2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

The Lightning's current set is way better than anything they've ever had, however I would like to see a black alt.

If you consider ripping off Torontoand Detroit better than sure.

yup, only they look nothing like Detroit.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Lightning's current set is way better than anything they've ever had, however I would like to see a black alt.

Even though they used the exact same template they had worn for eighty-odd years?

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Even though they used the exact same template they had worn for eighty-odd years?

exact?

I think it's pretty obvious they look like Detroit. It takes willful ignorance to say "they look nothing like them".

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Not everyone in these past few posts may know this, so:

When the Lightning first unveiled their current look, the numbers were solid white, rather than white-black-white. Additionally, the lightning bolts weren't on the pants; instead, they had a simple, thick white stripe down each side. It was painfully obvious that Yzerman was going for a "Red Wings in blue" look, and the fans revolted until the team added some minimal touches of black and bolt to the new look. The Lightning promised more changes back toward a "traditional (for the Lightning)" look, but that never happened.

So when you see "Tampa Bay Maple Wings" or what have you on this board, there's good reason for it.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

They have actually grown on me.

Me too (although I hate watching them play against the Leafs).

I'm preaching to the choir here, but they really need a lot more black (and silver also). However, I like this look because it's a lot brighter than their previous looks which I felt were really drab. Sure, they won a cup in black, but there's already many teams wearing primarily black.

I like to think that the brighter, more 'kinetic' blue that they wear now resonates well with Florida and 'lightning' in general.

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

I've never hated them, but I just think they're a little too simple for a team called the lightning. I think even a lightning bolt down the pants would make them so much better.

They DO have a lightning bolt on the pants (now anyway).

They have actually grown on me.

Me too (although I hate watching them play against the Leafs).

I'm preaching to the choir here, but they really need a lot more black (and silver also). However, I like this look because it's a lot brighter than their previous looks which I felt were really drab. Sure, they won a cup in black, but there's already many teams wearing primarily black.

I like to think that the brighter, more 'kinetic' blue that they wear now resonates well with Florida and 'lightning' in general.

Same shade of Blue that they've worn since 2001-2002. Same shade the Maple Leafs wear.

Same shade of Blue that they've worn since 2001-2002. Same shade the Maple Leafs wear.

Thanks for the clarification! It always looked like they changed shades since they used so much black back then.

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

Not to mention that "Honolulu Blue" is what the Detroit Lions use and it doesn't look a thing like that shade of blue.

Honolulu_Blue_429709_i0.png

"Honolulu Blue" has been a number of different shades over the years:

DetroitLions_FRC_Blue01a_1964_SCC_SRGB.pDetroitLions_FRC_Blue01a_1979_SCC_SRGB.pDetroitLions_FRC_Blue01a_1996_SCC_SRGB.pDetroitLions_FRC_Blue01a_2001_SCC_SRGB.pDetroitLions_FRC_Blue01a_9999_SCC_SRGB.p

That 1980-1996 shade WAS EXACTLY what the Lightning called "Hawaiian Blue".

Bottom line: teams can call colors anything they want to. Doesn't mean a damn thing.

I remember the Lions wearing a much lighter shade of blue than that in 1980-1996.

I remember the Lions wearing a much lighter shade of blue than that in 1980-1996.

Not in print it wasn't.

The swatches from 1980-present reflect confirmed official Pantone values.

I honestly wouldn't mind a complete overhaul of the Lightning look. Name change, anything. Why do they find the need to completely resemble the Maple Leafs in every way possible?

Because of the retro-for-retro's sake fad around the NHL. Same reason why the Stars now look like the St. Patrick's Day Rangers.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I honestly wouldn't mind a complete overhaul of the Lightning look. Name change, anything. Why do they find the need to completely resemble the Maple Leafs in every way possible?

Because of the retro-for-retro's sake fad around the NHL. Same reason why the Stars now look like the St. Patrick's Day Rangers.

Coming from the guy that said these two jerseys were too similar, no. You don't get to have hockey uniform opinions.

Modano_NorthStars_672x412.jpgWillie+Mitchell+2014+Coors+Light+NHL+Sta

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

At least when the Stars played O6 dress up, there wasn't already a green and white team.

And they're already an old-school team. They have every right to go all retro if they want.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Archived