2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

The Lightning's current set is way better than anything they've ever had, however I would like to see a black alt.

I think they did the impossible and made it worse than anything they've ever worn. Wonderbread has illustrated it perfectly. It's hard to imagine the design process at SME lasting more than 5 minutes.

i13knfqcmk8oj54ft1vv0kdyh.gifh0wbzq7phfpj4h28r84whlrsu.png

ygerh6nhjvzn16hld1610rdk9.gif

yep a complete rip off of those two looks

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But nobody has issues with bringing these back...

0h2goofhm984dg3nesu3cpz2n.gif

i13knfqcmk8oj54ft1vv0kdyh.gif

I hate how much they look like the Leafs on highlights, the two blues should not be that similar. But to have problems because they look like Detroit? Then everyone should be upset that EVERYONE in lower leagues looks like Chicago in their white jerseys. They're everywhere.

Let's face it, it's a single stripe. It's not exactly groundbreaking design.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I hate how much they look like the Leafs on highlights, the two blues should not be that similar. But to have problems because they look like Detroit? Then everyone should be upset that EVERYONE in lower leagues looks like Chicago in their white jerseys. They're everywhere.

Finally, someone who's making sense. I never mistake the Leafs for the Lightning or the Lightning for the Leafs. Whenever they vs each other the first thing I think is "Oh great, the CCSLC is gonna go ape:censored: that they look the same." Lets be honest, it's the best look the Lightning have had, and sure it could use some improvements, but it's not the end of the world they look similar to other teams.

hockey week: Please don't tell me you can't see the difference between some low-level hockey team using an NHL team's pre-existing template to save money v. a team IN THE SAME LEAGUE using it.

Go Nordiques: When you're dressed head-to-toe in the exact shade of blue that another team first started wearing when the Goddamn Ottoman Empire still existed, it's kinda hard to not notice the similarities.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Finally, someone who's making sense. I never mistake the Leafs for the Lightning or the Lightning for the Leafs. Whenever they vs each other the first thing I think is "Oh great, the CCSLC is gonna go ape:censored: that they look the same." Lets be honest, it's the best look the Lightning have had, and sure it could use some improvements, but it's not the end of the world they look similar to other teams.

hockey week: Please don't tell me you can't see the difference between some low-level hockey team using an NHL team's pre-existing template to save money v. a team IN THE SAME LEAGUE using it.

Go Nordiques: When you're dressed head-to-toe in the exact shade of blue that another team first started wearing when the Goddamn Ottoman Empire still existed, it's kinda hard to not notice the similarities.

In other threads when I talked about the Blackhawks' white jersey being the best white jersey in the NHL because so many lower level teams use that pattern, it looks great in every color set and therefore is the best, numerous people said "it's just three stripes on a hockey jersey, it's not exactly original", so, if the design pattern is copied, I don't see the problem with it.

On the colors, I agree, they're far too similar, but the whole Detroit Lightning thing is silly.

Far fewer people have issues with these patterns being re-used in the same league at the same time....

f9ye1yi75vtlfddahfhl5fts0.gifjkdhasrnv6euzh6d5g25ghnf9.gif

1023972014.gifke2xd4e12brigo7crtq1ioigs.gif

645612014.gifygerh6nhjvzn16hld1610rdk9.gif

mtfhm5zhf63p4h0ptk42exw68.gifrrlwyb5i2npelnrk6zs4waxx7.gif

So maybe we should lay off the pattern-bashing. Only when they're the exact same color does anybody even notice the similarities.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

We derided the Hurricanes when they put out that look, and I think we all agree that the Penguins/Senators using the same template is dumb. Hell, speaking of the Lightning, that was their EDGE template too. Not only is it bad for three teams using it, it's a bad template.

The point at hand is, the Lightning, and the Hurricanes really, shouldn't have went where they are. They should have kept a similar aesthetic to what they've had. (Carolina with the flag stripes, Tampa with their pre-Edge look). But now they look like the red Maple Leafs and blue Red Wings. Two traditional Original 6 looks in two decidedly untraditional and 90s expansion/relocation markets. Two teams that had unique looks that were inherently there's take on new looks that aren't.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

^ I thought so too. I remember Howie Rose talking about it in a broadcast a few months ago.

I saw somewhere that today's game will be the last time the Isles wear those. Good riddance!

Yes, that's also what the radio guys said.

Far fewer people have issues with these patterns being re-used in the same league at the same time....

