need for flashy, complicated (see Flames, Sabres) or oversimplified (see Leafs, Coyotes) design elements thrived in the 90's and early 00's, but when Reebok took over they continued this trend not realizing that hockey sweaters at their core are simple and clean, and don't need to be so 'modernized'. The 90's passed us but in some aspects the sweaters got stuck with us. This is why the designs in hockey that we still talk about as among the best are looks like the '95-'07 Avalanche, or the '93-'06 Mighty Ducks, or the iconic original-6 looks whose design elements have practically stayed the same since the early days of the league; and not the pedestal Flames, or the gordon fisherman Islanders, or the post-edge Capitals.

*I'm talking about the oversimplified and overcomplicated teams just after (or before in the Sabres' case) the edge takeover, and I'm not necessarily calling the Avalanche, Ducks, or all the original 6 teams sweaters the best of all time, but we usually all agree that they are among the best we've seen in the league in the past few decades.

If it weren't for the actual pedestal itself, those unis would be the best in Flames history. I don't really have any love for the charcoaled Flames that followed but they still need black as an accent.

I don't disagree with you on the pedestal at all, but it's a good example of an unnessecary tacky 90's design element interfering with what might have been an excellent look by itself.

The pedestal is a terrible design choice. The fact it was used to represent their cup victory made it much worse (they don't plan on winning more?). I also find the way the shoulder yoke turns into the diagonal striping jarring but am not sure what how to fix it.

Fje0B5h.png

IIRC, that set was designed by a semi-famous artist. Shows what happens when you allow people with no understanding of hockey aesthetics to design hockey uniforms (as we call saw come 2007).

The one thing those uniforms had going for them was the colour balance. That's how you use yellow/red/black.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I just hate any Flames uni with a black helmet and breezers. If they insist on black, keep it to an accent color, but still be a red and yellow team. The Devils, Sens, Hawks, etc. have the black and red thing covered.

The 2004 set with the new shoulder patch would look spectacular. The current set with new shoulder patch would be passable but still not great.

Flames_zpsumjtro6x.png

I look at this concept -- and I like it -- but the black on the bottom half of the home sticks out like the crazy Gretzky "era" Blues red to me.

I don't hate the black C, but I wish they could incorporate more gold somewhere.

I just hate any Flames uni with a black helmet and breezers. If they insist on black, keep it to an accent color, but still be a red and yellow team.

Agreed. I know the black helps the gold stand out better, but FFS don't go overboard and make it the secondary color.

Flames_zpsumjtro6x.png

I look at this concept -- and I like it -- but the black on the bottom half of the home sticks out like the crazy Gretzky "era" Blues red to me.

I don't hate the black C, but I wish they could incorporate more gold somewhere.

What if the you altered the striping so there's less black?

Flames_zpsxrsrrhcm.png

Flames_zpsumjtro6x.png

What if the you altered the striping so there's less black?

Flames_zpsxrsrrhcm.png

1000 times better than the triangle hem that everybody universally seems to love for some reason. I know I'm in the huge minority but the triangle seems to take up far too much space and is nowhere near as appealing as traditional horizontal stripes...or even what you've done which looks nice. Next to maybe the weird olympic ribbon hemline, the triangle is my least favourite Flames look ever.

zzPEfBm.png

These were the Flames best jerseys. They should have been called the Alberta Flames. Then they could have kept those unis.

danbouchard.jpg

flamesmagicman.0.jpg

Further proof that the black added to the Calgary jerseys IS AN ABOMINATION! Bring back the 1989 Lanny MacDonald/Mike Vernon set and call it a day!

Archived