So maybe we should lay off the pattern-bashing. Only when they're the exact same color does anybody even notice the similarities.

People kind of did.

The stars wasn't compared to the Rangers as much, but there still was people complaining about the resemblance to the Blackhawks.

I do remember carrying on about how the Hurricanes were to closely related to the leafs and team Canada.

And if people weren't constantly complaining about how bad the Pens and Sens look, then they would be complaining about how similar they look.

The lightning isn't a separate case, only in the fact that people have been carrying on for so long. But it does pose a lot more striking similarities to the Leafs than any of those sets together above.

On the colors, I agree, they're far too similar, but the whole Detroit Lightning thing is silly.

The colours aren't similar. They're identical. The Lighting and Leafs use the exact same shade of blue. Lightning management even commented on that, saying they narrowed down the choices of blue to the shade the Leafs use and the shade the Yankees use. They decided to go with the Leafs' shade. The only thing separating their colour schemes would be the tiny amount of black added to appease fans of the team who were angry at its absence.

As for the Red Wings comparisons? Look at who's running the team and you'll realize why so many people think that.

I never cared for the purple and gold Kings look myself. Silver and black always worked best for them, in my opinion. That being said, these tend to get a pass due to the unique colour scheme. Detroit Red Wings template? Yeah, but no one else wears those colours so the uniform still stands out as unique. The Lightning, meanwhile, used the Detroit Red Wings' template and then used the Toronto Maple Leafs' colour scheme. The obviousness of one rip-off made the other that much more apparent (plus, Steve Yzerman).

Finally, someone who's making sense. I never mistake the Leafs for the Lightning or the Lightning for the Leafs. Whenever they vs each other the first thing I think is "Oh great, the CCSLC is gonna go ape :censored: that they look the same."

That's your first thought? And you still come here? Can we, as a community, finally put an end to the faux "too cool for school" mentality?

Lets be honest, it's the best look the Lightning have had, and sure it could use some improvements, but it's not the end of the world they look similar to other teams.

Best look they've had? Of course it is! It's worked out well for another team for close to a hundred years!

Not like "best uniform in Lightning history" is a high bar anyway. Their first couple of sets utilized a unique but classy template but used a set of logos that looked like they were doodled on a cocktail napkin. Their second major set used a great update of that logo, but stuck it onto a generic Reebok Edge template. Yes, it looks ok (Leafs comparisons aside, the new primary's skewed stylings bug me) but that doesn't mean it works for the team in question. The similarities to the Leafs (it's a very similar template and the exact same shade of blue) are obvious and downright comical when the two teams match up.

Oh good, we're having the "Lightning look like the Leafs/Wings" and "Stars look like the Hawks/Rangers" debates again. It had been far too long. :suspect:

It could have easily been avoided if the Lightning and Stars didn't choose to hop on the retro-for-retro's-sake bandwagon and blatantly rip off other teams.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Oh good, we're having the "Lightning look like the Leafs/Wings" and "Stars look like the Hawks/Rangers" debates again. It had been far too long. :suspect:

It could have easily been avoided if the Lightning and Stars didn't choose to hop on the retro-for-retro's-sake bandwagon and blatantly rip off other teams.
The Stars didn't rip off anyone. Who else was wearing kelly green as their primary colour when they redesigned?

Further, the team was founded in 1967. They can get away with the retro look. They aren't the G-ddamn Florida Panthers.

The Lightning deserve all the ridicule they can get. In a league of 30 teams there's no reason to look that similar to another team, let alone a team with the history of the Maple Leafs. You're a 90's Floridian expansion team, be a 90's Floridian expansion team. It'd be akin to the Marlins wearing the same uniforms and colors as the Red Sox.

The Stars though? The Stars have a look all their own even if one of the jerseys uses a very similar striping pattern as the Rangers. The white jersey is completely unique and the color scheme is theirs and theirs alone. You're not going to confuse the Stars with anybody else.

PvO6ZWJ.png

In other threads when I talked about the Blackhawks' white jersey being the best white jersey in the NHL because so many lower level teams use that pattern, it looks great in every color set and therefore is the best, numerous people said "it's just three stripes on a hockey jersey, it's not exactly original", so, if the design pattern is copied, I don't see the problem with it.

Amen brother! some people just won't let it go

I think it's pretty obvious they look like Detroit. It takes willful ignorance to say "they look nothing like them".

not really

Archived